• 2024 or 2028

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • A long time from now (2032+)

Votes: 17 48.6%
  • Never

Votes: 8 22.9%

• Total voters

S.A.T.A

Right before the CWG Mani Shankar Aiyar's drew lot of criticism for his 'not favoring games over the poor' remarks,now we all seem to concur with the honorable ex sports minister.I suppose Mr Aiyar can pat himself on the back on this.

JayATL

Pros- every such event is a huge boost to the local economy ( private institutions and business) and absolutely terrific for upgrades in the local states infrastructure. Atlanta had the most cell towers in the US when we had our Olympics in 96 plus new broaden roads etc etc.

Cons - it's almost always is a huge loss of money for the govt itself vs what they pay out. the prestige attached to it is no longer a status symbol

captonjohn

Country flag
Never! At least until we change our system and make it that much efficient and effective so that Kalmadi type of people won't survive. We don't want again CWG type disaster and after that all politician will play dirty game of abusing each other instead of doing something.

sandeepdg

Cows and unruly hooligans on the track will add glamour ,adernalin and skill to the grandprix.I suggest to even have potholes and oil slicks to the track .We need to make it desi
Why don't you come down to Greater Noida and get a lowdown on the experience yourself when it happens !

sandeepdg

Not before 2047, when we attain 100 years of our independence ! Then we can comprehend whether we have the infrastructure, the resources and competent athletes to pull such a huge stunt, and if not then postpone it till we meet these criterias.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
when we have adequate sports facilities throughout the country.

JayATL

Pros- every such event is a huge boost to the local economy ( private institutions and business) and absolutely terrific for upgrades in the local states infrastructure. Atlanta had the most cell towers in the US when we had our Olympics in 96 plus new broaden roads etc etc.

Cons - it's almost always is a huge loss of money for the govt itself vs what they pay out. the prestige attached to it is no longer a status symbol
My quote above gave the Pros and cons and I still voted by 2032. It is still is net plus investment for India inc because it would increase tourism ( foreign exchange) and I figure by 2032 , India would need more new infrastructure investment and nothing spells instant new candies for a city(s) like a project of this magnitude. I don't care how many gold medals you win- that's a nice cheery on top but solely as a reason is purely superficial. typically the interest in sports goes up by the youth- preceding the games in ones country too- ( does not hurt that they would now have world class facilities thanks to the games )

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
never to avoid embarrassment
well to avoid the embarrassment , the level of athletics and sport has to improve and as many illustrious persons had opined during the lead up to the CWG of last year , they said that there should be more facilities for the locals instead of the money going into building huge , empty stadiums.

so i thus voted for 2032+ and i hope that gives the indian PEOPLE ( who should be what it's all about , and NOT a venue for foreigners to practice ) a chance to improve and then it will be neccessary to monitor indian standards before taking on such an internationally watched venture

JayATL

if you build it. they will come...

2032 is the year they will announce a nike shoe after me -worn for the indian Olympics called the Nike " Bitchslap' series. twenty twenty will be a new sport induction.

pmaitra

When should India host the Olympics?
When India has some credible possibility of being in the top 10 of the medals tally (in both the conventions: (1) based on the number of gold medals and (2) based on the total number of medals), not before that.

For a 1.3 billion + population, if India cannot even come in top 10, then Indians should not embarrass themselves by hosting Olympics. CWG was good enough.

JayATL

^^^there is no foundation of sports other than cricket , which is cheap to play for all. sports is an after thought in the schools. here take the ball and go kick around = PE teacher most of the times.

pmaitra

^^ True, except that Cricket is not cheap. Football is (not to be confused with the 'football' where you hold the non-spherical 'ball' in your hands :D ).

One problem is that people who had potential try hard and once they get fame, they simply get into show biz or politics and fade away. I have not seen many consistent athletes from India.

Rage

DFI TEAM
I'll second S.A.T.A. on this.

But I'll say that this is happenin' mighty fast. There are massive Olympic sports complexes being built across the country and corporates have taken to it in a big way. Worli has one under construction- a large dark blue building, together with the Sardar Vallabbhai Indoor Stadium, in Mumbai. You can see it en route to the seaface on Keshavrao Madhye road.

I voted 2028. Because, as much as a stimulus is needed to invest in infrastructure to be able to host a world-class sporting event like the Olympics, the event itself acts like a stimulus.

Vladimir79

Professional
India should host it when they can make a profit from it. It is business as much as prestige.

mayfair

No Olympics for us. Do we really need to give the bloody netas and the parasitic babus another reason to plunder tax payers money?

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
When india becomes sporting powerhouse then it should host Olympics.

Rage

DFI TEAM
No Olympics for us. Do we really need to give the bloody netas and the parasitic babus another reason to plunder tax payers money?
I don't get this, corruption is no reason not to do things.

Landfill and construction are immense money-generators too, so are roads, does that mean we do not build em?

To put this in perspective, China's estimates for the 2008 Beijing Olympics were $4 billion; by some estimates, it ended up costing them over $70 billion. Where'd all that money go?

Don't ask, don't tell.

Fact is, we have a system in place that tells us the corruption that's goin' on in our country. They don't. They still managed to pull off a spectacular games. The problem for us is, to get a man in place that will get things done, and on time. Despite the corruption, despite the nefariousness.

The mistake the Government has made is to discharge control of the Indian Olympics Association, a supposedly arbitrary body, that has instead become a fiefdom for the fvcker that has held its reins since 1996: you know who I'm talkin' about, Suresh Kalmadi. The politics of the place needs to be eroded first, and then a series of laws passed that will effectively give the Government, and the people, power over them.

Of course the Int'l Olympics Association is constantly breathing down our neck, because it is supposed to be their charge. So, you have two conflicting dynamics goin' on at two different levels.

This, right here, is a start:

India risks Olympics ire with new sports boss law

Last edited:

plugwater

About corruption we don't have much choice in here, We would never be able to stop corruption its in our blood, So i would prefer someone like Lalit modi as incharge than someone like kalmadi.

Secondly we don't decide the year to host Olympics, we can only bid and pray to god coz IOC is run by freaks, Noone will have any idea until they announce the winner. So imo we should start bidding for 2020 summer Olympics onwards hopefully we will get the chance by 2024 or 2028. If some Asian country wins the bidding in 2020 or 2024 means we are screwed it ll push our chance beyond 2040.

Anil Sankar

Come on guys, we can do it.

Kalmadi will now have a second chance, and this time everyone will watch closely on all progress, and there will have no chance to corrupt!

pmaitra

I don't get this.

Yes, if there are Olympics, there will be infrastructure development.

However, can we not have infrastructure without Olympics? Infrastructure does not need the excuse of Olympics. What has Olympics got to do with infrastructure anyway?

The only thing from the economic aspect is that many foreigners will come and spend money. Anyone's got any estimate as to how much it could be?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles