We are not Pakistan

blueblood

Your call, Mr Modi

The vagaries of geopolitics sometimes throw up strange and unexpected bedfellows. As in human relations, there are some who are keen, eager and willing to join the party while others may have to be lured or coerced. The US is a past master and manipulative host of such parties and appears to have enticed India to come to its party in the Asia Pacific.
The US has exploited India’s prime national vulnerability of a severely bloated false ego, an inflated sense of self-importance and grossly misplaced self-assumed greatness. The US has managed to convince it of the inevitability of its “singular role” at the global level and its “undeniable destiny” as a major power broker of the 21st century and its place by its side as its “natural and strategic partner.”
India, as expected, has fallen for it hook, line and sinker.
It is clearly venturing into unchartered territory here, punching way beyond its weight and calibre. It is now a part of the emerging US led Asia Pacific cabal along with Japan and Australia. They are pursuing the US pivot to the Asia Pacific and its primary aim to contain and manage the rise of China.
But does India have the wherewithal, the economic stamina, the political and military will, skills and capacity to commit itself to such an extensive and high stakes adventure on a consistent and long term basis; disregarding China’s concerns and responses?
Under the Modi Doctrine, India has started to look East. Encouraged by US patronage, it already has lofty pretensions of creating spheres of influence of its own in the Asia Pacific and Indian Ocean regions. It also wants to (a bit prematurely, one would surmise) help define the security paradigms in the Asia Pacific and be recognized as a proactive security provider for lesser regional powers.
While India impetuously looks East it cannot remain oblivious of its immediate West where nuclear Pakistan, a sworn Chinese ally, is blocking all its land trade routes to the fossil fuel riches and economies of the Middle East, Turkey, Central Asia and beyond to Russia and Eurasia. The most critical factor in this entire geographical equation is the “Wagah-Torkham Link”. It has such great strategic importance (for India) that it even made a shoddy attempt during the latest SAARC moot to somehow acquire it under the garb of “regional interconnectivity”. It failed miserably, Mr Modi’s sulk thereafter notwithstanding and much to the chagrin of Mr Ajit Doval, the “Chanakya” in his team.
India’s main Sea Lines of Communication (SLOC) lie in the West towards the Middle East, Africa, Europe and the Americas. It gets its major supplies of oil from the Middle East. With Gwadar emerging as a vital port (and a possible future naval base) at the mouth of the Straits of Hormuz, India might want to reconsider its total commitment to the Asia Pacific. Naval Forces operating out of Gwadar would overwhelmingly dominate its western SLOCs. Does it expect to have enough military resources in the near future to deploy them judiciously between the areas of operations in the subcontinent, in its spheres of influence in the Indian Ocean and the Asia Pacific and still have some to secure its western SLOCs? Or does it intend to fight more than one major regional conflict at any one time - a la the US! Even the US is hard pressed to do that today; much less delusional India.
Mr Modi must realize that in order to become a player of the major league at the global level India has to first emerge as the clear, singular and overwhelmingly dominant power in South Asia. It has first to become a regional power, a regional hegemon in fact and then expand its sphere of influence in the extra regional dimensions before it can even think in global terms.
For that to practically happen it must first and foremost neutralize and break free of nuclear Pakistan. It will either have to defeat Pakistan militarily and reduce it to the status of a genuine vassal state or it can earn its willing cooperation by resolving all outstanding issues with it on the basis of sovereign equality and respect. Mr Modi must opt for one of these options.
It is evident that Mr Modi will be unable to do so through military means. Any conflict, no matter how small and apparently insignificant between the two has the potential to rapidly escalate into the nuclear dimension - despite Mr Doval’s strategic appraisals to the contrary. The consequences of such confrontations are too horrendous to even contemplate. It would set India’s global ambitions back by multiple decades if not centuries. He has tried and will continue to fail with coercive diplomacy. His meaningless though boisterous rhetoric and blatantly anti-Pakistan and anti-Muslim biases will not scare a self-confident nuclear Pakistan. The ceasefire violations along the LOC, the working boundary and the international border are unlikely to make any worthwhile impression on nuclear Pakistan either. With the political changes in Afghanistan gaining strength and credibility, maintaining and sustaining anti Pakistan terrorist groups astride the Durand Line and in Balochistan will become increasingly counter-productive and self-defeating for India.
The only way he can “free up” India and its Armed Forces from being perpetually hinged and pegged to sub continental issues and be able to play any kind of external role at the South Asian, regional, Asia Pacific and even global levels is by engaging Pakistan diplomatically and coming up with fair and just solutions to all issues between them led by the core issue of Jammu & Kashmir. Period.
Else, the desires and ambitions of Messrs Modi and Ajit Doval notwithstanding, India will remain stuck at the sub-continental level for ever. It will remain consigned to a “petty Pakistan-centric middling power” and be unable to realize her potential at the regional or global levels, if any.
Your call Mr Modi - or is it Mr Ajit Doval’s?

The author is a retired Brigadier, a former Defense Attache’ to Australia and New Zealand and is currently on the faculty of NIPCONS (NUST). He can be contacted at [email protected]

Imran Malik

The writer is a retired brigadier, a former defence advisor to Australia and New Zealand and secretary general of Pakistan Forum for Security and Development.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Neo , this is exactly why you lose wars. When your officers not only suffer from paranoia, delusions of grandeur and self-importance, they readily pass them onto the next generation by teaching at the country's premier institutions like NUST.

I never noticed your signature before but now that I have, I don't think I can ever see you as a rational Pakistani.

You are free to ignore it if you want.

Don't worry I am going mail my answer (written below) to him as well. I can teach my maid to be better at Geo-politics than the sorry bunch who study under him.

Last edited:

blueblood

The vagaries of geopolitics sometimes throw up strange and unexpected bedfellows. As in human relations, there are some who are keen, eager and willing to join the party while others may have to be lured or coerced. The US is a past master and manipulative host of such parties and appears to have enticed India to come to its party in the Asia Pacific.
The fact that you think Indian populace and establishment lacks the intelligence to tackle US advances is amusing if not laughable.

We are not Pakistan.

The US has exploited India’s prime national vulnerability of a severely bloated false ego, an inflated sense of self-importance and grossly misplaced self-assumed greatness. The US has managed to convince it of the inevitability of its “singular role” at the global level and its “undeniable destiny” as a major power broker of the 21st century and its place by its side as its “natural and strategic partner.”
You are absolutely right. While the strategic partner good old US of A is yet to register a sale in return for the Indo-US Civil Nuclear Deal and the NSG waiver, Kudankulam (Russia) is operational and Jaitapur(France) is about to go under construction. Same goes for the Australian uranium deal. Its true Indians feel very exploited but still;

We are not Pakistan.

It is clearly venturing into unchartered territory here, punching way beyond its weight and calibre. It is now a part of the emerging US led Asia Pacific cabal along with Japan and Australia. They are pursuing the US pivot to the Asia Pacific and its primary aim to contain and manage the rise of China.
But does India have the wherewithal, the economic stamina, the political and military will, skills and capacity to commit itself to such an extensive and high stakes adventure on a consistent and long term basis; disregarding China’s concerns and responses?
India is the third largest economy (PPP) and fourth largest military in the world. Both are growing at a steady rate. If anything India has been punching way below its weight for quite sometime now. For the Asia pivot, I don't see US drones flying from Indian soil. I don't see US warships parked in Indian ports. Do you?

India developed the ability to successfully navigate international relations way before Pakistan learned to spit shine American, Chinese and Saudi boots.

We are not Pakistan.

Under the Modi Doctrine, India has started to look East. Encouraged by US patronage, it already has lofty pretensions of creating spheres of influence of its own in the Asia Pacific and Indian Ocean regions. It also wants to (a bit prematurely, one would surmise) help define the security paradigms in the Asia Pacific and be recognized as a proactive security provider for lesser regional powers.
Under the "Modi doctrine", India started to look East in 1991. If only you knew how to google, world would have been a much happier place to live. A couple of unimportant benefits of US patronage and "Modi doctrine".

a) Berthing facility for Indian Navy in Vietnam since mid 2000s and training of Vietnamese submariners in return.

b) Strategic relations with Singapore which includes providing them with air space and fire ranges to train since late 1990s?

We are not Pakistan.

While India impetuously looks East it cannot remain oblivious of its immediate West where nuclear Pakistan, a sworn Chinese ally, is blocking all its land trade routes to the fossil fuel riches and economies of the Middle East, Turkey, Central Asia and beyond to Russia and Eurasia.
Apparently you are yet to learn the difference between friends and masters which is just sad.

There are only two nations in the world who have a prefix to their name, nuclear Pakistan and nuclear North Korea. There are no nuclear China, India, France, UK etc. Just the two highly successful, envy of the world type of nations. "Do zinda dil qoumein". Self importance much?

If only the author knew about the following.

a) Chabahar port and the land route to Afghanistan and Central Asia.

b) Proposed under water pipeline from Iran via Oman with possible extension to Turkmenistan. Iran may also act as a beachhead for Qatar's gas as well.

As you might have noticed that the very communal Modi is also a very efficient administrator and statesman. No, well first you have to remove the wool in front of your eyes.

We are not Pakistan.

The most critical factor in this entire geographical equation is the “Wagah-Torkham Link”. It has such great strategic importance (for India) that it even made a shoddy attempt during the latest SAARC moot to somehow acquire it under the garb of “regional interconnectivity”. It failed miserably, Mr Modi’s sulk thereafter notwithstanding and much to the chagrin of Mr Ajit Doval, the “Chanakya” in his team.
Frequent changing of diapers with the mere mention of Modi, Doval or Chanakya is as I have mentioned earlier very amusing.

The said "most critical factor in this entire geographical equation" is another example of "self-importance". While the smarter nation like Pakistan failed to succumb to "Chanakya niti", others were not that lucky and ended up signing BMIN regional motor vehicle agreement which entails fluid movement of vehicles, people and cargo.

Another such ruse is the SAARC satalite. You have been warned. In my very very verrry humble opinion, Pakistan should step up and lead the SAARC from the front because;

We are not Pakistan.

India’s main Sea Lines of Communication (SLOC) lie in the West towards the Middle East, Africa, Europe and the Americas. It gets its major supplies of oil from the Middle East. With Gwadar emerging as a vital port (and a possible future naval base) at the mouth of the Straits of Hormuz, India might want to reconsider its total commitment to the Asia Pacific.
It is quite obvious that Gwadar is the next Singapore if not Hong Kong if I dare say so myself. According to the eminent scholar Faisal Raza Abidi, "naaliyon mein dollar bahenge" and I hate to admit it but I think he is right.

Since I have already mentioned Iran, Chabhar and all that, I will only say;

We are not Pakistan.

Naval Forces operating out of Gwadar would overwhelmingly dominate its western SLOCs. Does it expect to have enough military resources in the near future to deploy them judiciously between the areas of operations in the subcontinent, in its spheres of influence in the Indian Ocean and the Asia Pacific and still have some to secure its western SLOCs? Or does it intend to fight more than one major regional conflict at any one time - a la the US! Even the US is hard pressed to do that today; much less delusional India.

"Naval forces" operating out of Gwadar consisting of toothless 40 year old frigates are definitely a concern for Indian Navy. I mean despite the fact we have overwhelming superiority over Pakistan navy we don't have the "courage of a pious Pakistani".

I mean who cares for the fact that Indian Coast Guard alone operates more aircraft than Pakistan Navy and will overtake it in near to mid future in terms of tonnage. A single PNS Rajshahi (P-140) is more than enough for the timid Indian Navy. Our delusions are getting better of us, again. It is a shame that;

We are not Pakistan

Mr Modi must realize that in order to become a player of the major league at the global level India has to first emerge as the clear, singular and overwhelmingly dominant power in South Asia. It has first to become a regional power, a regional hegemon in fact and then expand its sphere of influence in the extra regional dimensions before it can even think in global terms.
For that to practically happen it must first and foremost neutralize and break free of nuclear Pakistan. It will either have to defeat Pakistan militarily and reduce it to the status of a genuine vassal state or it can earn its willing cooperation by resolving all outstanding issues with it on the basis of sovereign equality and respect. Mr Modi must opt for one of these options.
I am pretty sure that author will bless China with the same wisdom because as far as I know China is not the clear, singular and overwhelmingly dominant power in East Asia.

But he is right about the nuclear Pakistan and need for India to break free. Since we cannot defeat a nuclear power in war there must be some way to reduce it to a vassal state. Let's consult our good friend USSR. For reducing a nation to nothing we are going to need.

1) Overwhelmingly corrupt politicians - check

2) Overwhelmingly corrupt military - check

3) Overwhelmingly corrupt judiciary - check

4) Incompetent institutions - check

5) Economy in shambles - check

6) Education and health in shambles - check

7) Highly radicalized, violent and divided society - check

I think you get the idea. If you didn't please inform me. Damn, why is that;

We are not Pakistan.

It is evident that Mr Modi will be unable to do so through military means. Any conflict, no matter how small and apparently insignificant between the two has the potential to rapidly escalate into the nuclear dimension - despite Mr Doval’s strategic appraisals to the contrary. The consequences of such confrontations are too horrendous to even contemplate. It would set India’s global ambitions back by multiple decades if not centuries. He has tried and will continue to fail with coercive diplomacy. His meaningless though boisterous rhetoric and blatantly anti-Pakistan and anti-Muslim biases will not scare a self-confident nuclear Pakistan. The ceasefire violations along the LOC, the working boundary and the international border are unlikely to make any worthwhile impression on nuclear Pakistan either. With the political changes in Afghanistan gaining strength and credibility, maintaining and sustaining anti Pakistan terrorist groups astride the Durand Line and in Balochistan will become increasingly counter-productive and self-defeating for India.
Author do not need to remind us that the world has recognized our misdeeds and consider us as a pariah and failed state. We are well aware of our diminished reputation as the leader of the "Hindu Jagat" (birather concept to Muslim Duniya).

It is about time we understand the importance of democracy, education, infrastructure and all that BS and kick the military Junta that has been making a fool out of us since day one. I feel sorry that;

We are not Pakistan.

The only way he can “free up” India and its Armed Forces from being perpetually hinged and pegged to sub continental issues and be able to play any kind of external role at the South Asian, regional, Asia Pacific and even global levels is by engaging Pakistan diplomatically and coming up with fair and just solutions to all issues between them led by the core issue of Jammu & Kashmir. Period.
Else, the desires and ambitions of Messrs Modi and Ajit Doval notwithstanding, India will remain stuck at the sub-continental level for ever. It will remain consigned to a “petty Pakistan-centric middling power” and be unable to realize her potential at the regional or global levels, if any.
With the world leaders and industries and FDI flocking towards Pakistan we have to admit to our fallacies. The only way we can do that is to amalgamate church and state and infuse more and more religion in our lives.

Ever since Pakistan managed to get its priorities straight we have no choice but to follow the suit. Thank you Mr Malik and @Neo for changing not just my perceptive but for changing the future of nuclear India.

Thank you.

The author is a retired Brigadier, a former Defense Attache’ to Australia and New Zealand and is currently on the faculty of NIPCONS (NUST). He can be contacted at [email protected]

http://nation.com.pk/columns/08-Jan-2015/your-call-mr-modi
If only we had such visionaries. This is exactly the reason why;

We are not Pakistan.

Last edited:

angeldude13

Lestat De Lioncourt
Country flag
I skimmed through few lines and I realised something is not right.
Then I scrolled through the page to see writers name and as usual I was right. Writer is a baki from al-baki land.
I am up for criticism of India's foreign policy but this is too much. Pakis are bunch of delusional ******s :lol:

Zebra

Country flag
Cold War 2 will be very very interesting. For sure.

warrior monk

Is this what has been passed as scholarship in Pakistan guess when majority of the population of a country fall on the left side of the bell curve what else can you expect.

indiandefencefan

Country flag
Its the type of :bs: one would expect from a delusional pakistani officer that too retired.
Its simply a waste of time as the author has chosen his materials selectively and completely ignored all Indian foreign policy overtures instead choosing to concentrating and old and outdated facts which have no effect today's geopolitics.

anupamsurey

Country flag
ha ha ha same here dude, by just reading few lines you can guess the source of stink.:lol::lol:

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
Your call, Mr Modi

While India impetuously looks East it cannot remain oblivious of its immediate West where nuclear Pakistan, a sworn Chinese ally, is blocking all its land trade routes to the fossil fuel riches and economies of the Middle East, Turkey, Central Asia and beyond to Russia and Eurasia. The most critical factor in this entire geographical equation is the “Wagah-Torkham Link”. It has such great strategic importance (for India) that it even made a shoddy attempt during the latest SAARC moot to somehow acquire it under the garb of “regional interconnectivity”. It failed miserably, Mr Modi’s sulk thereafter notwithstanding and much to the chagrin of Mr Ajit Doval, the “Chanakya” in his team.
India’s main Sea Lines of Communication (SLOC) lie in the West towards the Middle East, Africa, Europe and the Americas. It gets its major supplies of oil from the Middle East. With Gwadar emerging as a vital port (and a possible future naval base) at the mouth of the Straits of Hormuz, India might want to reconsider its total commitment to the Asia Pacific. Naval Forces operating out of Gwadar would overwhelmingly dominate its western SLOCs. Does it expect to have enough military resources in the near future to deploy them judiciously between the areas of operations in the subcontinent, in its spheres of influence in the Indian Ocean and the Asia Pacific and still have some to secure its western SLOCs? Or does it intend to fight more than one major regional conflict at any one time - a la the US! Even the US is hard pressed to do that today; much less delusional India.

Imran Malik

The writer is a retired brigadier, a former defence advisor to Australia and New Zealand and secretary general of Pakistan Forum for Security and Development.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Neo , this is exactly why you lose wars. When your officers not only suffer from paranoia, delusions of grandeur and self-importance, they readily pass them onto the next generation by teaching at the country's premier institutions like NUST.

I never noticed your signature before but now that I have, I don't think I can ever see you as a rational Pakistani.

You are free to ignore it if you want.

Don't worry I am going mail my answer (written below) to him as well. I can teach my maid to be better at Geo-politics than the sorry bunch who study under him.
Oh noo we are doomed :crying::crying::crying::crying:
oh well :playball:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles