WHO: India capital is world's dirtiest city

CCP

India capital is world's dirtiest city - World - nation.co.ke

NEW DELHI, Thursday

New Delhi is the dirtiest city worldwide, a World Health Organisation report has revealed.

A study of 1,600 cities across 91 countries released by WHO showed Delhi had an annual average concentration of airborne small particles of less than 2.5 micrometres in diameter, known as PM 2.5, of 153.

This was almost three times as high as the reading for Beijing of 56 despite the Chinese capital's reputation for smog, and 10 times that of London.

But India denied the reports and accused WHO of bias.

"We have data for New Delhi which is not biased," Gufran Beig from the state-run System of Air Quality Weather Forecasting and Research (SAFAR) told AFP.

"It takes into account the data taken from 10 air quality monitoring stations spread around the capital in an unbiased way. It is not misleading," Beig said.

MONITORING STATIONS

The WHO used data for New Delhi from 2010 to 2013 from five monitoring stations in residential and other areas.

The data from China, where authorities are under pressure to be more transparent about pollution, was from 2010, the last year for which figures were available.

"We are now studying the data for 2011-14 which we have procured from the US embassy in Beijing. This will help us arrive at a more accurate comparison," Beig said.

The WHO stressed that its new air pollution database, which relies mainly on data gathered by the cities themselves, did not aim to rank cities." PM2.5 particles are very small in size and can easily enter the body and interfere with the functioning of the lungs.

They are also associated with increased rates of chronic bronchitis, lung cancer and heart disease.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
yeah sure it is ... sure , Dacca Bangladesh is cleaner ? , Lagos Nigeria is cleaner ? oh yeah ?
all those capital cities of Africa are cleaner ? yeah ? Mr Friendly Fliendry Fiend ?

Is it fair to compare New Delhi with the smaller cities of the world , Mr Guest Poster who doesn't know how to behave as a guest ? or what about your lovely twin city of Karachi where there are much more shootings and l«killings than Delhi - now that's real dirt for you Mr Chinese Fiend ? or you prefer shootings to some litter on the streets , what about Mexico city - one rape per second ? to be preferred to litter ?

this reminds me of an incident some years ago where a certain tv station from the USA showed the dirty parts of cities in Argentina - the Argentinians responded by showing even worse dirty parts of cities in the USA

The lead post in this thread is exactly the reason why i have suggested to ADMIN to issue Chinese members a
"guest status" symbol on their avtar and at the foot note of their posts - because they come on our Indian forum
with one express purpose - and no prizes for figuring what that is.

i hope some members will agree with me that it is better we do something about the CCP members of our forum
eg give them special guest status etc etc ( there are many administrative and labeling options ) and it is preferable
we do it now than wait till it becomes a real irritating problem - as we experienced with another member recently

of course the scale of the problem is not quite as bad - but should we always deal with a problem only when it gets
really serious ? why not nip it in the bud, I'd say .

Last edited:

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
Very believable. Indians themselves know it. Otherwise they wouldn't wander around looking like the Taliban.

Indians are literally choking & drowning in the filthy environment they live in.

On my latest trip to India, I fell sick with the worst cold and sore throat I've have in recent memory due to breathing in polluted air during a rickshaw ride.

According to research, Indians have on average 25% compromised lung function compared to westerners and are far more prone to a host of lung related infections and diseases including cancer.

If a country can't even provide an absolute basic necessity like clean air for its citizens, like they say in Hindi, "Chullu bhar pani mein doob maro", i.e., "Go drown yourself in a puddle of water".

thethinker

Country flag
Very believable. Indians themselves know it. Otherwise they wouldn't wander around looking like the Taliban.

If a country can't even provide an absolute basic necessity like clean air for its citizens, like they say in Hindi, "Chullu bhar pani mein doob maro", i.e., "Go drown yourself in a puddle of water".
You might want to express the same concerns to Chinese govt, surely they would love to hear from a concerned Chinese citizen like you.

Last edited:

fyodor

Country flag
CCP is a 50 cent marxist...do have sympathy for the poor guy

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
What a dumb and misleading title. It's about air quality not dirtiness as it is commonly understood.
One should not overlook the fact that the Chinese of China are handicapped as far as comprehending English is concerned.
will i be wrong? china has a history of brainwashing camps and "marxist re-education" for the political astray
According to your standard, probably 95% of Chinese could be counted as "50 cent marxit".
CCP is a 50 cent marxist...do have sympathy for the poor guy
fine ....so they come and pollute our forum with their 50centers ? sympathy ? - NO WAY ....IF yes IF , i had my way
behave or show them them the door, is what i'd say
whatever problems they have, in THEIR country those should stay
dont bring them here, otherwise we'll make you pay
not with your usual 50 cents but with a series of admin measures on your pathetic tray

let's rid our forum of such junk - guys it's already summer here - let's make some hay ?

Last edited:

fyodor

Country flag
fine ....so they come and pollute our forum with their 50centers ? sympathy ? - NO WAY ....IF yes IF , i had my way
behave or show them them the door, is what i'd say
whatever problems they have, in THEIR country those should stay
dont bring them here, otherwise we'll make you pay
not with your usual 50 cents but with a series of admin measures on your pathetic tray

let's rid our forum of such junk - guys it's already summer here - let's make some hay ?
you seem to be on fire

kickok1975

CCP, you are a shameful idiot by judging your post.

You are doing China no good but spread more hatred toward China

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
CCP, you are a shameful idiot by judging your post.

You are doing China no good but spread more hatred toward China
To be frank, I don't think Indians hate China.

I can say with utmost honesty we do not hate the Chinese people. They are very nice and friendly and of that there is no doubt and I have interacted with many, not only in India, but abroad also.

What actually is the underlining problem is more complex and whatever I am writing now is a tip of the iceberg and hardly totally correct.

We are a democracy and so we have been exposed to the western reports on China and USSR. As you will appreciate, the West has projected USSR and China as hellholes with total mindcontrol of its people. That is rightly or wrongly ingrained in our (well, most of us in India) mindset.

Further, being a democracy, it is difficult for us to understand that people under totalitarianism can live as free thinking and independent individuals when the atmosphere a totalitarian regime does portray is more like an army camp, where there is efficiency no doubt, but where one jolly well obey orders even if they don't like it.

The actions of the Chinese Govt on its own people (as learnt from the western media) and the actions of the Chinese internationally, gives rise to a view that the Chinese Govt feels that they alone are right and all others. domestically and internationally, are wrong.

That is not what happens in a democracy.

That is what rankle.

Is it justified on our part or is it not is the moot question, but then we go by what is happening and the old mindset niggles.

Last edited:

abhi_the _gr8_maratha

Country flag
@Known_Unknown sir
But none found that the girl was wearing handkerchief because of sun and not the dirt
solar rays exerts uv ray, vitaminD
if your skin absorbs to much vitamin D you can faint and to avoid this act our body spreads albino(don't remember name exactly) which makes us dark . And dark skin filters vit. D and you know how indian girls are crazy about fair complexion
@Known_Unknown
btw is it nitzsche as your avatar?

Last edited by a moderator:

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
India capital is world's dirtiest city - World - nation.co.ke

NEW DELHI, Thursday

New Delhi is the dirtiest city worldwide, a World Health Organisation report has revealed.

A study of 1,600 cities across 91 countries released by WHO showed Delhi had an annual average concentration of airborne small particles of less than 2.5 micrometres in diameter, known as PM 2.5, of 153.

This was almost three times as high as the reading for Beijing of 56 despite the Chinese capital's reputation for smog, and 10 times that of London.

But India denied the reports and accused WHO of bias.

"We have data for New Delhi which is not biased," Gufran Beig from the state-run System of Air Quality Weather Forecasting and Research (SAFAR) told AFP."It takes into account the data taken from 10 air quality monitoring stations spread around the capital in an unbiased way. It is not misleading," Beig said.

MONITORING STATIONS

The WHO used data for New Delhi from 2010 to 2013 from five monitoring stations in residential and other areas.The data from China, where authorities are under pressure to be more transparent about pollution, was from 2010, the last year for which figures were available."We are now studying the data for 2011-14 which we have procured from the US embassy in Beijing. This will help us arrive at a more accurate comparison," Beig said.

The WHO stressed that its new air pollution database, which relies mainly on data gathered by the cities themselves, did not aim to rank cities." PM2.5 particles are very small in size and can easily enter the body and interfere with the functioning of the lungs.

They are also associated with increased rates of chronic bronchitis, lung cancer and heart disease.
The pic they have put seems to be misleading since it seems like fog which is normal in Jan specially in the morning. Just see the cloths people are wearing.

Also Mr CCP can't you even do more than a copy-paste since you just copied it and no formatting. I am not surprised since you are form a COPY-PASTE nation.

Looking at usual pollution FOG which came in recent news China should be in top 5 list.But hey China banned many news channel which reported pollution in China so just because you HIDE doesn't mean its the reality.

The situation in Delhi is NOT as bad as they are projecting but if you are coming from a 1st world nation then you might suffer mild issues. Delhi is still the greenest among lot of cities with about 15% green/forest area. Before CNG was introduced the situation was indeed bad.

Last edited:

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Latest news from Super clean no-pollution China.

Pollution scare forces Chinese city to cut off tap water

Authorities in the Yangtze River city of Jingjiang cut off tap water for the day, citing unknown pollutants in the latest in a series of incidents that are raising concern among urban Chinese over the quality of water they drink.

The move follows similar cases in the northwest city of Lanzhou – later traced to years of oil spills in surrounding soil seeping into the city's water treatment infrastructure – and in the central city of Handan, following an unreported chemical spill upstream.
More

China plans to release a national water pollution plan later this year, as it becomes increasingly open about the damages wrought by decades of unchecked development. Government statistics already show that half of China's rivers are contaminated, and three-fifths of groundwater is unsuitable for drinking.

Beijing has already issued a plan to curb air pollution in prosperous eastern cities, after week-long stretches of heavy winter smog turned air quality into a national obsession. A soil pollution report issued in April for the first time shed some light on the extent of that problem, concluding that nearly 20 per cent of arable land was contaminated.

Jingjiang, a city of half a million people upriver from Shanghai, is a major centre for shipbuilding and also houses a large textile industry, either of which could be the source of the pollution. A local media report citing "authorities" said a collision between ships on the busy Yangtze had been ruled out as the cause of the pollution, without saying what the pollutant was.

"We don't have the results yet and we don't know the source of the pollution," said an employee at the local environment protection bureau, "but there's an emergency reservoir in the public park."Photos posted online showed residents filling buckets from the lake in the park and filling shopping carts with bottled water.Whatever the cause, the pollutant is unlikely to affect Shanghai at the mouth of the Yangtze because it gets its water from the Huangpu River, a tributary. A year ago, a cascade of floating pig carcasses in the Huangpu raised alarm over the quality of water supply in China's wealthiest city.

China is investing $536bn in wastewater treatment and water purification plants during the five years to 2015, but one-quarter of its citizens still do not have access to clean drinking water.

abhi_the _gr8_maratha

Country flag
The pic they have put seems to be misleading since it seems like fog which is normal in Jan specially in the morning. Just see the cloths people are wearing.

Also Mr CCP can't you even do more than a copy-paste since you just copied it and no formatting. I am not surprised since you are form a COPY-PASTE nation.

Looking at usual pollution FOG which came in recent news China should be in top 5 list.But hey China banned many news channel which reported pollution in China so just because you HIDE doesn't mean its the reality.

The situation in Delhi is NOT as bad as they are projecting but if you are coming from a 1st world nation then you might suffer mild issues. Delhi is still the greenest among lot of cities with about 15% green/forest area. Before CNG was introduced the situation was indeed bad.
simply the photo is captured at early morning of winter where there is fog or mist , bad anyone can guess it like you did

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles