The Greatest Kings in Indian History

Discussion in 'Religion & Culture' started by Bhoja, Oct 8, 2011.

?

Who is the Greatest King in Indian History?

1. Chandragupta Maurya

76 vote(s)
    37.4%
  2. Ashoka

29 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Raja Chola

21 vote(s)
    10.3%
  4. Akbar

12 vote(s)
    5.9%
  5. Sri Krishna Devaraya

11 vote(s)
    5.4%
  6. Chatrapati Shivaji

30 vote(s)
    14.8%
  7. Tipu Sultan

5 vote(s)
    2.5%
  8. Ranjith Singh

5 vote(s)
    2.5%
  9. Samudra Gupta

5 vote(s)
    2.5%
  10. Chandragupta Vikramaditya

7 vote(s)
    3.4%
  11. Harsha

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  12. Kanishka

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  1. Kharavela

Kharavela Regular Member

What about who defeated Greeks ?

Mahameghavahan Aira Kharavela not only defeated Greek army thoroughly, he kicked their ass all the way from Mathura to Hindukush.

Inscriptions at Hatigumpha shed some light on military might of Emperor Kharavela.
    Infantry was around 3 lakhs, Cavalry was to the tune of 1 lakh.

Just imagine an Army of 4 lakh marching through during first century BCE.

2. nirranj

nirranj Regular Member

I have limited knowledge about him. But I will read about him to redeem myself! Thanks for pointing out. Who ever had defeated a foreign invader or took our values to a foreign land are a source of inspiration for me!

topgear and Kharavela like this.
  3. asingh10

asingh10 Senior Member Senior Member

4. asingh10

asingh10 Senior Member Senior Member

Speaking of Harsha, during his reign China had attacked India owning to some internal weaknesses, something that most Indians have probably not heard of. According to Nehru, China and India had never fought a war through 2,000 years of history, and therefore a war between the two neighbours was impossible. Mao, on the other hand, is cited by Mr. Kissinger as telling his commanders that India & China had in fact, fought "one-and-a-half" wars before 1962 : first one 1,300 years earlier during Harsha's reign when the Tang dynasty had sent troops to aid one Indian kingdom against its rival and a "half war" when Mongol ruler Timurlane sacked Delhi. Half because back then Mongolia and China were part of the same political entity.

It's interesting that Mao wasn't aware of the more recent Sino-Sikh wars in 19th century under General Zorawar Singh Kahluria. Nor did he consider the wars with Kanishka (Kushan empire), or the wars with Indianized kingdoms of Uttarpatha(Central Asia), both of which happened before Harsha.

[​IMG]

5. Kharavela

Kharavela Regular Member

Two corrections:

1) Mahameghavahan Aira Kharavela was from Chedi (चेदी) dynasty. Mahameghavahan was his title meaning the Great One who uses clouds as his ride.

2) Pushyamitra Shunga surrendered before Emperor Kharavela & returned "Kalinga Jin".

In this Jungle, we are intolerant of #Presstitutes

asingh10 likes this.
  6. Screambowl

Screambowl Senior Member Senior Member

This is time to march and create buffer point somewhere close to Iran.

Alexander started its adventure because Greek was facing invasions after invasions. So he took the army and went fighting till India. So that for the next 2000 years there is no threat erupts and if erupts , it is finished far away from Greek.

Kharavela likes this.
  7. Indian Devil

Indian Devil Regular Member

The greatest king of world history according to me is SamudraGupta

8. Indian Devil

Indian Devil Regular Member

The greatest king of world history according to me is SamudraGupta

9. Kshatriya87

Kshatriya87 Senior Member Senior Member

I respect all honorable kings. They all did their part. But King Shivaji makes me feel like worshipping him. He was the only wall standing in between the Mughals and Indians. He took the battle to them when the war was almost lost. All of India would have been a big chunk of Islamic land if not for him. He gave the Mughal kings sleepless nights and never gave them enough time to recover from the injuries.

Not only defending India, but he also used to respect his citizens a lot. Especially his soldiers. And now look at the true Indian culture. Even when he was the King, he and all others respected and kept the word of his mother more. That is Indian culture. Not like these Mughals who killed and imprisoned their families just to secure the throne.