Walt Disney bans import from Pakistan

Blackwater

FAISALABAD: US licensor Walt Disney has dropped Pakistan from its list of 'Permitted Sourcing Countries' from April 1, sources in the textile industry confirmed on Wednesday.

The US entertainment giant banned any import from Pakistan as the country failed to satisfy the trading partner company of its intentions to improve what it considered "poor governance standards".

"There is no ambiguity in the position taken by Disney. No shipment is permissible to any certified agent or vendor dealing in the brand of Walt Disney merchandise after April 30," Azhar Majeed Sheikh, the chairman of Arzoo Textile Mills, told Dawn.

"Anyone (importer or exporter) found violating the ban will be liable to heavy penalties besides being blacklisted," he said.

The US company's decision has stripped Pakistan of $200-million exports of textile products.

The firm issued stiffer warning to Bangladesh when it decided to put Pakistan on its watch list because of repeated incidents of factory fires in textile garment units.

However, Bangladesh government managed to get a waiver by getting a placement in ILO/IFC 'Better Work Programme' that allows close monitoring of the country for social audit.

"It is an irony that Bangladesh managed to evade the ban and continues to trade with Disney, but the inefficient and ineffective doyens of commercial relations occupying cushy seats at the ministry and the Trade and Development Authority of Pakistan failed the business community," a frustrated textile exporter commented.

"The people responsible for the fiasco should be taken to task if the government wishes to fare better on the governance scale," another businessman said.

Walt Disney bans import from Pakistan - DAWN.COM

Neo

Safety comes first, its a normal practice to black list companies or countries who donot apply required iso standard.
Fish exports to EU from Pakistan were banned due impropper packing and poor storage facilities untill late last year.
I'm sure we'll take actions to implement required standards to reaccess the lucrative Disney garments market.
Pakistani firms have been designing and producing garments and costumes for Disney productions for years now.

Sea Eagle

Safety comes first, its a normal practice to black list companies or countries who donot apply required iso standard.
Fish exports to EU from Pakistan were banned due impropper packing and poor storage facilities untill late last year.
I'm sure we'll take actions to implement required standards to reaccess the lucrative Disney garments market.
Pakistani firms have been designing and producing garments and costumes for Disney productions for years now.
:dude:
You guys were trying to fix bombs in them and the NIA came to know about this so they banned you.

:dude: Or either You were giving them Chinese maal and they came to know about it.

Second one seems more legitimate :hmm:

Neo

:dude:
You guys were trying to fix bombs in them and the NIA came to know about this so they banned you.

:dude: Or either You were giving them Chinese maal and they came to know about it.

Second one seems more legitimate :hmm:
Ohh really?

I guess EU has found bombs in your mangoes as well as EU has recently placed a ban on mango imports from India.
No such restrictions apply for other South Asian countries.

Or was it "fake" maal from China?

Blackwater

Ohh really?

I guess EU has found bombs in your mangoes as well as EU has recently placed a ban on mango imports from India.

ur juicy juicy mangoes also got banned again in US. is that true???

Neo

ur juicy juicy mangoes also got banned again in US. is that true???
US never opened up her market for Pak mangoes.
Yes she requires special hot water and x-ray treatment against fruit flies.
Currently only a few exportes in Pakustan have such facility and they have a huge backlog from Australia and South Africa so there is no capacity for USA.

ladder

Country flag
Ohh really?

Oh really?

EU banned Indian mangoes for the same reason that USA banned Pakistan's, fruit fly contamination.

Start working towards irradiation otherwise Pakistani mangoes are inline for ban too.

Funny guy you are, while you are busy showing us the mirror, your traders are shivering.

You are suffering from 'Pakistan effect' right?

Enforcing standards: Mango exporters see EU ban on India as a lesson – The Express Tribune

http://www.thenews.com.pk/Todays-News-3-242789-Group-to-prevent-ban-on-mango-export

And from last year,

UK's quarantine department destroying all shipments of Pakistani mangoes
http://tribune.com.pk/story/571524/...estroying-all-shipments-of-pakistani-mangoes/

Last edited:

Neo

Afaik there is no ban for Pakistani mangoes in EU, not for the past 8-10 year or so.

Neo

I ate lots of Pakistani mangoes last year amd looking forward to buy them as early as June :)

Blackwater

I ate lots of Pakistani mangoes last year amd looking forward to buy them as early as June :)
I only eat Pakistani mangoes. But last time store owner a Pakistani said Dutch govt is not happy with pak mangoes and some dispute going on import.

Reactions: Neo

Neo

EU has granted Pakistan GSP Plus status effective from Jan this year. The agreement covers 90 export items including fruit and vegetables.
Pakistani mangoes are x-rayed in Pakistan before being exported to EU so I an not too worried.

Pakistan mango exports is 19.000 tons per year, 90% goes to EU, ME, Japan, China, BD and East Africa.
For last two years Turkish, Moroccan, Egyptian and Surinam retailers have started importing Pakistani mangoes directly and they are much cheaper than Pakistani shops.

Many Indians buy Pakistani mangoes and mithai from desi shops here in Amsterdam.

Neo

Try to visit annual mango exhibition, it was held in Hilton or A4 at Schiphol last year.
You can taste different varieties there. Langra and Almas are my personal favorite.

Glint

Country flag
Or US is just being kinda d*ck here? I mean they have history of banning stuff for stupid reasons..

They banned this here cause apparently kids were choking on it.

Blackwater

EU has granted Pakistan GSP Plus status effective from Jan this year. The agreement covers 90 export items including fruit and vegetables.
Pakistani mangoes are x-rayed in Pakistan before being exported to EU so I an not too worried.

Pakistan mango exports is 19.000 tons per year, 90% goes to EU, ME, Japan, China, BD and East Africa.
For last two years Turkish, Moroccan, Egyptian and Surinam retailers have started importing Pakistani mangoes directly and they are much cheaper than Pakistani shops.

Many Indians buy Pakistani mangoes and mithai from desi shops here in Amsterdam.
Taj food store at petercalanlaan has closed their store, do u know him, he was also from Karachi

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Nope, its all business.

Countless outsourcing from Ondia us niw shifting to Philipines, mainly call centers and IT bizz.
Is me bezti nahi hai?
Agreed that it is all business.

But your point about Indian outsourcing business shifting to Philippines is laughable, and shows that you have absolutely no knowledge of what you are talking about. Ask people like me, who know this industry (at least IT outsourcing industry) inside out.

For every contract that goes to the Philippines, twenty new ones come to India. No country in the world has the kind of labour pool and the kind of experience base that India has. There will always be some contracts that go to countries like Philippines, China, Vietnam, etc. They are a drop in the ocean. India cannot be upstaged as a favoured outsourcing destination for at least 20 years, take it from me.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles