Two key Army units moved towards Delhi: Indian Express

Status
Not open for further replies.

noob101

Two points here:
  • Do coups happen all over the world? Yes. So why this blind belief that the army, or part of it, cannot plot a coup? The army people are humans recruited from amongst us, the very Indians, who also produce corrupt leaders and officials. Is there no dishonesty in the security forces? Ketchup colonel anyone? Please, those from the Army, do not take this personally, because I am not accusing you; take it personally when I accuse you.
  • Why should the citizens not have the right to bear arms? Let us all have this right. Will people start shooting each other? Sure, they perhaps will. However, those that want to break the law, will anyway get weapons if they want to have them. If at least 50% of each of the families had at least one semi-automatic weapon and a box of 50 bullets at home, no country, whether PRC or Pakistan will dare enter this land, and even the army will think twice before participating in a coup.
yeah I am sure that a few semi automatic weapons will stop the army if its wants to coup, there have been only a very few cases in recent history when the local population were able to defeat government armies and that to with massive external assistance..... I am sorry I think your reasoning is flawed, a million Indians raise up with 9mm Bretta pistols and 50 rounds all the military is going to do is bomb our asses to kingdom come and shell the reaming survivors

Secondly Indian Military wont coup simply because there is no reason for them to coup, the Fat Cats in the military are happy where they are now making money of the government and vast vast majority are very patriotic people .....

Last edited:

pmaitra

yeah I am sure that a few semi automatic weapons will stop the army if its wants to coup, there have been only a very few cases in recent history when the local population were able to defeat government armies and that to with massive external assistance..... I am sorry I think your reasoning is flawed, a million Indians raise up with 9mm Bretta pistols and 50 rounds all the military is going to do is bomb our asses to kingdom come and shell the reaming survivors
2 million army people with all the tanks and missiles against even half of 1.3 billion Indians - take you pick, I am with the civilians.

The army men don't come from Mars, they are born and bred right here, on mother earth.

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Wait, I don't quite get the connection between the army and democracy. The army doesn't vote.
It's not about voting, our Army men are also humans, alleged coup needs a certain amount of public support as well as support from IN and IAF, which is not available here, if we were tired of our corrupt democracy then this would be something which people have supported.

pmaitra

It's not about voting, our Army men are also humans, alleged coup needs a certain amount of public support as well as support from IN and IAF, which is not available here, if we were tired of our corrupt democracy then this would be something which people have supported.
Yes, if there is public support, the army coup might actually happen, and I think our politicians are cunning enough to know how much to steal and when to stop.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
What is IA's Brigade 111 counterpart ?
Oh you mean India is Pakistan? Pakistan is a mere province .. So in India there is no equivalant.

The story is old style coup mongering by the Babus scaring the civilian politicians .

KS

Bye bye DFI
This is w.r.t. the question what will civilians do?

You probably don't know, but there are stories, unsupported claims if you will, that keep circulating how civilians took on the army for days, yes, the army, not the police, state rifles or CRPF. Such stories can never be verified because they hurt the morale of the nations security forces and also exposes human rights abuses.
Where..and for what purpose..the civilians will take on anyone if their existence is threatened...I'm not sure if any civilian will even break a sweat, let alone face an army for a coup which will not impact his existence directly.

For the common civilian its always "Raman aandalum, raavanan aandalum enakkoru kavalai illa" - meaning "He doesn't give a damn if its Ram ruling him or Raavan ruling him".

Could you explain why the US hasn't gone Pakistan way? I have a few answers, but then, sometimes I too search for answers.
A general awareness about law and order...a chilled attitude about religion,ethnicity and the overarching "American" identity....a society that doesnt have much fake ghairat, or "honor" concept endemic to south asia...many such reasons can be given

Oh you mean India is Pakistan? Pakistan is a mere province .. So in India there is no equivalant.

The story is old style coup mongering by the Babus scaring the civilian politicians .
You did not understand my question...:)

pmaitra

Where..and for what purpose..the civilians will take on anyone if their existence is threatened...I'm not sure if any civilian will even break a sweat, let alone face an army for a coup which will not impact his existence directly.

For the common civilian its always "Raman aandalum, raavanan aandalum enakkoru kavalai illa" - meaning "He doesn't give a damn if its Ram ruling him or Raavan ruling him".
Like I said, public support is important. Public apathy might not hinder, but public ire can be really deadly. Most nations don't put up with BS for too long.

A general awareness about law and order...a chilled attitude about religion,ethnicity and the overarching "American" identity....a society that doesnt have much fake ghairat, or "honor" concept endemic to south asia...many such reasons can be given
Good analysis.

KS

Bye bye DFI
Like I said, public support is important. Public apathy might not hinder, but public ire can be really deadly. Most nations don't put up with BS for too long..
I dont think the common Indian who lives for himself and his family would give two hoots about who rules him.

Sure the candle kissing crowd and the boy-cut,sleeveless blouse,large bindi gang might lament on national televisions..but that is to it.

noob101

2 million army people with all the tanks and missiles against even half of 1.3 billion Indians - take you pick, I am with the civilians.

The army men don't come from Mars, they are born and bred right here, on mother earth.
Even a billion poorly armed civilians don't stand a chance to the IA.... again tell me how civilians are going to stand up against the military, they have artillery, bombers missiles while the only things we will have are semi automatic weapons.... plus are we Indians that hell bent on stooping an coup if it happens lets recall all the insurgency wars of the past that were successful .. ex Vietnam there were probably 10 NVA, VeitCong soilders killed for every American.. or even Afghanistan Taliban looses about the same for every solider they kill.....

On your second point are you implying that IA wont fire on their own people.... here is why I don't think that will make such an impact, firstly IA ain't stupid and is not going to base Madras regiment in south India, secondly history proves different after all the British army in India was made up of Indian Sepoys that killed a lot of Indians....

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
The governement issuing terror alert to block roads is laughable.

1) The army would have used paratroopers to land troops.

2) if there was an onward march to delhi for a coup by the army, the public would make way on the roads and let them pass considering the anger against the government.

3) Most importantly Army is NOT interested in a coup.

pmaitra

Even a billion poorly armed civilians don't stand a chance to the IA.... again tell me how civilians are going to stand up against the military, they have artillery, bombers missiles while the only things we will have are semi automatic weapons.... plus are we Indians that hell bent on stooping an coup if it happens lets recall all the insurgency wars of the past that were successful .. ex Vietnam there were probably 10 NVA, VeitCong soilders killed for every American.. or even Afghanistan Taliban looses about the same for every solider they kill.....

On your second point are you implying that IA wont fire on their own people.... here is why I don't think that will make such an impact, firstly IA ain't stupid and is not going to base Madras regiment in south India, secondly history proves different after all the British army in India was made up of Indian Sepoys that killed a lot of Indians....
Oh that's not too difficult to estimate, given how the Maoists are snatching away weapons from security forces. In the beginning whatever be the equation, as the war progresses, it will in all likelihood be like Libya or Syria.

Also, don't forget the Bolshevik Revolution. Who did that? It was started by a handful of soldiers, but later on, the civilians (well, call them Red Army), won, didn't they?

anoop_mig25

Country flag
so whats happening . i have not opened tv yet and watched any news yet but i hope there would be going strong gagagag debate on it with politicans of laalu demanding sacking of general

arya

Country flag
all i can say is that some people are working overtime behind the scene, that man is honest, so let him go quietly now, enough of this mud throwing.
you are right , well when ever you try to clen dirth then you hands must be get some dirt .

but that not good thing . fact is that in our govt few top level are working for ISI and chinise spy.

ISI HAS DEEP LINK IN OUR GOVT THAT'S WHY DAUD IBRAHIM IS SAFE TILL NOW

Poseidon

Country flag
Kash yeh sach hota.

I would have lovingly said bye-bye to Modi and the Gandhi's.

noob101

Oh that's not too difficult to estimate, given how the Maoists are snatching away weapons from security forces. In the beginning whatever be the equation, as the war progresses, it will in all likelihood be like Libya or Syria.

Also, don't forget the Bolshevik Revolution. Who did that? It was started by a handful of soldiers, but later on, the civilians (well, call them Red Army), won, didn't they?
As everyone knows there is no way that Lybian revolution would have succeeded without NATO help, US did spend about a billion dollars worth of bombs on Gadafi's forces.... plus the the rebels in this case had a lot of heavy military grade weapons mounted on pick ups.
Almost everyone agrees that the Syrian dictatorship is still in control of the country and no one is realistically expecting the rebels to win anything in syria without any outside help...

thirdly the Red revolution in the USSR was not a coup, yes the Czar's solders rebelled against the Czar but they fought along with the people against the monarchy. You are comparing apples and oranges in this situation, what I am saying is fundamentally the people don't stand a chance if the IA chooses to stage a coup. Aslo by your admission it was a revolution and not a coup!!!!!!

Finally, how determined will the Indian public be to take losses.... many Libyan rebels died, many Syrian casualties and little known about how many died in the Bolshevik revolution .... I don't think we as a people are all the willing to die so easily,

Also you have to think realistically allowing the public to carry arms is going to have a very detrimental effect lets take for example if such a law was to take place the first people to arm themselves is going to be the RSS and the Hindu right wing groups seeing them SIMI and other radical Islamic groups are going to do the same thing... and before we know it communal riots will become full blown out communal wars. not to mention it would be a lot more difficult to trace weapons by law enforcement....

here is a simple question for you.... If the Indian public is allowed to bear arms, how many Indians would buy guns to protect the country from a coup, and how many people would buy guns for other reasons? do we want to become like America the leader in the world for gun violence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles