Ukrainian BTR-4 for Indian Army

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Ukraine plans to sell India 100 BTR-4

Ukraine plans to sell India 100 BTR-4 with an Indian company parnterstve Shrilakshmi Defence Solutions Ltd. .

Bronetrnapsotery designed for the needs of the armed forces to provide special operations under obedinennyh UN forces. Note, currently Ukraine is seeking to take a leading position in the global market of light armored vehicles. This was said Defense Minister Dmitry Salamatin. The basis for leadership of Ukraine has become the new BTR-4E, which from now enters the Ukrainian troops. It is designed "Kharkiv Machine Building Design Bureau of the AA Morozov. "

The machine is equipped with a 30-mm automatic cannon ZTM-1 of Kamenetz-Podolsk factory precision mechanics, anti-tank missile system Kyiv Design Bureau "Luch" grenade KBA-117 KB "Armament" gun Kiev plant "Mayak". Presented arms merged into a single fire control system, created as Ukrainian developers.

According to the Ministry of Defence, the BTR-4E is available on the world market. So, the car is already purchasing a number of countries in the Middle East. The Ministry of Defence expects that in the future, and other countries will be interested in the BTR-4E. To meet the global demand for such equipment Ministry plans to let bids in different versions and trim levels, allowing it to be a universal platform. According to analysts, the global market for light armored vehicles now stands at more than $ 10 billion. However, none of the Ukrainian company is not included in the twenty largest manufacturers of armored vehicles. Because the implementation of the expansion of Ukrainian design to the world market is very competitive due to the already busy market. Currently, Ukraine has agreed to supply its technology to Ethiopia (delivery in 2011, 200 modernized T-72), Thailand (supply of 50 tanks "Hold "and 121 BTR-3E1), Kazakhstan (supply 100 BTR-4), Kuwait (awaiting a political decision on the purchase of Ukrainian BTR-4), India, China, Algeria, Iraq.
-----------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------

Украина планирует продать Индии 100 бронетранспортеров БТР-4

JBH22

I wonder why we are purchasing this ?
Could be due to the fact that Indian army does peacekeeping missions mostly with Tata vehicles and few BMP-2.

If lakshmi solutions get hands on it could be the foundation for reverse engineering anyway i like that concept.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Why not go for Good MPV offered by Mahindra, In UN its more like counter terror environment..

Lakshmi Solution is simply a line via Ukrainian are dealing with us, they dont produce..

Could be due to the fact that Indian army does peacekeeping missions mostly with Tata vehicles and few BMP-2.

If lakshmi solutions get hands on it could be the foundation for reverse engineering anyway i like that concept.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
BTR-4 is a very nice Wheeled APC/IFV but every single spare have to be imported..

Damian

If India wish to purchase BTR-4, I would wait for BTR-4M which will have improved armor protection.

Damian

Kunal it is hard to compare Stryker with BTR-4. This are two completely different vehicles in their concept.

Stryker is comparably protected in standard variant, while there is also heavier protected Stryker DHV, that have for example mine and IED protection comparable with some MRAPs, while BTR-4 was never designed to survive such threats.

Not to mention that there is already developed even ERA kit for Stryker while for BTR-4 no, however in theory "Knife" or "Duplet" modules can be installed.

Damian

Well, the problem with Stryker was initial requirement for C-130 transportation, but this was leaved behind later for better vehicle protection.

Of course IMHO Stryker in ICV variant should be upgraded with a sort of unmanned turret with automatic cannon for increased firepower.

Of course there are proposals already.

As well as improvement for standard CROWS RWS with FGM-148 mount.

But of course both vehicles are borned with completely different concepts in mind, as well as we should remember that Stryker is still seen as interim design, before the long term solution. US Army is also not se keen to wheeled solutions as most other countries.

methos

Country flag
I doubt that explanation. The BTR-4 is not well suited for peace-keeping missions.

Stryker is comparably protected in standard variant, while there is also heavier protected Stryker DHV, that have for example mine and IED protection comparable with some MRAPs, while BTR-4 was never designed to survive such threats.
But Stryker DVH is still not operational (at least as far as I know). That means currently the Stryker is as well protected as a LAV + MEXAS.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The following reasons :

1. Its amphibious ( Most Important coz of Indian terrain and in Africa )

2. Powerful engine better mobility..

3. Passenger cabin is bigger..

4. 30mm cannon in APC/IFV mode..

General threads like IED and RPG are common, Stryker have better chance of survival but difference is not big between two..

Kunal it is hard to compare Stryker with BTR-4. This are two completely different vehicles in their concept..
Your reasons for that conclusion, SIr? Most of the objections I have read about Stryker involve preference for tracked vehicles, not for other wheeled vehicles.

Damian

But Stryker DVH is still not operational (at least as far as I know).
It is, Strykers DVH's replaced standard Strykers in Afghanistan.

Global Defence

Articles