US soldier 'faces death penalty'

pmaitra

US soldier 'faces death penalty'

The US soldier accused of killing 16 Afghan villagers in March could face the death penalty if found guilty of murder, the US Army says.

No US service member has been executed in more than 50 years.

Sgt Bales faces 16 counts of murder and six counts of attempted murder, as well as charges of assault and using drugs and alcohol while deployed.

Seventeen victims were women or children, and most of them were shot in the head.
BBC News
Source: BBC News - Robert Bales: Court martial for US sergeant over Afghan deaths

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
No use in penalising him. It will buy the US no goodwill. The majority of the people in Afghanistan would never know about it.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I think the penalty is not so much for the Afghans but to remind American soldiers that that kind of action is intolerable.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
My Lai Massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The My Lai Massacre (Vietnamese: thảm sát Mỹ Lai [tʰɐ̃ːm ʂɐ̌ːt mǐˀ lɐːj], [mǐˀlɐːj] ( listen); /ˌmiːˈlaɪ/, /ˌmiːˈleɪ/, or /ˌmaɪˈlaɪ/)[1] was the Vietnam War mass murder of between 347 and 504 unarmed civilians in South Vietnam on March 16, 1968, by United States Army soldiers of "Charlie" Company of 1st Battalion, 20th Infantry Regiment, 11th Brigade of the Americal Division. Most of the victims were women, children, infants, and elderly people. Some of the women were gang-raped and their bodies were later found to be mutilated[2] and many women were allegedly raped prior to the killings.[3] While 26 U.S. soldiers were initially charged with criminal offenses for their actions at Mỹ Lai, only Second Lieutenant William Calley, a platoon leader in Charlie Company, was convicted. Found guilty of killing 22 villagers, he was originally given a life sentence, but only served three and a half years under house arrest.

The massacre took place in the hamlets of My Lai and My Khe of Son My village.[4][5] In modern Vietnam, the event is called the Son My Massacre (thảm sát Sơn Mỹ).[6] The U.S. military codeword for the "Viet Cong [sic] stronghold" was "Pinkville".[7]

The incident prompted global outrage when it became public knowledge in 1969. The massacre also increased domestic opposition to the U.S. involvement in the Vietnam War. Three U.S. servicemen who had tried to halt the massacre and protect the wounded were initially denounced by several U.S. Congressmen as traitors. They received hate mail and death threats and found mutilated animals on their doorsteps. The three were later widely praised and decorated by the Army for their heroic actions.[8]

Global Defence

New threads

Articles