Tracking Indian Economy till general elections 2019

Chinmoy

Country flag
I'm gonna sleep a content man tonight. Yes, many more content and fulfilling nights to come, but this is good and also vindicates 'bhakt's and the man they were backing, viz.. @Flame Thrower @Yggdrasil @Ancient Indian among others.

I know this is bad, but this will grow as like others.

But... but demonitization was a failure you bhakt.
Waiting to read the daily morning dose of GOI bashing tomorrow..... :)

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
so guys what do you expect would India touch 2.7 trillion GDP by 2019?

Ancient Indian

p = np :)
I'm gonna sleep a content man tonight. Yes, many more content and fulfilling nights to come, but this is good and also vindicates 'bhakt's and the man they were backing, viz.. @Flame Thrower @Yggdrasil @Ancient Indian among others.

I know this is bad, but this will grow as like others.

But... but demonitization was a failure you bhakt.
Modi destroyed the economy. There won't be any recovery until we have congress government. I don't know what you bhakths are celebrating about.:biggrin2:

indiatester

Country flag
@YagamiLight @Khagesh @square
Folks, need your input on the new GDP data. Last we touched base on state of the economy was when India jumped 30 points in ease of doing business.
Then we had the Moody's upgrade.
Now GDP numbers show a slight uptick.

http://www.livemint.com/Politics/pZ...growth-surges-to-63-in-September-quarter.html
India’s GDP growth rebounds to 6.3% in September quarter
The rebound in GDP growth rate in the September, from a three-year low of 5.7% in the June quarter, indicates that the Indian economy has shaken off the lingering effects of demonetisation and GST rollout

The GDP data for the September quarter came on a day when it was reported that India’s fiscal deficit at the end of October hit 96.1% of the budget estimate for 2017-18. Photo: Mint
New Delhi: India’s GDP growth quickened to 6.3% in the September quarter, up from a three-year low of 5.7% in the June quarter, an indication that the Indian economy has shaken off the lingering effects of demonetisation last year and GST rollout on 1 July.

Manufacturing activity accelerated due to restocking of warehouses by companies after temporary disruption caused by uncertainties surrounding implementation of goods and services tax (GST).

While agriculture sector decelerated to 1.7% in September quarter from 2.3% in June quarter due to unfavourable kharif output, manufacturing sector grew at 7% against 1.2% during the same period. Mining output and electricity generation also grew faster than the first quarter at 5.5% and 7.6% respectively. However, most of the services sectors slowed down including the public expenditure which grew at 6% in second quarter against 9.5% in the first quarter.

Finance minister Arun Jaitley said September quarter marks the reversal of the downward trend in economic growth. “Additionally, this indicates that perhaps the impact of the two structural reforms—demonetisation and GST—is behind us and hopefully, we can look for an upward trajectory in the third and the fourth quarter,” he added.

Former finance minister P. Chidambaram however said this a pause in the declining trend of economic growth. “We cannot say now whether this will mark an upward trend in the growth rate. We should wait for the growth rates over the next 3-4 quarters before we can reach a definite conclusion. 6.3% is far below the promise of the Modi government and far below the potential of a well-managed Indian economy,” he tweeted.

While demonetisation of high-value currencies in November last year was expected to have disrupted supply chains in the informal economy, uncertainties emanating from GST implementation forced companies to cut down production and stocks, leading to a dip in manufacturing activity in the June quarter.

Chief statistician of India T.C.A. Anant said the reversal in manufacturing activity in September quarter is mostly to meet the additional demand for the festive season. “Stock rebuilding by companies has not been completed. Next quarter GDP growth may also benefit from restocking,” he added.

Anant said the GDP estimation for the trade, hotel transport and communication services (9.9% in Q2 versus 11.1% in Q1) has been calculated using trend growth in past quarters which may have led to an underestimation. “This could be revised upward as new data is made available,” Anant said.

Ranen Banerjee, Partner with PwC India, said the Indian economy is still experiencing slow down in the services sector such as finance, transport and hotels that grew at 5.7% in September quarter against 6.4% in the previous quarter. “The possible causes could be the larger working capital requirements faced by services sector (especially export oriented ones) and teething process issues post GST implemention. We also possibly need to examine whether the three percentage point increase in tax rate on services to 18% under GST regime causing some demand side impacts. We will need to wait for thrid and fourth quarter GDP numbers to be able to comment on this more conclusively,” he added.

While growth in private consumption dipped to 6.5% in September quarter, investment demand growth picked up to 4.6% during the same quarter.

Public expenditure which used to be the driver of economic growth in the previous quarters slowed down to 6% in September quarter. Data separately released by the Controller General of Accounts showed government exhausting 96% of its annual fiscal deficit target in first seven months of the fiscal year till October against 73% exhausted during the same period a year ago.

Gireesh Chandra Prasad contributed to this story.

First Published: Thu, Nov 30 2017. 05 33 PM IST

YagamiLight

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
@YagamiLight @Khagesh @square
Folks, need your input on the new GDP data. Last we touched base on state of the economy was when India jumped 30 points in ease of doing business.
Then we had the Moody's upgrade.
Now GDP numbers show a slight uptick.

http://www.livemint.com/Politics/pZ...growth-surges-to-63-in-September-quarter.html
India’s GDP growth rebounds to 6.3% in September quarter
The rebound in GDP growth rate in the September, from a three-year low of 5.7% in the June quarter, indicates that the Indian economy has shaken off the lingering effects of demonetisation and GST rollout

The GDP data for the September quarter came on a day when it was reported that India’s fiscal deficit at the end of October hit 96.1% of the budget estimate for 2017-18. Photo: Mint
New Delhi: India’s GDP growth quickened to 6.3% in the September quarter, up from a three-year low of 5.7% in the June quarter, an indication that the Indian economy has shaken off the lingering effects of demonetisation last year and GST rollout on 1 July.

Manufacturing activity accelerated due to restocking of warehouses by companies after temporary disruption caused by uncertainties surrounding implementation of goods and services tax (GST).

While agriculture sector decelerated to 1.7% in September quarter from 2.3% in June quarter due to unfavourable kharif output, manufacturing sector grew at 7% against 1.2% during the same period. Mining output and electricity generation also grew faster than the first quarter at 5.5% and 7.6% respectively. However, most of the services sectors slowed down including the public expenditure which grew at 6% in second quarter against 9.5% in the first quarter.

Finance minister Arun Jaitley said September quarter marks the reversal of the downward trend in economic growth. “Additionally, this indicates that perhaps the impact of the two structural reforms—demonetisation and GST—is behind us and hopefully, we can look for an upward trajectory in the third and the fourth quarter,” he added.

Former finance minister P. Chidambaram however said this a pause in the declining trend of economic growth. “We cannot say now whether this will mark an upward trend in the growth rate. We should wait for the growth rates over the next 3-4 quarters before we can reach a definite conclusion. 6.3% is far below the promise of the Modi government and far below the potential of a well-managed Indian economy,” he tweeted.

While demonetisation of high-value currencies in November last year was expected to have disrupted supply chains in the informal economy, uncertainties emanating from GST implementation forced companies to cut down production and stocks, leading to a dip in manufacturing activity in the June quarter.

Chief statistician of India T.C.A. Anant said the reversal in manufacturing activity in September quarter is mostly to meet the additional demand for the festive season. “Stock rebuilding by companies has not been completed. Next quarter GDP growth may also benefit from restocking,” he added.

Anant said the GDP estimation for the trade, hotel transport and communication services (9.9% in Q2 versus 11.1% in Q1) has been calculated using trend growth in past quarters which may have led to an underestimation. “This could be revised upward as new data is made available,” Anant said.

Ranen Banerjee, Partner with PwC India, said the Indian economy is still experiencing slow down in the services sector such as finance, transport and hotels that grew at 5.7% in September quarter against 6.4% in the previous quarter. “The possible causes could be the larger working capital requirements faced by services sector (especially export oriented ones) and teething process issues post GST implemention. We also possibly need to examine whether the three percentage point increase in tax rate on services to 18% under GST regime causing some demand side impacts. We will need to wait for thrid and fourth quarter GDP numbers to be able to comment on this more conclusively,” he added.

While growth in private consumption dipped to 6.5% in September quarter, investment demand growth picked up to 4.6% during the same quarter.

Public expenditure which used to be the driver of economic growth in the previous quarters slowed down to 6% in September quarter. Data separately released by the Controller General of Accounts showed government exhausting 96% of its annual fiscal deficit target in first seven months of the fiscal year till October against 73% exhausted during the same period a year ago.

Gireesh Chandra Prasad contributed to this story.

First Published: Thu, Nov 30 2017. 05 33 PM IST
I feared a complete collapse of indian economy following demonetisation. Glad it dint happen. Seems like indian businessmen and public are more resilient than what I thought. Let's hope no new screw up are done by the government from here on out and let us get back to our original growth rate

BTW, stop giving too much credit to western institute like moody. Their credit ratings mean Jackshit. Remember that these people were giving sub prime backed properties and companies AAA rating up until their eventual collapse in 2008

Indian Sniper.001

Country flag
Okay. Let's try something new, shall we? In the last few pages on this thread and also on other threads, you have made scathing comments on the govt. and disappeared when anyone asked you questions. Or atleast, when I asked you questions.
So, let's start afresh.
I feared a complete collapse of indian economy following demonetisation.
Gimme 10 reasons, okay... atleast 5 reasons as to why you feared a complete collapse of the Indian economy following DeMo.

Seems like indian businessmen and public are more resilient than what I thought. Let's hope no new screw up are done by the government from here on out and let us get back to our original growth rate
You seem to have had a very low belief/opinion on us Indians, my friend. After the demonetization of HDN was announced in India, Venezuela tried to do the same thing. Guess the result. Within a week, the civilians got on the streets and the govt. had to roll back the decision. But, in India it was a huge success. Yes, people faced problems, and no one can dispute that fact, but the people were willing to go through that ordeal, no? Now, coming to the question as to which original growth rate are you talking about? The one which your beloved 'Nehru' gave India - 'The Hindu Rate of Growth', or the one just before the BoP crisis, or the one just before the Modi govt. came to power in 2014?

BTW, stop giving too much credit to western institute like moody. Their credit ratings mean Jackshit.
We give credit to them when it comes to rankings in safety, healthcare, HDI, etc, etc, but when they give a favorable review on economy, we can't accept it, right? Anyways, I give a jackshit about their ratings. I believe in on-ground realities. The people are happy. Lakhs, or should I say crores of people have been helped by MUDRA, the employment is actually higher than portrayed, as the main focus is on white-collar jobs, which hardly contributes to 7-10% of the economy, read GDP. The manufacturing as picked up, so have the other sectors. Accept this fact or give the necessary stats to support your point. Enough is enough with your 'I'm an expert pose'. Your next post will expose you, perhaps like your guru - 'Expert without knowledge'.

I will be waiting.

Craigs

Country flag
I feared a complete collapse of indian economy following demonetisation. Glad it dint happen. Seems like indian businessmen and public are more resilient than what I thought. Let's hope no new screw up are done by the government from here on out and let us get back to our original growth rate

BTW, stop giving too much credit to western institute like moody. Their credit ratings mean Jackshit. Remember that these people were giving sub prime backed properties and companies AAA rating up until their eventual collapse in 2008
When you are sick, and doctor gives you injection which improves your condition do you file an fir for attempt to murder on the doctor? Just asking.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag

Indian economy is as resilient as it comes, you should have known this in the aftermath of 2008 recession itself.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles