World's biggest bus depot opens in New Delhi

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
World's biggest bus depot opens in New Delhi

New Delhi: Chief minister Sheila Dikshit on Friday inaugurated a bus depot spread over 60 acres near Indraprastha Park in east Delhi, claimed to be the biggest such facility in the world.

The bus depot, built at a cost of `61 crores, has parking space for around 1,000 low-floor buses besides facilities including five workshop-cum scanning centres, a logistic centre and two CNG filling stations.

The depot has been built to park the buses to be used during the Commonwealth Games. It has a baggage checking centre where sophisticated equipment will scan the luggage. "It is a wonderful peace of infrastructure which will help properly maintain our low floor bus fleet," said Ms Dikshit.

Transport minister Arvinder Singh Lovely said commissioning of the "biggest-ever public transport bus depot" will help in providing better transportation.

"It is the biggest ever bus depot in the world. Earlier, Israel had the distinction of having the biggest bus depot," he said.

The depot has a control room which will monitor movement of buses, fitted with GPS system, during the Commonwealth Games and ensure proper movement of the fleet.

Mr Lovely said that designer uniforms are being provided to all DTC conductors and drivers.

The city also became the first city in the country to introduce environment-friendly low-floor CNG-electric hybrid buses having almost zero pollution level.

Currently four such buses, each costing `1.5 crores, will be introduced in the DTC bus fleet.

A hybrid electric bus combines a conventional internal combustion engine propulsion system with an electric propulsion system.

Pintu

Good to see that, hope its well equipped for maintenance.

Regards

mayfair

Call me cynical, but being a pakka Dilliwala, I bet you that depot will look worse than ISBT and Sarai Kale Khan combined in less than 3 months time. Do not expect the dinosaurs at DTC to maintain any semblance of order. May end up seeing blue line buses loitering there with the screams of Ashram, Bhogal, Nizamuddin, ITO...ringing in the air.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
So after CWG will all those red buses be inducted into DTC? That's what happened with Hyderabad's "Veera" buses after National Games and Afro-Asian Games. They were added to APSRTC's fleet.

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
"It is a wonderful peace of infrastructure which will help properly maintain our low floor bus fleet," said Ms Dikshit.
Wonderful "peace" indeed.
I'm sure it will bring a lot of peace to the otherwise inhumanly crowded bus fleet after the CWG is done with.

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
Nice looking! I hope it is maintained well and discipline is kept there.

Metro has shown that India and Delhi can have world class infrastructure and maintain it well.

Illusive

Country flag
Maintaining won't be much issue if citizens take care that they don't litter, the Siemens train in mumbai has already turned from white to reddish due to paan spitting.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Maintaining won't be much issue if citizens take care that they don't litter, the Siemens train in mumbai has already turned from white to reddish due to paan spitting.
I dont understand why people do that ?

RAM

The southern Man
Country flag
I dont understand why people do that ?
lack of civic sense/discipline/education

Unless our fellow citizens feel for a moral responsibilty to keep good hygeine in all public infrastructure the code of conduct may fail.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador

Unless our fellow citizens feel for a moral responsibilty to keep good hygeine in all public infrastructure the code of conduct may fail.
Yep, we Indians suck at keeping things neat and orderly...

Go to Devon Street in Chicago; it is filled with Indians and it shows :(

StealthSniper

I think it's great that India's improving it's transportation and city infrastructure. I think the biggest hurdle for India is educating it's citizens on the environment and how they should keep themselves and the city clean and tidy.

Sabir

DFI TEAM
Yep, we Indians suck at keeping things neat and orderly...

Go to Devon Street in Chicago; it is filled with Indians and it shows :(
My wife told me a story that she had heard while being in Manchester............People of certain locality (I forgot the name but there have been significant Indian population) complained to the authority that streets in that particular locality are not kept clean...............Reply came.........Plz ask India government for that...........

May be joke.....still.......

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!

Ive noticed people dont think public space is also for them and instead dirty it while same people will keep there house clean while not caring how dirty the road infront of there house is.

Many people in India think in terms of "I/Me/Myself" rather than "We/Us". Look at rivers/water bodies in India and see how dirty they are while you'll get blue water in rest of the world.

sandeepdg

Rightly said, bro !! Indians just don't understand that the public transport and facilities are for everyone's use, can't understand why they are so indisciplined ! And they do it in front of their kids, what will they learn from their parents then, keep your home clean and dirty everyplace else ! We are worst when it comes to plain civic sense, I fear if tomorrow something like a Bullet train or Trans Rapid kind of train starts running, people will turn it into a local train level state in no time ! The Delhi metro is doing a good job at this by imposing fines for such pathetic uncivic behaviour, I think the railways and the roadways should also adopt such policies. Its the only people here will learn ! Like they say in Hindi "Laato ke bhoot batton sein nahin maante".

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
So after CWG will all those red buses be inducted into DTC? That's what happened with Hyderabad's "Veera" buses after National Games and Afro-Asian Games. They were added to APSRTC's fleet.
if i am not mistaken those red ones were already plying for the dilliwallas prior to the cwg so yes once these games are over all these will be on delhi roads ferrying around locals though with a higher ticket price tag.

thats bad but then people need to be fined there and then once they are found doing that. seriously dilli metro has been around now for good 8years now and if i am not mistaken it is as spic and span as it was the day that train service was dedicated to the city and so are the metro station.

anyways we will come to know how these buses are kept from the way those green ones have been kept so far and if those have been kept neat and clean so will these be.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles