Which countries have nuclear weapons

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-17511816

Now we all know which countries have nukes.

The point I make here is for the fanboys and jingoes in China, Pak and India who say they can blow away the world.

Check the column which says operational warheads and the figure next to it for the three countries. It says "0"!!

That is because all three countries keep their nukes in component form.

No one has any on hair trigger and best up, none have a first strike arsenal.

pmaitra

Summary:

CountryOperational and strategic weapons*Total arsenal**
Russia2,43010,000
US1,9508,500
France290300
China0240
UK160225
Israel080
Pakistan090-110
India080-100
North Korea0Fewer than 10

SOURCE: FEDERATION OF AMERICAN SCIENTISTS, AS OF 6 MARCH 2012

*Strategic weapons are designed to target cities, missile locations and military headquarters as part of a strategic plan
**Total arsenal inventory includes non-strategic and non-deployed weapons as well as stockpiles

Link: BBC News - Which countries have nuclear weapons?

trackwhack

BBC News - Which countries have nuclear weapons?

Now we all know which countries have nukes.

The point I make here is for the fanboys and jingoes in China, Pak and India who say they can blow away the world.

Check the column which says operational warheads and the figure next to it for the three countries. It says "0"!!

That is because all three countries keep their nukes in component form.

No one has any on hair trigger and best up, none have a first strike arsenal.
Yusuf, do you really think a deployed nuclear submarine has weapons in component form and does not have first strike capability?

But either way, the funniest part is the estimate on China. 240, yeah right.:rolleyes:

Country flag

pmaitra

Pm the real way to accurately guess nuclear capability is to look at a nations fissle stockpile.

Even counting missile may not be accurate case and point
Many Indian missiles can be dual use nuclear and non nuclear
Prithvi,brahmos,shaurya etc...
That's right. The more fissile stockpile one had, the more nukes they can prepare. I would also look at the enrichment capacity and the estimates of stockpile of enriched fissile material. However, these being state secrets, we can, but only have estimates.

Country flag
That's right. The more fissile stockpile one had, the more nukes they can prepare. I would also look at the enrichment capacity and the estimates of stockpile of enriched fissile material. However, these being state secrets, we can, but only have estimates.
In my fast breeder thread I posted fissile material stockpile estimates, I don't remember exactly but indian
Stockpiles were greater than a few p5 nations.

pmaitra

In my fast breeder thread I posted fissile material stockpile estimates, I don't remember exactly but indian
Stockpiles were greater than a few p5 nations.
I think you were talking about this post (it's about Plutonium only I think):

Tehelka - India's Independent Weekly News Magazine

A Washington study on nuclear material security says India is almost at par with Pakistan in terms of nuclear arsenal, but is far behind China, having only a third of the nuclear warheads China has.

The report says India is one of the few countries that produce Highly Enriched Uranium (HEU) and plutonium. It says India's nuclear weapon arsenal is based on plutonium while the production of HEU is chiefly intended to fuel a fleet of three to five nuclear submarines.

The study basically shows the progress made in reduce the risk of nuclear terrorism since the US-sponsored Nuclear Security Summit (NSS) in April last year. It is meant as a status update, halfway to the next summit in 2012.

"Pakistan is thought to possess an arsenal of 90-110 nuclear weapons. This number reflects a significant recent increase, as Pakistan is believed to have doubled its nuclear arsenal over several years. Virtually all of its fissile material stockpiles are designated for military use; Islamabad does not have a civilian plutonium programme and its civilian stocks of HEU are estimated at 17 kilos," the report noted.

India's nuclear weapon arsenal is estimated to be roughly 80-100 warheads, based on plutonium. It is estimated that 0.5 tons of India's plutonium stockpile are weapons-grade, while the remaining 3.5 tons are reactor-grade. China has some 240 nuclear warheads.

In terms of fissile material holding, India tops in plutonium in the region, possessing 4 plus/minus 0.65 tonnes as compared to China's 1.8 plus/minus 0.5 tonnes and Pakistan's 100 kilos.

India has much lesser HEU, 1.3 plus/minus 0.5 tonnes compared to China's 16 plus/minus 4 tonnes and Pakistan's 2.6 plus/minus 1 tonne.

The report refers to China signing a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the US in January to set up a nuclear centre of excellence and India signing a similar MoU in November last to establish a Nuclear Energy Centre with a nuclear security component in Gurgaon.

Estimating that China has some 240 nuclear warheads, the report says "little is officially known about the status of China's nuclear weapons and fissile material stockpiles, which Beijing has never disclosed".

It, however, noted that China is thought to have stopped producing fissile material for weapons around 1990, but without a formal declaration to date.

Pointing out that Beijing's stocks of fissile materials are entirely devoted to military activities, the report says "this may change in the coming years if China goes ahead with plans to develop a commercial-scale reprocessing plant".

The report points out that the biggest threat of nuclear material theft comes from Russia, which has the world's largest stockpile of nuclear weapons—770 plus/minus 120 tonnes of HEU and 175.7 tonnes of plutonium—stored in the largest number of buildings and bunkers.

An estimated 11,000 nuclear warheads and hundreds of buildings containing nuclear material mean that Russia is central to a broader nuclear security agenda, the report noted.

The second largest stockpile is with the US—614 tonnes of HEU, 91.9 tonnes of plutonium and 5,113 nuclear weapons deployed and reserved plus several thousand waiting to be dismantled. The report says the majority of the US fissile material stockpile is designated for military purposes.

The US uses 260 tonnes uranium for weapons and reserves 230 tonnes as fuel for naval reactors. While 38.3 tonnes of plutonium is either in weapons or weapons laboratories and the rest has been declared as 'excess' to be disposed off.

The nuclear status of some other countries is: UK: 225 nuclear heads, 21.2 tonnes HEU and 92.9 tonnes plutonium; France: 300 nuke heads, 30.9 plus/minus 6 tonnes HEU and 91.9 plus/minus 15 tonnes plutonium; Germany: non-nuke state but with 920 kg HEU and 9.5 tonnes plutonium, 7.5 tonnes of which is stored outside the country; Japan: no nuclear arms, 2,000 kg HEU and 46.1 tonnes of plutonium, 36.1 tonnes of which is stored outside the country.

Israel is believed to possess some 80 nuclear weapons, 0.3 tonnes HEU and 0.8 tonnes plutonium. The report notes that these estimates are highly uncertain as the Israel government "maintains extreme secrecy over every aspect of its nuclear development, from its still-unacknowledged nuclear arsenal to its fissile material stockpiles to its nuclear security arrangements".

There is no official word on the nuke stockpile in Iran and Iraq. The UAE, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Jordan, Morocco and Malaysia are believed to have no nuclear material.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Yusuf, do you really think a deployed nuclear submarine has weapons in component form and does not have first strike capability?

But either way, the funniest part is the estimate on China. 240, yeah right.:rolleyes:
Do you know that China does not send its boomers with nuclear tipped missiles?
Yes chinese deterrent is about that number. For years the western intel had overestimated te number till it became clear that the Chinese had a smaller arsenal.

trackwhack

fissile material is relevant only if your arsenal is primarily based on fission bombs.

100 kg's of HEU or pure plutonium, is enough for any of the p5 to put together 30-40 fusion bombs.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Fissile material stockpile does not mean we have warheads. Fissile material is reactor grade and has to be enriched to weapons grade and ten make bombs. India can make over a 2000 warheads with all that fissile material but we don't need to.

Again point of the thread is to show the three countries dont have deployed nukes on hair trigger including china. If there is any move to operationalise, it will be caught. I don't think we will ever be "surprised" with a first strike by Pak unless out intel is off to sleep and our "radars are tuned to star plus".

trackwhack

Do you know that China does not send its boomers with nuclear tipped missiles?
Yes chinese deterrent is about that number. For years the western intel had overestimated te number till it became clear that the Chinese had a smaller arsenal.
Why would you have boomers without missiles? If a boomer is your second strike capability, you obviously must have warheads mated to missiles, of course, they wont be armed, but mated for sure.

Clear about arsenal how? Whose research indicates that?

China's primary threat is still the US. If the US and Russia feel it is necessary to hold thousands of warheads, why would China be comfortable with 240? The truth is no one knows how many warheads China has and dont be surprised if its way over 1000.

It is silly to believe that China still has a weapons stockpile that has not changed in the last 30 years when their economic might has grown so much and they have almost replaced Russia as the US's primary threat and vice versa.

trackwhack

Fissile material stockpile does not mean we have warheads. Fissile material is reactor grade and has to be enriched to weapons grade and ten make bombs. India can make over a 2000 warheads with all that fissile material but we don't need to.

Again point of the thread is to show the three countries dont have deployed nukes on hair trigger including china. If there is any move to operationalise, it will be caught. I don't think we will ever be "surprised" with a first strike by Pak unless out intel is off to sleep and our "radars are tuned to star plus".
No one gives a shit about the Puki nukes anymore. A Puki launch is them signing their own death warrant and as an Indian I am willing to accept the collateral in India knowing that once and for all the silly state will be denuked, absolved and split into tiny military testing facilities and bases for India.

China on the other hand is an existential threat to India as far as I am concerned and the sooner we demonstrate to them that we are an existential threat to them, the better. The sooner we attain threat parity the better.

KS

Bye bye DFI
How come India is in the 80-100 range for the last 3 or 4 years...:rolleyes:

Somewhere something is not adding up...;)

GUNS-N- ROSES

i think this whole nuclear weapons stockpile thing is grossly over rated. its best to have a credible nuclear deterrrent and not indulge in meaningless production. after all if u have assured second strike capability with MIRV technology even a stockpile of 25 weapons is more than enough to deter.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
How come India is in the 80-100 range for the last 3 or 4 years...:rolleyes:

Somewhere something is not adding up...;)
Coz we are not ramping up our stockpile like the Pakis. Maintaining nukes is a costly and dangerous affair. As far as i know, India's aim is to get to about 200 warheads in the future. We keep a non weaponised stockpile of bomb grade plutonium that can be converted to warheads in days.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
i think this whole nuclear weapons stockpile thing is grossly over rated. its best to have a credible nuclear deterrrent and not indulge in meaningless production. after all if u have assured second strike capability with MIRV technology even a stockpile of 25 weapons is more than enough to deter.
It is exact that. But fanboys don't get it. China deterred the mighty Soviets with 12 1st generation bombs!!

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
It is exact that. But fanboys don't get it. China deterred the mighty Soviets with 12 1st generation bombs!!
I think it was American pressure that deterred the Soviets, not the Chinese nuclear arsenal. The Red Army could have easily overrun North China, and unlike the West the Soviets were not afraid to take casualties in a nuclear war (limited as it may be, in the case of China).

trackwhack

Flawed argument, The Russians were numbered 120 million, with 10 million of them in Moscow alone. Russia's top 10 urban centers constituted in excedss of 40% of their population. 12 warheads was deterrence enough.

Our deterrence against China has to be one-one. Maintaining a nuclear arsenal is not going to drain the country, we have enough spending power to maintain an arsenal of 200+ weapons. But the most important aspect is neither the number of weapons, nor the yield. It is the demonstrated capability to meet the claimed yield - which as much as you sugar coat it, is NOT THE CASE. This has nothing to do with being a fan boy.

Once again, Indian nuclear weapons strategists dont know more that the collective wisdom of the P5. Look at that chart and please tell me why a country that will have more people than any other within the next 10 years still feels safe with that kind of firepower around and hardly anything to repel it.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles