US 7th fleet base in Bangladesh?

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
This base will hurt us down the line. If India continues to grow stronger then invariably usa will want to contain us (they already want to but there focus is on china now) and then you all will realize the ramifications of this base.

This is aimed at India and not china.

trackwhack

This base will hurt us down the line. If India continues to grow stronger then invariably usa will want to contain us (they already want to but there focus is on china now) and then you all will realize the ramifications of this base.

This is aimed at India and not china.
Absolutely, this is aimed at India. The US has enough bases all around China, from Japan to SK and Guam, Philippines. They have absolutely surrounded China. There is no need for another base.

Country flag
This base will hurt us down the line. If India continues to grow stronger then invaribly usa will want to contain us (they already want to but there focus is on china now) and then you all will realize the ramifications of this base.
This base is not confirmed to happen the big base that is going to be built is
in Singapore. USA already has a ready and willing Pakistan when they want to
contain us. This was always known to Indian govt but nothing ever done about it.
Indian govt has contained India more than any outside power ever has.

Last edited:

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
This base is not confirmed to happen the big base that is going to be built is
in Singapore. USA already has a ready and willing Pakistan when they want to
contain us. This was always known to Indian govt but nothing ever done about it.
base in pakistan and bangladesh are two different things.

paki area will be hostile whether a paki ship is anchored or a yank ship. GoI should not tolerate any bases of foreign countries near our border.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Absolutely, this is aimed at India. The US has enough bases all around China, from Japan to SK and Guam, Philippines. They have absolutely surrounded China. There is no need for another base.
With bases in pakistan (arabian sea), bangladesh (bay of bengal) and diego garcia (Indian ocean) we too will be surrounded from all sides.

and some Indians think it is a good thing :facepalm:

trackwhack

paki area will be hostile whether a paki ship is anchored or a yank ship. GoI should not tolerate any bases of foreign countries near our border.
the solution is simple. just turn off the taps at both ends.

Country flag

India govt has not been aggressive in taking our own territory back
POK,Aksai Chin,Tibet etc..Power only respects power and Indian
govt has never made an effort to display any.

offtopic-when India did the nuclear test why wasn't one MEGATONNAGE
weapon tested?

Country flag
With bases in pakistan (arabian sea), bangladesh (bay of bengal) and diego garcia (Indian ocean) we too will be surrounded from all sides.

and some Indians think it is a good thing :facepalm:
I have not made a statement if it is good or bad because it is
irrelevant when the Govt has accepted this. This is a result
of Indian Govt's SOFT POWER policy.

trackwhack

I hope this comes up in parliament. Lets see what the opposition has to say. I hope the media sensationalizes this to no end. Thats the only hope that GOI will do something.

I agree with LF that the US cannot do this without GOI saying yes. Else it is a simple question of threatening Bangladesh - water, deportation, trade. We can even prepare a naval embargo preventing the US from ever docking in Chittagiong, let alone build a base there.

I've had it with this spineless shitty government. Bat shit crazy or not, I am voting BJP and even campaigning for them in 2014.

Country flag
I hope this comes up in parliament. Lets see what the opposition has to say. I hope the media sensationalizes this to no end. Thats the only hope that GOI will do something.

I agree with LF that the US cannot do this without GOI saying yes. Else it is a simple question of threatening Bangladesh - water, deportation, trade. We can even prepare a naval embargo preventing the US from ever docking in Chittagiong, let alone build a base there.

I've had it with this spineless shitty government. Bat shit crazy or not, I am voting BJP and even campaigning for them in 2014.
One positive if this is true it will prevent Chinese string of pearls.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Where is the left ? they are usually up in arms when it comes to the yanks having anything to do with India.

one would think they would use this opportunity to score some brownie points :tsk:

Country flag
I will give you another clue as to why Indian Govt accepted:

Why hasn't Indian joined SCO even after many requests?

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
I think its high time Chaos must be unleashed in BD.Dead banglas are good banglas.
It is disappointing to read this kind of hatred post from a member with over 3,500 posts under his belt. You can do lot better than that, don't we have excessive amount of violence around the world that you want to add to it.

Country flag
US plans naval base in Ctg: Indian TV | Bangladesh | bdnews24.com

US plans naval base in Ctg: Indian TV

Dhaka, Jun 1 (bdnews24.com)—The Indian media says the United States is desperate to build a naval presence in Bangladesh as a strategy to counter growing Chinese influence in the region.

The Times Now ran an investigative report titled "U.S. eyes Bangladesh" on May 31 saying the Americans want to use Chittagong port to park a large part of its Seventh Fleet. The report was followed a debate organised by the TV channel styled "America eyes Bay of Bengal ".

It suggested the US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton recent visit to Bangladesh "was much more than a friendly gesture' and she discussed military co-operation with Bangladeshi officials last month.

"America"¦ wants to park its seventh fleet in the country - for its strategic interests. Worried by increasing presence of Chinese naval bases in the South China Sea - America now eyes a counter strategy - as it wants an overall presence in Asia - right from Japan to its Diego Garcia base in the Indian Ocean," said the report by the 24-hour English news channel.

Times Now's Editor-in-Chief Arnab Goswami moderated the debate titled "America Eyes Bay of Bengal" based on its own investigation.

The discussants were The Heritage Foundation's Senior Research Fellow Lisa Curtis, Former Indian High Commissioner to Bangladesh Veena Sikri, Member, National Executive Committee, BJP Sheshadri Chari, Strategic Affairs Analyst Mahroof Raza, Times Now's Consulting Editor Wasbir Hussain and Centre for Strategic Research & Analysis (CESRAN) Representative Antony Ou China.

The report said the Americans were increasingly worried over the string of pearls of Chinese bases across the South China Sea and their naval might spreading all across Asia - putting America behind.
Spokesperson for the United States Department of State Victoria Nuland was quoted by the Times of India as saying, during the Bangladesh visit of Hillary Clinton no talks took place regarding the issue.

But Priscilla Huff, Washington Correspondent of Times Now, said: "The US State Department is confirming the US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton did discuss a future home for the Seventh Fleet when she was in Bangladesh."
The Seventh Fleet currently has homes in Japan, Guam and Singapore, she added.
"The Bangladeshi Government remaining extremely tightlipped over the recent developments - as they have internally decided to deny it on record - fearing backlash from their own hardliners," said the Times Now report.

But Bangladesh's High Commissioner to India told Time Now that he was "not I aware of any such requests to the best of my knowledge", when he was asked by TV reporter whether the US had asked to allow Chittagong port to be used as their naval base and whether Bangladesh will allow it.

"Bangladesh is not willing to comment on record even offering explanation to deny the developments. This Clinton visit is a more strategic one than just a friendly one- the Indian establishment caught unawares--as this base could cast a shadow on India's own strategic interests," the report concluded.
Lisa Curtis in the debate said she did not see any reason for US to go for any deal in Asia without consulting with India beforehand.

The debate claimed Bangladesh's Ministry of Home Affairs held secret meeting with the US representatives on issues like containing militancy, extremism, terrorism and even guarding the border with India.

Consulting editor of the television Wasbir Hussain said he had information from Bangladesh that the talks between Bangladesh and US were going on since 2008. US proposed to survey Bangladesh's airfield and also wanted to have its marine fleet reach till inland river port Narayanganj.

He claimed to have talked with Bangladeshi commandos in the military and members of parliament.

The discussants questioned whether the Awami League government would risk such a decision with the next national election so close to come.

Some of them claimed the discussion was being held unofficially under the pretexts of different occasions.

Folk hero

Many members here are pro US.:tsk:

Let me put it this way India is like a lone lion cub in a forest surrounded hyaenas.

Anyone likes it or not India will grow big and strong and our so called allies (US rest of the crap) will turn into bitter enemies.

Being US in our neighborhood undermine political leverage in south Asia, Ok let's imagine tomorrow some thing bad happens India BD are at war and US has a naval base in BD?

And our gandu government allways do some F,ed up things like this.:frusty:

trackwhack

Does the armed forces have a say in such strategic matters or not? The forces have to take the blame if the government fckd up because they were not able to convince the government?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles