World Cup T20 2009.

Who do you think will be the semi-finalists?

• Australia

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • England

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • India

Votes: 17 77.3%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Pakistan

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Souh Africa

Votes: 17 77.3%
  • Sri Lanka

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • West Indies

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pintu

Bad News :(

BBC SPORT | Cricket | International Teams | India | Injured Sehwag to miss Twenty20

Injured Sehwag to miss Twenty20

Defending champions India will be without batsman Virender Sehwag for the rest of the World Twenty20 after he was ruled out because of a shoulder injury.

The 30-year-old injured his right shoulder playing in the Indian Premier League and has been unable to play a competitive match whilst in England.

"Sehwag will return to India after consulting medical experts in England," a Indian board spokesman said.

India are awaiting clearance for Dinesh Karthik to replace Sehwag.

Karthik is expected to arrive in London ahead of India's first Super Eights match against the West Indies at Lord's on Friday.

The 24-year-old wicketkeeper has scored 67 runs in six Twenty20 internationals, with a highest score of 31 not out against South Africa in 2006.

Sehwag's record in 12 Twenty20 internationals is 223 runs at a strike-rate of 144.80 and he is a key component of the side.

"Viru is one of our main batsmen, so not having him around is a blow," admitted coach Gary Kirsten. "We need to work around his absence."

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
He isn't injured or anything IMO... the rumour mills are awash for quite a few days with reports that Dhoni and Sehwag don't see eye to eye anymore. Now, I would have dismissed them as just rumours except the fact that everybody came out and denied them...

Never believe anything until its officially denied...

But, there is a trend emerging with Dhoni, he simply eases out everybody he doesn't agree with or who is over 30 (with the exception of Tendulkar of course because he obviously knows he can't ease him out)...

johnee

He isn't injured or anything IMO... the rumour mills are awash for quite a few days with reports that Dhoni and Sehwag don't see eye to eye anymore. Now, I would have dismissed them as just rumours except the fact that everybody came out and denied them...

Never believe anything until its officially denied...

But, there is a trend emerging with Dhoni, he simply eases out everybody he doesn't agree with or who is over 30 (with the exception of Tendulkar of course because he obviously knows he can't ease him out)...
Monk,
I think you are reading way too much into all this. The way I read it is: Sehwag was injured. Perhaps he hid it initially. But once it came out, the Indian team in concert with BCCI was preparing to handle the situation. They tried Rohith Sharma as an opener in warm-up game and it worked. So, that gave them confidence to officially announce sehwag's injury and replace him. The decision as this are taken by the babus of BCCI and not the captain. Of course, captain's opinion is sought but the final 'pawer' lies with babus.
Rifts are common in any team, but our media makes a mountain out of mole hill.

luckyy

Monk,
I think you are reading way too much into all this. The way I read it is: Sehwag was injured. Perhaps he hid it initially. But once it came out, the Indian team in concert with BCCI was preparing to handle the situation. They tried Rohith Sharma as an opener in warm-up game and it worked. So, that gave them confidence to officially announce sehwag's injury and replace him. The decision as this are taken by the babus of BCCI and not the captain. Of course, captain's opinion is sought but the final 'pawer' lies with babus.
Rifts are common in any team, but our media makes a mountain out of mole hill.
why sahwag was selected at the first place.........wasn't medical fittness test was conducted before.........even zaheer having some problum in SA ............was he also fully fit or we are up for second replacement soon..

johnee

why sahwag was selected at the first place.........wasn't medical fittness test was conducted before.........even zaheer having some problum in SA ............was he also fully fit or we are up for second replacement soon..
players frequently hide their injuries becoz a forced rest due to injury may mean lose of position in team. Eg: Sehwag is injured and now Rohit Sharma has been promoted as an opener, he is already quite successful, if Rohit does really well in this tournament, then that would make things difficult for Sehwag. So, he hid it, but eventually it came out.

As for medical fitness test, they can always be manipulated.

Anyway, when team needs, they play the players even if they are not fully fit. But fortunately for India, we have plenty of replacements. Look at England, Peitersen is injured and not fully fit, inspite of that he is playing by taking pain killers.........

Su-47

I recall Sehwag injuring his finger in the IPL, and resting for a few matches. But he came back pretty well after that. He even looked very threatening in the semi against Deccan (which Delhi lost btw). The report by pintu shows he injured his shoulder in the IPL. When exactly did he injure the shoulder?

luckyy

i am only seeing crowed in the matches when india playing.........otherwise the stands are almost empy in other games......even in the most hype match between pakistan and holland , stands were empty...

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
India beat Ireland by 8 wickets, Zaheer took 3 wickets in 7 balls. :D

Man, I have been a Zaheer Khan fan for a long time, and it's great to see him back in action! If you ask me, he's way better than even Srinath or Venkatesh Prasad.

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
India beat Ireland by 8 wickets, Zaheer took 3 wickets in 7 balls. :D

Man, I have been a Zaheer Khan fan for a long time, and it's great to see him back in action! If you ask me, he's way better than even Srinath or Venkatesh Prasad.
I think he is a good bowler but tends to get overexcited at times. At least used to. He has become a better bowler with experience.

I remember the 2003 world cup final where he came all charged up to bowl and even gave an earful to the Aussi batsmen. Then it all went phut and all our bowlers were milked for runs at will.

He is a much improved bowler now from those days.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
He injured his shoulder during a match with the Chargers. Was the SF i think. He injured it while diving to save a four off Gilchrist.

luckyy

today's matches.......

srilanka / pakistan........6pm

india / england.............10pm

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
Group E: south africa, england, india, westindies.
Group F: srilanka, new zealand, pakistan, ire land.

Friday, June 12
Pakistan v Sri Lanka Lord's 18:00 IST
India v West Indies Lord's 22:00 IST

Saturday, June 13
South Africa v West Indies The Oval 18:00 IST
New Zealand v Pakistan The Oval 22:00 IST

Sunday, June 14
Ireland v Sri Lanka Lord's 18:00 IST
England v India Lord's 22:00 IST

Monday, June 15
England v West Indies The Oval 18:00 IST
Ireland v Pakistan The Oval 22:00 IST

Tuesday, June 16
New Zealand v Sri Lanka Nottingham 18:00 IST
India v South Africa Nottingham 22:00 IST

Thursday, June 18
E1 v F2, 1st Semi-Final Nottingham 22:00 IST

Friday, June 19
F1 v E2, 2nd Semi-Final The Oval 22:00 IST

Sunday, June 21
Final Lord's 19:30 IST

Arjak

Respected Member
Country flag
if gayle gone,then windies gone...........cummon zaheer do it again today

ZOOM

Founding Member
Rather then fearing West Indies Opening fear, I am most feared about West Indian bowlers against whom not many Indian Batsman has experience of playing with other then Bravo.

tharikiran

Country flag
Just have this gut feeling. Our spinners are gonna turn the match for us.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles