US should do more to boost India's defence capabilities: Singh

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
US should do more to boost India’s defence capabilities: Singh | idrw.org

India and the US can work out joint ventures to upgrade defence capabilities if New Delhi is perceived as "a friend and a focal point" in Asia, former Indian Army chief Gen (retd) VK Singh has said.

There is great scope for cooperation in defence technology between the two sides and things will move at a faster pace if Indian military officials are given a greater role in talks with the US, Singh told a news agency in an interview.

"There is a great (scope for) cooperation that can be worked out as a joint venture between the two to upgrade capabilities if the US thinks that India is a friend and a focal point for it in Asia," he said.

"If you look at the policies, it is looked at from that point of view some time back. But that now has to be converted into concrete action."

Noting that the US is a hub of technology, Singh said there is so much that can be shared in the armament, aviation and naval sectors that it can ensure great economic benefit to the US and technological benefit to India.

"I think there is some reservation in the US on sharing this technology with India. I think it is to mutual advantage of both countries," he said.

India is looking at technology, and not hardware. "It has got great capabilities, especially the private sector in India, to manufacture anything, provided the technology is available," he said.

Singh claimed the Indian system dominated by bureaucrats is preventing "real military-to-military" talks between India and the US and, as a result, the real potential of defence ties between the world's two largest democracies is not being realised.

Singh, the only Indian general to be inducted into the International Fellow Hall of Fame at the prestigious US Army War College, pushed for strong defence ties between the two sides when he headed the Indian Army during March 2010-February 2012.

"One of the problems the US finds is that there are a lot of areas which require military-to-military talks, but the Indian system only permits a babu (bureaucrat) to talk to the US military," said the former Army chief, currently on a visit to the US with anti-corruption crusader Anna Hazare.

As a result, the defence relationship is not progressing at the pace it should, he said. "They do not understand each other. It becomes a dialogue of the deaf. That has to be sorted out," Singh said.

The Indian system also does not facilitate the building of relations between military officials of the two countries, he claimed.

Singh complained that the Indian bureaucratic system, dominated by IAS officials, is preventing the military leadership from giving its inputs on crucial national security issues.

"If you have attention and focus, automatically budget would come and automatically rest of the things would improve. There has to be greater focus from the point of view of the politico-administrative nexus that prevails in keeping the armed forces away from decision-making," he said.

"National security is not just to be decided by one, two or three people. It must have all the inputs and it must have inputs from the security forces of India."

Things cannot be seen only through "political or administrative lenses", he said.

"We (Indian Army) are not part of the decision-making apparatus. There are no inputs (from the Army)"¦The Kargil committee's recommendations are yet to be implemented."

Strongly arguing the case for creating a permanent post of Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff on the lines of the system in the US, Singh said India requires such a set-up.

"One-point contact is not there. There is a great amount of effort that is made to instigate one service against another service, so that they can keep fighting amongst each other," he claimed.

"That approach is not there which contributes towards building a force structure that would be better," the former Army chief said.

DivineHeretic

Country flag
Few Points I'd like to make out...

1>US should do more to boost India's defence capabilities: Singh

Nowhere in the main body of the text is VK Singh found saying that. True he aspires better cooperation between the two nations, especially the JVs, but nowhere does he put the Onus on developing the Indian capability on US. Nowwhere does he mention that US has a responsibility to arm India as the title applies. As such, it appears to be an extravagant extrapolation of his words.

2>Singh claimed the Indian system dominated by bureaucrats is preventing "real military-to-military" talks between India and the US and, as a result, the real potential of defence ties between the world's two largest democracies is not being realised.

Can't get truer than that. But the problem is not only the bureacratic red tape. There is a certain apprehension amongst the political and bureaucratic class to allowing more direct military-to-military contact between various militaries. A need is felt to ensure their presence, their dominance over the Indian Army is made visible to both the IA and to the foreign military.

Why this need is felt? Well, MAybe @Ray Sir can best explain this to us....

3>We (Indian Army) are not part of the decision-making apparatus. There are no inputs (from the Army)"¦The Kargil committee's recommendations are yet to be implemented."

This is not just the fault of the politicians and the Bureaucrats. The Tri services are as much at fault as the others. You Sir, were too busy protecting your spheres of influence ( at the cost of national security).

None of the three services are united in their demand for a single JCOS, who would provide a unified voice ( read opinion) to the policy makers. They are more busy infighting to keep capabilities in their hands, just like the bureacrats I might add.

That gives free rope to the politicans to delay the need to create such a post, and thus secure their position in the decision making process.

Last edited by a moderator:
Country flag
India could have picked an American plane in the MRCA if they really felt this.
Canceled PAKFA and went with f35 offer. PAKFA will be developed with indian
Money and russians will still export it. F35 will be very limited to a few select
Countries.

Reactions: sob

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
@DivineHeretic

1>US should do more to boost India's defence capabilities: Singh

Nowhere in the main body of the text is VK Singh found saying that.
That idea is a red flag to many on DFI, too. Surprised there has not been an outcry from the usual suspects.

s002wjh

Country flag
for starter, india is not an ally of US, thus limit on type of technology US will be selling. F35 type is out of question. also most india equipment are from russia, so integrate with US tech would be a headche.

Country flag
for starter, india is not an ally of US, thus limit on type of technology US will be selling. F35 type is out of question. also most india equipment are from russia, so integrate with US tech would be a headche.
What is the definition of ally?? India has defense,logistic,nuclear pacts with US.
F35 offer was already made. India is the biggest arms buyer from Israel,france and third
biggest buyer from US so this is a misconception that India buys only Russian equipment.
As China rise India will be more important strategically to US. No matter what chinese
members think there can be only one #1 and I don't think US wants to give up the slot.

drkrn

India could have picked an American plane in the MRCA if they really felt this.
Canceled PAKFA and went with f35 offer. PAKFA will be developed with indian
Money and russians will still export it. F35 will be very limited to a few select
Countries.
"we need te4chnology,not hardware"-v.k singh

can us provide us technology

we share the profits of export

drkrn

@DivineHeretic

That idea is a red flag to many on DFI, too. Surprised there has not been an outcry from the usual suspects.
boosting by providing technology,not by hardware

if us agrees to provide tot then problems come down

Country flag
"we need te4chnology,not hardware"-v.k singh

can us provide us technology

we share the profits of export
Does india really need the technology? Look at p8i as an example
US hardware and the software was indian, look at smerch deal with
Russia trucks Russian 32 different rocket options made in india.
The issue is not technology but lack of political will by India.

s002wjh

Country flag
What is the definition of ally?? India has defense,logistic,nuclear pacts with US.
F35 offer was already made. India is the biggest arms buyer from Israel,france and third
biggest buyer from US so this is a misconception that India buys only Russian equipment.
As China rise India will be more important strategically to US. No matter what chinese
members think there can be only one #1 and I don't think US wants to give up the slot.
defence treaty, US bases, join trainning, something on the level of US/uk/aussie. like i said US won't sell advance weaponry to india like we sell stuff to aussie/uk etc.

Country flag
defence treaty, US bases, join trainning, something on the level of US/uk/aussie. like i said US won't sell advance weaponry to india like we sell stuff to aussie/uk etc.
P8i, c-17,harpoon missiles,Phalcon AWACS,MIRV tech, heavy water deal, apache helicopter,nuclear reactors
These things are not strategic you just redefined strategic

ice berg

P8i, c-17,harpoon missiles,Phalcon AWACS,MIRV tech, heavy water deal, apache helicopter,nuclear reactors
These things are not strategic you just redefined strategic
Did any of them come with ToT? What is given can be taken just as easily. Which is why the general said:

"I think there is some reservation in the US on sharing this technology with India. I think it is to mutual advantage of both countries," he said.

Country flag
Did any of them come with ToT? What is given can be taken just as easily. Which is why the general said:

Nuclear reactors deal delay has been reprocessing tech TOT. USA does not give TOT to NATO
Allies so it is unlikely india would get it. His point was usa was unlikely to sell advanced weapons to
India.

ice berg

Nuclear reactors deal delay has been reprocessing tech TOT. USA does not give TOT to NATO
Allies so it is unlikely india would get it. But india has it's reverse engineers too.
Civilian nuclear deals. Even China can get that.

Country flag
Why the china comparison? Indian nuclear deal has many military reactors also part of the deal.

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
India should lease Virginia class Nuclear attack submarines from the US. The Russians will be in for a surprise. :pft:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles