The Pentagon's doctored ledgers conceal epic waste

Discussion in 'Americas' started by t_co, Nov 19, 2013.

1. t_co

t_co Senior Member Senior Member

Extremely detailed, well-researched, and highly relevant article on logistics and administration (easily the most underappreciated areas of military science). Though it's long, I recommend any DFIer with a serious interest in business/finance or military administration read this.

@W.G. Ewald - how accurate is this report? Are the budgetary systems in the DoD really as broken as Reuters suggests?

Also, @Ray, @Kunal Biswas, and @Decklander how do the IA/IAF/IN handle the task of keeping their books straight? Are they audited?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/11/18/us-usa-pentagon-waste-specialreport-idUSBRE9AH0LQ20131118

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  3. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

In India, there are audits and all transaction is based through a board.

Now, if everything is flawed and corrupt, then there is little to say.

Life is a gamble.

and the Chinese are the best at gambling and so you would not better than anyone, that nothing is life is perfect and their is no guaranteed win - there is just the gamble hedging on luck!

4. W.G.Ewald

W.G.Ewald Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2 Defence Professionals

I get a check from DFAS every month. I would be foolish to criticize them.

But government waste, especially in the military, is a big problem, and for all the expose's that have been done, it continues.

Yusuf likes this.
  5. t_co

t_co Senior Member Senior Member

I'll say here that the Chinese military is no better than the Pentagon when it comes to waste, either. I have literally watched officers from the General Logistics Department order way more equipment (specifically, radar-absorbing paint) than they need in order to fulfill an EOQ and hence get kickbacks.

W.G.Ewald likes this.