Why Rugby is a underpreformer in India???

HeinzGud

Country flag
Rugby union is currently a minor sport in India. However it is a fast growing sport as some Indian sporting clubs are beginning to embrace the game. It is the second most popular winter sport after association football in India, which itself trails greatly in popularity to cricket and field hockey.
India is rated 75th as of November 27, 2010, with 22,282 registered players, 6883 of whom are female.

Prehistory

India, like many other countries, had a few forms of folk football. Most of these have died out, but a Manipuri game, yubi lakpi is still played in the East of India. Emma Levine, an English writer on little known Asian sports, speculates:
"Perhaps this was the root of modern rugby? Most Manipuris are quite adamant that the modern world 'stole' the idea from them and made it into rugby... this game, which has been around for centuries, is so similar to rugby, which evolved a great deal later, that it must be more than a coincidence."[SUP][3][/SUP] However, traditional football games can be found in many parts of the world, e.g. marn grook in Australia, cuju in China and calcio Fiorentino in Italy and Levine provides no documentary or material evidence of its antiquity.

British Raj period

Like other sports founded in England and brought to India during the British Raj such as cricket, rugby union has a long history in India. The earliest trace of Rugby Football in India dates back to a scratch match or two played in Calcutta and Madras during the visit of H.M.S. Galatea in 1871. The teak goal posts used on the occasion of the Calcutta Match were afterward used by the C.F.C. up to at least 1886.

The first recorded match was played on Christmas Day 1872, at CFC in Calcutta, it was played between England and a combined team of Scotland, Ireland and Wales. The game caught on and had to be repeated within the week.
The game was now established. In January 1873, officers were appointed and the Club Rolls gave a total of 137 members. The Club colours were chosen as red and white, broad stripes.
From then on, rugby in India, lingered on at a very low key.[SUP][4][/SUP] Part of the reason for this was that the British preferred to play apart from their colonial subjects, leading to a low take up by the local population. Another reason was the climate, which meant that games would frequently have to be played in the evenings or early morning, which meant that it was not too popular with the colonists themselves.

20th and 21st Centuries

At its lowest ebb, in the 1980s, the Indian RFU was being run out of the Irish Consulate at the Royal Bombay Yacht Club's chambers.[SUP][4][/SUP] However, a fairly successful campaign in the 1990s put the game back on its feet.
Indian delegates were amongst those who went to the centenary congress of the International Rugby Football Board in 1986.[SUP][5][/SUP]
Currently, there are 17,874 registered players in the country and India are ranked 84th out of 95 nations in the IRB (International Rugby Board) world rankings. The home of rugby in India is considered to be Kolkata.[SUP][6][/SUP]

Calcutta Cup

On Christmas Day 1872, a game of rugby, between 20 players representing England on the one side and 20 representing Scotland, Ireland and Wales on the other, was played in Calcutta.
The match was such a success that it was repeated a week later — the game of rugby had reached India. These lovers of rugby wanted to form a club in the area and the aforementioned matches were the agents which led to the formation of the Calcutta Football Club in January 1873.
The Calcutta Club joined the Rugby Football Union in 1874. Despite the Indian climate not being entirely suitable for playing rugby, the club prospered during that first year. However, when the free bar had to be discontinued, the membership took an appreciable drop. Other sports, such as tennis and polo, which were considered to be more suited to the local climate, were making inroads into the numbers of players available.
In 1877 saw the downslide of the game and it almost died out, leaving behind a full coffer. The wise G.A.J. Rothney, who had been acting as Captain, Hon. Secretary and Treasurer of the Club at that time, proposed that the funds should be devoted to the purchase of a cup of Indian workmanship to be offered to the Rugby Football Union- the parent body of the game worldwide. The withdrawal of these monies was done in the form of silver coins which were then melted to craft the exquisite Calcutta Cup.[SUP][4][/SUP]
The members decided to disband but keen to perpetuate the name of the club, they withdrew the club's funds from the bank; which were in Silver Rupees, had them melted down and made into a cup which they presented to the RFU in 1878, with the provision that it should be competed for annually.[SUP][4][/SUP]
The cup is of Indian workmanship, approximately 18 inches (45 cm) high, the body is finely engraved with three king cobras forming the handles. The domed lid is surmounted by an elephant which is, it is said, copied from the Viceroy's own stock and is complete with a howdah. The inscription on the Cup's wooden base reads: THE CALCUTTA CUP.
This historical legacy has not been universally well-received, in fact, Sean Smith, whose book The Union Game: A Rugby History accompanied the BBC TV series of the same name, has said of it that:
"It speaks volumes for the traditions of class prejudice in England and Scotland that the two countries play each year for a trophy made in the Raj."[SUP][7][/SUP]

The other Calcutta Cup

In 1884 Calcutta Cricket and Football Club once again set up a rugby section and in 1890 set up an inter club trophy, the Calcutta Rugby Union Challenge Cup, promptly christened the Calcutta Cup.[SUP][8][/SUP]
The Cup is currently held by Jungle Crows who beat CC&FC The second division trophy was won by Calcutta Cricket and Football Club Panthers.

Rugby union in India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Rugby is not popular just as other sports are not. It's cricket, cricket and more cricket!'!

arshi

Because Indians are die hard fans of cricket than hockey (our national game) and our politician are more keen on playing Kabaddi (Tang khichai) no time for rugby.. :p

plugwater

"Football is a gentlemen's game played by hooligans and Rugby is a hooligan's game played by gentlemen" from movie Invictus.

Anyway one solution to make other sports more popular is by banning cricket.

HeinzGud

Country flag
I rather wondered why Indian like cricket better!! when even Hockey had a world cup under it's belt!!!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
We play Rugby in our School and so does our sister school in Lucknow.

We have our Rugby Team of old boys that has been playing Rugby in the Rugby league for ages!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Indians like cricket because that is where the money is and India rules International Cricket!

HeinzGud

Country flag
No No how all these cricket notion statred in '80s...????? How it got dominated the sports scene!

amitkriit

No No how all these cricket notion statred in '80s...????? How it got dominated the sports scene!
Cricket doesn't require costly gears, and a poor/jobless India had got the right conditions for it to spread.

HeinzGud

Country flag
Cricket doesn't require costly gears, and a poor/jobless India had got the right conditions for it to spread.
Hmmmmm................. fare enough for Rugby.................... But mate Playing cricket professionally cost money not in backyards!!!! I don't think most Indian can't spend money on rugby ball! or Is it a mere hoax!!!!

amitkriit

Hmmmmm................. fare enough for Rugby.................... But mate Playing cricket professionally cost money not in backyards!!!! I don't think most Indian can't spend money on rugby ball! or Is it a mere hoax!!!!
But a huge fan base which understands every detail of the game makes it sustainable and profitable.

KS

Bye bye DFI
LIke it or not..physically we cannot compete with the antipodean muscle or African muscle.

HeinzGud

Country flag
LIke it or not..physically we cannot compete with the antipodean muscle or African muscle.
If thats the case we wouldn't have 3 world cup winning nations in sub continet.............. Also we all are coming from Africa (Tamil, Sinhalese ............. etc...)

amitkriit

There are many Africans (Nigerians I guess) living in my locality. I haven't met one who is less than 6 feet tall, so far.

HeinzGud

Country flag
There are many Africans (Nigerians I guess) living in my locality. I haven't met one who is less than 6 feet tall, so far.
Rugby is not all about body weight............ weight is only important in scrummage only.......... rest is the ability to out run and out step your opponent while ability to absorb few tackles .......

Galaxy

Country flag
I don't know what kind of topic is this ??

Why under-performer through Wikipedia link ?? :confused:

We are under-performer in 90% Sports. All has more or less same reason.

My post was deleted but i said because this OP always starts thread like this and at end always try to criticze India and present SL as great power. He already did in his last 4 threads. His intentions are not good.

KS

Bye bye DFI
If thats the case we wouldn't have 3 world cup winning nations in sub continet.............. Also we all are coming from Africa (Tamil, Sinhalese ............. etc...)
Cricket is about skill..Muscle doesn't mean anything in cricket except when you a fast bowler..In rugby it is everything

Galaxy

Country flag
Here you go.

I was right by seeing 1st post !!

People don't change overnight !!

I won't reply to this BS !! :rofl:

Sabir

DFI TEAM
needless topic.... we dont even bother about football which is most popular game in the world. (We have thread on Indian football....90% posts are shared between Trojan and me :D)...how many of us know today we are facing maldives in Semi-final of Saaf cup...

Global Defence

New threads

Articles