US seeks global help for anti-piracy task force

Discussion in 'International Politics' started by Payeng, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Payeng

Payeng Daku Mongol Singh

Times of India

3. EnlightenedMonk

EnlightenedMonk Member of The Month JULY 2009 Senior Member

Oh yes... upto now he didn't seem to be caring about the problem because he wasn't affected... suddenly a couple of American ships get attacked and a captain gets taken hostage and he realises about the scourge of piracy !!!

Didn't something of the same sort happen with respect to terrorism... he didn't care when others were getting screwed (sometimes due to his own actions) and suddenly a few bombs went off and 11/09 happened and he realises that its an "important problem"...

4. Pintu

Pintu New Member

You are right monk, when there were attack of different merchant ships of other countries they need not feel urgency, and did not put up any effective step though they were very capable for doing that. However , it is good that they are awakened up from their sleep.

5. kuku

kuku Respected Member

I think with respect to the region it was a positive move, the regional powers get to play a role in this and cooperate with each other. In the larger scheme of events a large piracy crisis will help USA set up the region to suite its goals.

6. Pintu

Pintu New Member

A piracy is piracy , I think may the area of influence be larger, but there should not be any difference in act of piracy. because all the pirates are inhuman, USA should have been involved to this from the very beginning.However time not ran out, I think a joint task force is the first priority, between the nations whose ships ferrying through this dangerous sea lane.

7. kuku

kuku Respected Member

There is smaller US led Combined Task Force-151 it includes a LHD (wasp class) with plenty of space to house special forces, helicopters, harriers.

USN protects the interests of USA, and the impact on USA from piracy in the region is limited, both economically and strategically.

They have this vision of international cooperation reading about this vision the impression i got was that it centers around the absolute blue water dominance that USN has achieved, events like piracy in this region provide them with a opportunity to act as the coordinators between the naval forces of the nations effected by this minor trade disruption (hence helping to carry their vision forward).

Had they been involved in this thing from the start many nations would have not even made the effort they have till now.

Till now trade has not been disrupted to a point where investing huge sums of money in providing the required capability is essential for most nations, ships that are deployed to that region have other primary tasks to perform, for e. g. when Mumbai attacks happened the INS Tabar had to leave that region and its anti piracy role, it could have had a much important role to play near home in a conflict.

The Ocean region is huge and fishing is very active off Somalian coast.

8. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

The US with it's carrier force out there needs international assistance? What a joke!

9. SATISH

SATISH DFI Technocrat Stars and Ambassadors

Yusuf,
    I think a CBG is an overkill for those pirates. Just a few patrol boats with a GAU 8 canon or a CIWS is far more effective.

10. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

I know a carrier is an over kill for the pirates, but a carrier has it's complement of frigates and destroyers which can be pressed into service. Not for once did I mean to say send carriers after those thugs

11. Payeng

Payeng Daku Mongol Singh