Why do Submarine Officers get an extra salary ?

bhramos

Country flag
In a recent ad in TOI by Indian Navy I came to know that Indian Navy officers of Submarine arm receive Rs 83,500 per month as total salary(Basic+DA+Grade pay+MSP+Special pay+Transport+Housing) on completion of training. But those officers serving on-board surface ships receive Rs 66,500 per month on completion of training.

Why this discrepancy in salary?

Link to ad:http://nausena-bharti.nic.in/pdf/GP1/Adv.pdf
(See point 9)

NOTE:MARCOS and Submarine cadre receives the same salary.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
because sub environment is more dangerous, therefore more salary, same way if soldier is posted at siachen he receive more salary, it is additional benefit salary (forget the exact term) it is there in income tax act.

Uruk

In almost all if not all navies those serving aboard submarines have higher pay than those serving on land or surface ships.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Every submariner deserves more pay than regular duty. You can go crazy living in tight spaces like that, especially on a noisy Kilo.

Uruk

Sweden doesn't just allow female submariners but has a female sub commander and I think that the US has started to accept females on subs

Paula Wallenburg Commander of HMS Södermanland

Last edited:

kaustav2001

Country flag
Becoming a Submariner or a Tanker is the worst job ever in Military.
Can't say if it's the worst job, but it definitely is one of the toughest ones. I did see that episode & it really looked pretty tough (Hot, dark & cramped). I think it was also mentioned that showers aren't allowed as water is rationed so they have special disposable medicated clothes. So really hats off to these brave sailors to do a fine job in such a demanding environment.

ajay_ijn

Country flag
may be its not entirely unrelated. But do Soldiers posted in Siachen get a better pay than troops posted in much less intense environment like Punjab? Soldiers in Siachen probably deserve highest pay considering their peacetime conditions are so much more worse risking their lives.

noob101

AFAIK, No country allows women to sail in submarine due to the hectic condition. Heck that would be worst blunder!!
Many countries allow women to serve on submarines..... ex Spain and Sweden
also Both the USN an RN submarines allow women to severe on them although its a recent development

LINKS:
USN
USN2

RN

Sweden

Blackwater

Why do IN sub officer receive 25% more salary than other IN officers

Becoz they are more close to GOD:p:p:p

Country flag
Sub officers have to spend weeks to months in isolation this should be
more than enough reason for the pay difference.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Submariners live out their lives in nearly total secrecy, most men abroad a submarine have no idea of their exact position apart from the navigator and the commander, add to that irregular hours of deployment with no fixed deployment times being disclosed until long after they have already set sailed the cramped conditions and constant high stress and risk environment and i say that extra pay is well deserved!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Get into a submarine and realise it!

Especially a Russian one!

pmaitra

I heard that even those who work in tanks also have extra pay? Is that correct w.r.t. IA?

Vishwarupa

Country flag
I feel irrespective of whether its submariner or fighter pilot, any armed personnel who is serving the country should be given salary higher than politicians & bureaucrats in India( but accordingly to rank).

Armed personal play is always under danger

Mr.Ryu

Country flag
@bhramos

Bro why dont they ?

IMO they are fully eligible to get the extra cut after all they live in the most hostile environment.

lemontree

Professional
I heard that even those who work in tanks also have extra pay? Is that correct w.r.t. IA?
No there is no special pay for the armd corps.

As far as I remember, special pay is for the following categories:-

- Submariners (hazard allowance while serving on a sub)
- Medical Doctors (non-practicing allowance)
- Engineers.
- All arms - serving in field.
- All arms - serving in high altitute.
- Pilots - flying bounty.
- Paratroopers - jump pay.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
More then an extra pay submariners should be given a especial subsidy on deodorants :laugh:

Global Defence

Articles