The Taliban are not our enemy, Biden

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
The Taliban are not an enemy of the U.S. and should not be talked about in such terms, Joe Biden has claimed.
The vice-president said the militant Islamist group only represents an inherent threat if it allows Al-Qaeda to strike at the U.S.
In an interview with Newsweek, Mr Biden warned against labelling the Taliban as an enemy.

Language of peace? Joe Biden said the Taliban only represents an inherent threat if it allows Al-Qaeda to strike at the U.S.
He said: 'That's critical. There is not a single statement that the president has ever made in any of our policy assertions that the Taliban is our enemy because it threatens U.S. interests.'
Mr Biden's comments come as senior U.S. officials prepare to negotiate a peace deal with Taliban militants.
Even after a surge in U.S. troops in Afghanistan has pushed the Taliban out of much of their southern stronghold, the group's intentions regarding peace talks remain unclear.

More...
Obama makes a comeback: President's approval rating climbs to 49%... as House squabbles over payroll tax
Are Condi and Hillary about to join the 2012 race? Rivals tipped to run for VP (and the top job in 2016)
A senior Taliban commander, speaking after U.S. officials' description of the peace process was published on Sunday, denied the group is engaged in negotiations.
'Our position on talks remains the same. All occupying forces have to leave Afghanistan. Then we can talk,' the commander told Reuters.
It is thought that the Taliban might deny taking part in initial discussions to shore up morale among fighters on the ground.
But the news of possible peace talks with the Taliban has been met with some resistance, illustrating the political risk the Obama administration is taking by considering a prisoner transfer.

Down with arms? U.S. officials are preparing to negotiate a peace deal with Taliban militants
Government officials claim a transfer of Taliban prisoners from the Guantanamo Bay military prison into Afghan government custody could be one confidence-building measure critical to making progress towards a peace deal between the Taliban and the government of Afghan President Hamid Karzai.
But a key Republican senator yesterday warned against negotiations with the Taliban.
Senator Saxby Chambliss, senior Republican on the U.S. Senate Intelligence Committee, said: 'It sounds as if the administration has decided to negotiate with terrorists, something the United States does not do.
'Handing over detainees, who likely continue to pose a threat to the United States, should not be the first step in building confidence.'
Officials are not optimistic about their chances of clinching a deal, but they hope the transfer of five Taliban detainees and other possible confidence-building measures, including a Taliban denunciation of terrorism, might lead to authentic Afghan-Taliban talks on the war-torn country's political future.
'It sounds as if the administration has decided to negotiate with terrorists, something the United States does not do'
Republican Senator Saxby Chambliss

White House efforts to strike a deal with a repressive Islamist movement that has been killing U.S. soldiers for a decade - even if it is now widely accepted the war cannot be won on the battlefield alone - could become a liability for Mr Obama in an election year.
Mr Chambliss said: 'Any discussion of prisoner transfers should only be done after an agreement to cease hostilities has been reached.
'It should be done in the open, with thorough oversight from Congress and visibility for the American people about exactly who these detainees are and what terrorist acts they committed.'
Officials said the possible transfer of detainees would be a 'national decision' made in consultation with Congress in accordance with new rules for handling detainees.
Mr Obama is expected to shortly sign into law the 2011 defence authorisation bill, which includes provisions that would broaden the military's involvement in detaining suspected militants and require the Pentagon to certify in most cases certain security conditions will be met before prisoners can be sent home.
But the White House has stressed that any real negotiations must take place directly between the Karzai government and the Taliban, with U.S. diplomats only playing a facilitating role.
Yet it is clear that in Washington, there is a growing willingness to engage directly with the Taliban as foreign troops edge closer towards the exit in Afghanistan.
Mr Obama has promised to withdraw his 33,000 surge troops by next autumn, and most foreign combat troops are expected to be gone by the end of 2014, leaving Afghan forces in the lead.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...e-deal-end-Afghanistan-war.html#ixzz2PoaA7RY2
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

pmaitra

My fingers are itching to comment on this thread, but I don't think I can write a proper post that reflects my true thoughts without using a generous dose of expletives. I will therefore, try to refrain from commenting on this article.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Joe Biden is a buffoon, but Obama uses him to test the waters policy-wise. It's as simple as that.

To wit:

Last edited by a moderator:

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Al-Qaeda is deeply entrenched within Taliban. Biden must be smoking herbs when he made that statement or US/NATO are bunch of idiots who were fighting apparitions for past one decade.

desicanuk

Cannot get more ridiculous. America has lost it, between the ears that is.
No!Not Americans.Joe represents Democrats not average American.Even then I wonder how many Democrats would agree with him.What I find most baffling is the attitude of Americans,Canadians and Brits of Indian origin.Most of these desis blindly support leftist parties that are hostile to India.

Damian

The fact is that Biden is just idiot. I remember what he said about the guns and guns laws, trying to convience Americans that they should ban semi automatic rifles and use shotguns because... shotguns are more deadly!

But the bigger problem is, why the hell Obama choose this men as his VP? Are he is also idiot? Are he is not thinking about what could happen when he will not be able to fullfill his functions and such idiot like Biden will replace him?

This is scary!

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Al-Qaeda is deeply entrenched within Taliban. Biden must be smoking herbs when he made that statement or US/NATO are bunch of idiots who were fighting apparitions for past one decade.
So after 10 years US is unable to get any solid result and now gradually shifting it's policies from enemy to non-enemy and soon friends forever :lol:

Because of these policies US is caught up in a never ending game and looking to save it's face from this never ending WOT.

Seems like US is waiting some major attack and atrocities on mainland to do something solid against "friend Taliban" . :hmm:

amoy

After going through the above replies I'm aware it's dangerous to agree with "Joe" :shocked:

But I still want to voice Joe is right at this point - it all depends on your standpoint. America's operations in Afghanistan should have been limited to such as getting rid of OBL, subduing Al Qaeda, but not taking on Taliban. Once the mission is accomplished America shall pull out as quickly as possible, not to be quagmired. What's left behind can be messy messy for Afghanistan and peripheral countries but that's not much of America's concern. Isn't this what's happening now?

average american

It was a mess befor we got there, and it will be a mess after we leave. All we did is resuffle the deck. Maybe a better way to put it was to rearrange the chairs on the Titanic. If you dont like what americans are doing in Afganstan and Pakistan quit whineing and do something your self.

agentperry

americans enter fast and mess up everything, but they come out even faster messing up even more

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
After going through the above replies I'm aware it's dangerous to agree with "Joe" :shocked:

But I still want to voice Joe is right at this point - it all depends on your standpoint. America's operations in Afghanistan should have been limited to such as getting rid of OBL, subduing Al Qaeda, but not taking on Taliban. Once the mission is accomplished America shall pull out as quickly as possible, not to be quagmired. What's left behind can be messy messy for Afghanistan and peripheral countries but that's not much of America's concern. Isn't this what's happening now?
May be the 1971 Bangladesh war could have given a que or two.

dhananjay1

Americans want to get out of Afghanistan. Unlike Iraq, it's not a very profitable country to occupy.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles