WC2011 Predictions

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Match 1India Vs Bangladesh 19th Feb

I predict India wins. I am predicting even the scores - 350/4 vs Bdesh 160 all out

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Bangladesh is raring to go.

But India is in top form even though Dhoni feels that fatigue has set in only to retract.

My prediction is that I am not prone too much toward gambles!

The bookies would be the best bet to know who will win or where a no ball will be bowled.

I will go by who the Pakistani cricketers are betting on! :)

Pintu

Well actually Bangladesh has nothing to lose, I thought they will play aggressively, but seems I am wrong in the assesment. BTW I will be Happy to be wrong in the end :)

Regards

Pintu

There's nothing in the pitch , but occasionally ball may keep low. I can see 300-330+.

Regards

sandeepdg

I doubt India will spare any effort to win this match, considering what happened last time with Bangladesh in 2007.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I will go by who the Pakistani cricketers are betting on! :)
Lol. That was a good one.

I think this match is a done deal for india with 371 to chase for Bangladesh. I think india has batted exceptionally well on this pitch. The avg first innings score on this ground is only 212. India has gone way way beyond that. Expect a heavy win. Bangladesh will not find it easy to bat.

Oracle

Worthless pitch. India would have gone beyond 400, if the pitch had a little to offer to pacers. Bangladesh batting second - 220 to 250/all out.

Pintu

They are 169-2 ( 30th Over), 5.67 per over , that means 370-169=201 runs in 20 over , 201/20 = 10.05 Per Over . Quiet Impossible I think.

Regards

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Okay I was right on 2 counts and wrong on 1. Not bad not bad at all. If we had not played Sreeidiotsanth I would've probably been right on all 3 counts...

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Okay I was right on 2 counts and wrong on 1. Not bad not bad at all. If we had not played Sreeidiotsanth I would've probably been right on all 3 counts...
Pure case of fixing. You knew everything but lost out on one because of one person who tried hard but just could not do it well enough for you.....

Pintu

As of India beat Bangladesh, and other two match gone in expected line, I don't see any prospect for minnows , except Bangladesh can give WI a Hard Fight if they can , my take as ABP says :

for Super Eight: India, South Africa, England, Bangladesh/ West Indies from Gr. A Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Australia, New Zealand - Gr. B

Regards .

Sabir

DFI TEAM
Put money in favour of BD against big teams specially when the matches are played in BD. Their slow tracks have a lot of trouble in reserve for teams out side of sub-continent. ( Nice to see Sehwag and Kohli adjusted themselves with the pace and played very sensible cricket).

This time I am expecting the South Africans- the giant to be killed by BD......

Last edited:

Zaki

Country flag
well all top 8 teams can win the world cup

I am expecting South Africa or India to take the pride this time
But no other teams can ever be undermined. All test nations (with exception of Bangladesh) are capable of bouncing back and taking the glory of winning the world cup

Even West Indies can be very hard at given time.... so - loved the format of the game that every strong team will have enough opportunity to come on and one or two shockers may not effect much

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
No one is the favorite to win. All major teams have equal chance. All boils down to how well you play each game and how key moments of the game are played and won. A masterstroke by the captain by means of bowling or batting change, outstanding catch/run out in key matches when big teams play each other. Holding your nerves is going to be crucial. Any harakiri will be fatal. Well that is how cricket is any ways, but then you have to keep winning to make sure you go all the way in the knock out stage of the tournament.

Zaki

Country flag
No one is the favorite to win. All major teams have equal chance. All boils down to how well you play each game and how key moments of the game are played and won. A masterstroke by the captain by means of bowling or batting change, outstanding catch/run out in key matches when big teams play each other. Holding your nerves is going to be crucial. Any harakiri will be fatal. Well that is how cricket is any ways, but then you have to keep winning to make sure you go all the way in the knock out stage of the tournament.
where is the thanks button gone?

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
where is the thanks button gone?
Zaki you can use the * marked button in bottom left corner of any post to say thanks and add reputation to the poster. However it won't be publically visible.
I too miss the Thanks button.

Regards,
Virendra

Oracle

South Africa bowling coach names dog after Sachin

NEW DELHI: South Africa bowling coach Vincent Barnes admitted on Tuesday he's missing Sachin - his dog Sachin that is, not the Indian batting superstar in whose honour he's named.

"Sachin is not here, I am missing him already," Barnes told a newspaper.

"Obviously I couldn't bring him along, what with all the travelling but there are enough people back home to take care of him."

Barnes named his dog after Sachin Tendulkar, his favourite batsman.

"He's a superman and is capable of anything."

Read more: South Africa bowling coach names dog after Sachin - The Times of India http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-Sachin/articleshow/7549688.cms#ixzz1EnHunU59

Source

Oracle

Sreesanth has talent, needs to be controlled better: Akram

NEW DELHI: There is nothing wrong with being emotional and aggressive while playing but if S Sreesanth could control himself better, he can prove to be an asset for the Indian cricket team, Pakistani great Wasim Akram on Wednesday.

Akram said Sreesanth has the ability to pick wickets with the new ball and just need to manage himself in a better way.

"Absence of Ashish Nehra in the opening match against Bangladesh gave the Kerala Express a "back-door" entry into the playing XI, but I have always maintained Sreesanth is definitely a top choice for me.

"From a cricketing point of view, Sreesanth is a wicket-taking bowler. I will like to see him running in the way he is doing right now and try to bowl the right line. Once in a while, on flat tracks, he might get hammered but he might still give you two quick breakthroughs with the new ball," Akram said.

Akram, who retired after playing 104 Tests and 356 ODIs, said that one cannot fault Sreesanth for his on-field antics as he is a young and emotional guy.

"You can't fault Sreesanth for trying too hard. He is emotional and obviously wants to seal a berth in the team. He is an aggressive and a positive bowler and that is very important.

"It's just that he has to control himself better. He can't be bowling fast every ball and can't be taking a wicket with every delivery," Akram said.

Commenting on Sreesanth's performance in the World Cup opener against co-hosts Bangladesh, Akram said he was unlucky with a couple of inside edges missing the stumps.

"Against Bangladesh, where he went wicketless, Sreesanth was unlucky as few deliveries missed the stumps. His first two overs went for quite a few runs and so his confidence also went down. But he is wicket-taking bowler. Obviously his no balls need to be controlled but also he is swinging the ball which is very important according to me."

Akram also praised pacer Munaf Patel for his performance against Bangladesh.

"He has definitely improved in the last two years and he admitted after the match that he was taking extra care of his physical fitness. Munaf's body language and his fielding have improved and he is a very intelligent and clever bowler as far as the variation of pace is concerned," he said.

Young sensation and Indian batsman Virat Kohli also came in for rich praise from Akram.

"The more I am seeing Kohli making runs, the more I am getting impressed. He is certainly a very talented and exciting player. I hope Kohli understands he should be looking to be a great Test player and not a great T20 hero.

"He's got the ability to be a classy batsman. And a 100 in his first World Cup game - it is a dream-come-true for a youngster like him. I hope Virat has cemented the fourth spot in the strong Indian team," he said.

Source

Oracle

Swann wants England to silence Indian crowd

NAGPUR: Graeme Swann wants to silence the passionate home crowd when England face World Cup co-hosts India in Bangalore on Sunday.

The Ashes-winning off-spinner returned to international action for the first time since the birth of his son with an impressive two for 35 during England's tournament-opening six-wicket win over the Netherlands on Tuesday.

But the 31-year-old's bowling was one of the few highlights in a lacklustre display in the field littered with dropped catches and wayward fast bowling on a good batting pitch.

India launched their campaign with an 87-run victory away to fellow co-hosts Bangladesh in Dhaka and are strongly fancied to add a second title to their 1983 World Cup trophy in front of their adoring fans.

"The fact it's against India in India is going to make it a huge game," said Swann after England saw off the Dutch with eight balls to spare.

"We had a very poor time of things in the one-day series here a couple of years ago, so that's certainly something we want to turn around because there is nothing better than silencing an Indian crowd.

"You don't want them to be screaming all day because its ear-shattering. Come Bangalore it will be a huge game and one we will need to raise our standards for, particularly in the field because, let's face it, we were like a bunch of schoolboys (against the Netherlands)."

The worst moment was when Dutch all-rounder Ryan ten Doeschate, who went on to make a century, skied Swann on 47 only for James Anderson at long-on and Kevin Pietersen at long-off to leave the chance to each other as the ball fell safely between them.

"They both got the glare," Swann said. "When it goes 80 yards in the air and two of your best fielders stand and watch it land between them, it's never great as a bowler but I can't really complain because I dropped that high swirler near the end. Everything evens itself out."

Swann was England's lone spinner in a match where the frontline quicks, especially Anderson, whose 10 wicketless overs cost 72 runs, proved expensive.

England do have another slow bowler in left-armer Michael Yardy who, like Swann, performed well in the team that won the World Twenty20 in the Caribbean last year.

Swann though warned it was a mistake to think Indian pitches offered excessive help to spinners.

"I think it is hit or miss in India with spin. People always say that spin plays a massive part and wickets turn square over here. They don't and there was a little bit of spin (against the Netherlands) but it wasn't huge."

Swann, who had been struggling with a knee injury, was pleased by the way he bowled upon returning to international cricket

"I'm delighted because I've let the team down a couple of times before after a bit of a break and promised I wouldn't do it this time, so I'm glad I lived up to my word."

Swann joined up late with the squad following the birth of his son, Wilfred, and he admitted: "Within two days of the little fellow coming into the world I'm saying a teary goodbye. That's our lot as international cricketers.

"On the plus side, I get to come here to play in a World Cup so in 18 years' time when he is giving me grief for not being there for the first six weeks I'll be able to say but I had to go and beat Holland."

Source

Zaki

Country flag
Zaki you can use the * marked button in bottom left corner of any post to say thanks and add reputation to the poster. However it won't be publically visible.
I too miss the Thanks button.

Regards,
Virendra
thats sad :(

Thanks button encourages the members to improve the quality of their posts. Its a must have thing in 21st century. It should be back in this forum

Anyway lets not derail the thread

@topic

Well looking at today's performance of Pakistan one can easily way they would hopefully qualify for quarter finals very easily and hopefully advance to the next semi finals and final if got lucky.
Pakistan is the most unpredictable team in the world and on his day it can beat any team of the world so - yes there chances have grown up after looking at the performance of Umar Akmal who played well after long time

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles