US-made Apache choppers will be for the IAF: N A K Browne

Neil

Country flag
2 Apache helicopters, which are in process of being acquired from the US, will be for the IAF, Air Force chief N A K Browne said today.

"The Apaches are going to be with us only as it is an ongoing acquisition process," Air Chief Marshal Browne told PTI here on the sidelines of a 1971 Indo-Pak war anniversary function.

The Defence Ministry had recently allowed the Army to have combat choppers and said that all future acquisitions will be for it.

"The government has decided to let the Army to have its own heavy duty attack helicopters.

"The decision to vest the future inductions of attack helicopters with the Army has been taken keeping in view the operational requirements in the field," Defence Minister A K Antony had told Parliament.

He had also said that the IAF was procuring 22 AH-64D Block-III Apache helicopters from Boeing Company of USA.

Browne said the Apaches are not just for taking out enemy tanks or for air-to-ground operations but they can be used for multiple tasks such as taking out enemy radar stations and for air-to-air missions.

The Army had said recently that it was planning to send a proposal to the Defence Ministry for seeking transfer of attack helicopters from the Air Force at the earliest.

Sources said the Army had also suggested that the proposal would also include transfer of the Apache helicopters which are being procured.

The IAF and the Army in the recent past have been involved in a battle of sorts for controlling the attack helicopter fleet and the Defence Ministry has decided in

favour of the Army.

The Army already has an aviation wing but the Defence Minister has approved a long-pending demand of the 1.3 million-strong force for attack helicopters, overruling stiff opposition from the Air Force.

The Army had been demanding attack helicopters, saying these are mainly used for operations by it.

The IAF had been strongly resisting it, with Browne saying the country cannot afford to have "small air forces".

The IAF is in final stages of completing the acquisition process of 22 Apache choppers from the US after the American machine edged out the Russian Mi-28 Havoc in the tender.

US-made Apache choppers will be for the IAF: N A K Browne | idrw.org

:facepalm:

Blackwater

mubarka, huraah,buraah, balle balle

muh mitha karo((have some sweets for celebration)

Question is ??what pakistan will beg for??? to counter Apache???

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Browne said the Apaches are not just for taking out enemy tanks or for air-to-ground operations but they can be used for multiple tasks such as taking out enemy radar stations and for air-to-air missions.
Really? :wat:

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
I would rather like to see them with IA expecting they will use it at borders where they are busy and for counter terrorism in J&k. I know it is an over kill but this beast needs to be a work horse than hanger queen.

Mangal

Country flag
Boeing Could Win Another Indian Helicopter Contract :
Boeing Could Win Another Indian Helicopter Contract | Defense News | defensenews.com

After winning a $1.3 billion Indian Air Force contract for 22 AH-64D Apache attack helicopters last month — and getting selected as the preferred vendor for India's $1.4 billion heavylift helicopter competition with its Chinook CH-47F — Boeing could get another contract, this time for more Apaches to be used by the Army, Indian Ministry of Defence sources said.

Its being reported by a foreign news agency so i understand it has some sort of truth attached to it. If IA is indeed going for additional Apaches, then they should go for Apache block E which Israeli Air force is evaluating.

datguy79

one thing i don't get about weapon acquisitions: are the missiles part of the deal or are they purchased continuously as needed?

Blackwater

nobody answer my Q.

To whom will pakistani beg to donate what machine to counter Apache??

datguy79

China. Their WZ series choppers look quite deadly. But don't think they will be comparable to AH-64s
I am guessing the Apaches are for the Chinese border since Indian government must have taken into account actual combat experience of the machine in AFG i.e. mountainous area

vishwaprasad

Country flag
I am guessing the Apaches are for the Chinese border since Indian government must have taken into account actual combat experience of the machine in AFG i.e. mountainous area
yes me also think the same. AH-64s are actually vulnerable to ground fire in the plain areas of Rajasthan,punjab. on Chinese borders area is montainous AH-64 will be tricky...

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
LCH is probably lighter but i dont see the basic idea behind going for a heavier chopper when LCH could be made to do all of that.

vishwaprasad

Country flag
LCH is probably lighter but i dont see the basic idea behind going for a heavier chopper when LCH could be made to do all of that.
I think we are especially going because of the weapon package AH64s comes with. Hell fire longbows will make the life of enemy tanks miserable.

Sam2012

Tihar Jail
Banned
Why its alwasy IAF vs IA , can't they work out their differences . During Kargil aswell both were on logger heads & the War extended due to that 500+ indian soldiers has to loose their life for which country can never pay back to their brave families

Come on please don't bring politics even in defence :)

prestigiousindian

Can someone please tell me can we have a fire control radar for our LCH like Apache. It wud be gr8 if we have 1 such.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles