There's No Escaping MBDA's Meteor Missile

p2prada

No what I meant that if both the sides are being guided by the respective AWACs then the other side could be forewarned about the missile and take evasive action.

My presumption was based on this line of yours
Yeah.

Also range matters. At 100Km, Meteor won't be any different than R-77/Aim-120. If the target is at a closer range, say half, then the Meteor's acceleration will make it 3 or 4 times more effective than R-77/Aim-120, but maneuverability is reduced.

In actual combat scenarios Meteor is way better unless the shots are taken at 20Km or 100Km distance.

How did you come to that conclusion? It looks like it goes faster to me.
Meteor is of a similar weight but has a larger cross section which increases drag.

MBDA already mentioned the booster on Meteor is small. It does not matter because while other missiles have a second rocket motor the Meteor has a faster throttleable RAMJET.

However there was talk that the Aim-120D's second motor boosts Aim-120 to Mach 3.5, up from Mach 2.5. The new figure should actually match Meteor's RAMJET powered cruise speed. Unlike Aim-120, Meteor can accelerate to mach 4.5 if it has enough fuel which is what gives a greater kill probability.

Data for R-77 is obviously unavailable. IAF will receive the RVV-SD(a modernized Izdeliye 170-1) while VVS will receive the Izdeliye 180, a more advanced version of what IAF is going to get, but both will be at Aim-120C7 level. RVV-BD is unknown to date.

Reactions: sob

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles