Who's the under-achiever now? Outlook gives Obama the title

Discussion in 'Foreign Relations' started by Blackwater, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

[​IMG]

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

New Delhi: After some serious bashing by international media over the slow pace of reform, the Prime Minister found two white knights today. First, Ratan Tata tweeted that "Attacks on the architect of 1991 reforms which brought us prosperity is sad and unfortunate. It's wrong to single out the PM for inflation, low investment confidence and slow growth."

Then came the news that Outlook magazine's next edition, which hits the stands soon, has a cover story that brands President Obama "The Underachiever." That was the title bestowed on Dr Manmohan Singh two weeks ago by Time Magazine in its Asia edition. (Outlook India's website)

The Outlook cover says, "America needed a reboot. He promised hope and change... can his lofty rhetoric carry him home again?" Time's cover on Dr Singh had asked, "India needs a reboot. Is Prime Minister Manmohan Singh upto the job?"

Also Read
    Time magazine is late to the party, say BJP and Nitish about PM critique
    On Monday, the Independent, a UK newspaper, ran a piece on Dr Singh that started out with a headline that asked if he was "saviour or Sonia's poodle." After tweaking its headline on its website a few times, the piece finally settled on the considerably milder "India's Saviour Or Just the 'Under-Achiever'?"

:taunt::taunt:

Who's the under-achiever now? Outlook gives Obama the title | NDTV.com

3. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

Outlook has consistently surprised me, they are ballsy. I had fallen prey to the online rhetoric against it but I am happy to stand corrected.

4. thakur_ritesh

thakur_ritesh Administrator Administrator

Outlook ought to have a closer look at home than worry about others!

Sridhar and sob like this.
  5. Predator

Predator Regular Member

vinod mehta proved again why he is called congress ka chamcha

Instead of attacking obama he should have honestly assessed manmohan's performance or rather non-performance

Questioning obama's record wont solve india's economic woes, outlook and vinod mehta should have know that

panduranghari, Raj30, Sridhar and 2 others like this.
  6. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

Mehta has retired as e-i-c of Outlook. And if they are C ka C explain Radia tapes expose ?

Lets take each story at its face value. Lets not turn into Pakistanis, who call each other names and see conspiracies everywhere.

And Outlook has written plenty about the current domestic situation. They obviously felt that they need to write about Obama, so they have. And I welcome it.

ejazr likes this.
  7. Predator

Predator Regular Member

@Singh, vinod has officially retired but still he is the man to goto when major news stories are broken. sonia trusts only him to keep outlook editorial policy in line. after a short cooling off period congress intends to get him elected to rajya sabha.

regarding nira radia tapes it helped sonia immensely to cut down DMK to size, who were demanding more and more portfolios in the cabinet and were pressuring centre to change foreign policy regarding srilanka. see where they are today, as silent as a bheegi billi.

Raj30 likes this.
  8. sob

sob Moderator Moderator

Lines criticizing PM Manmohan Singh found in Outlook’s “The Underachiever” cover story on Obama | The UnReal Times

ejazr likes this.
  9. ejazr

ejazr Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

10. bhramos

bhramos Elite Member Elite Member

Revenge....and Flattery!!!!

[​IMG]

11. LETHALFORCE

LETHALFORCE Moderator Moderator

India's Outlook dubs Obama 'underachiever' after Time cover

BBC News - India's Outlook dubs Obama 'underachiever' after Time cover

[​IMG]

An Indian magazine has dubbed US President Barack Obama "the underachiever" on its latest cover, two weeks after US-based Time magazine did the same to India's prime minister.

Time magazine's cover labelling Manmohan Singh as "the underachiever" prompted heated debate in India.

Using Time's words on Mr Singh, Outlook reads: "America needed a reboot".

Outlook's editor denied the cover was a "tit-for-tat" response to Time or an expression of support for Mr Singh.

But the words on the cover of the magazine reads: "He promised hope and change. Four years on, President Barack Obama's sheen is gone. Can his lofty rhetoric carry him home again?"

Time on its cover had asked a similar question: "India needs a reboot. Is Prime Minister Manmohan Singh up to the job?"

India's government has recently come under heavy criticism for what many are calling "policy paralysis".

'Focus on Obama'
    Outlook's editor told the BBC that they had been "planning an Obama cover for a long time" and that it was "not tit-for-tat" journalism.

"Our focus is not Time magazine. Our focus is Mr Obama.

"We are trying to do the American election in a slightly different way. We are trying to take a long, hard look at Obama and his performance in the last four years," Krishna Prasad says.

Mr Prasad said their story was about "Mr Obama's performance vis-a-vis India, the world and within America".

"Frankly, if you view him with an Indian eye, or a non-American eye, you will understand that just as Manmohan Singh comes across as an underachiever, Barack Obama, for all his hype and expectation, he too come across as an underachiever, whether you like it or not."

Mr Prasad rejected criticism that Outlook was trying to defend the government.

"We are not saying that Time was wrong in calling Manmohan Singh an underachiever. I do think he is an underachiever, but I think you can make the same charge about Obama.

"Some day later, we may say something about David Cameron. We look at the world in a very dispassionate way, like the BBC," Mr Prasad said.

Mad Indian likes this.
  12. KS

KS Bye bye DFI Veteran Member

Re: India's Outlook dubs Obama 'underachiever' after Time cover

hehehe Vinod Mehta just went a bit overboard in his enthusiasm...

13. ashdoc

ashdoc Senior Member Senior Member

vinod mehta is nothing but a kadcha ( big spoon ) of congress---expected from him.....

14. spikey360

spikey360 Crusader Senior Member

How big a sycophant following the Congress has. Granted Obama is to a large extent an underachiever. But portraying it in a way similar to Time is just tasteless and lacks originality, not to mention a definite boot lick to Congress party.

15. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

Whether it is tasteless or not is subjective. On the other hand, it was a quid pro quo edition, so of course, by nature it cannot be original.

16. spikey360

Perhaps. But, Outlook says otherwise. Here you go.
    Ingenuous indeed.

pmaitra likes this.
  17. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

Ummm, I would have to (partially) disagree here. See, people have been discussing Obama's poor performance for quite a long time. This one is from May: Now Obama's Poor Economic Performance Makes Sense | The Strident Conservative

Perhaps this is a coincidence? Perhaps deliberate?

It is true though that Obama has not been able to do many of the things he promised when he was campaigning for Presidency against McCain.

Edit: Thanks for the correction though. Now I know Outlook has denied it was a quid pro quo.

18. spikey360

True. I concede my defeat. This guy promised too much and delivered too little.

19. mayfair

mayfair Elite Member Elite Member

I have no love lost for either MMS or Obama..so am happy to sit back and enjoy the catfight.

I do wonder why no media organisation- foreign on domestic has done any report on Sonia's kingdom.

ani82v likes this.