The Gold Bloodbath

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
The Gold Bloodbath - Forbes

For years nothing seemed to stop the upward march of the price of gold. Fears of inflation, concerns over the future of the euro, central bank intervention and problems in the global banking system, all seemed to push gold higher. But in recent days the price of gold has sunk fast, a stunning reversal that has reverberated in the financial markets.

The strengthening of the U.S. dollar, news that Cyprus could soon unload excess gold reserves, bearish outlooks on gold from big investment banks like Goldman Sachs, and just outright selling of gold by influential investors like George Soros, have all contributed to the gold crash that has seen gold enter a bear market.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
I wonder if Glenn Beck is pushing gold today...

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Usually gold price tumbles when the economy strengthens then conversely.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Tremendous loss for me with my meager possession. I just bought my wife something after 8 years of marriage 10 days back.

tramp

Those who went short on gold earned profit of INR250,000 for every lot in two days!! And for every lot of silver INR175,000!

pmaitra

Usually gold price tumbles when the economy strengthens then conversely.
Or, put it this way, when people have more confidence in Fiat Money, its demand increases, causing Gold to look relatively cheaper than the Fiat Money.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Or, put it this way, when people have more confidence in Fiat Money, its demand increases, causing Gold to look relatively cheaper than the Fiat Money.
Five Main Factors That Cause Gold's Value To Fluctuate

1. Central Bank Buying

Huge double-digit price movements in gold could mean that there are big buyers and sellers in the market like central banks.

2. Currency Debasement

The most popular reason to own gold is as a hedge against inflation. The theory is as paper currency loses value, gold will retain its purchasing power, making it a safe place to preserve one's wealth.

3. Safe Haven and Peer Pressure Buying

Traditionally, gold investing was reserved for gold bugs -- those who thought global wealth would be eradicated and gold would be the only currency left standing.

4. Supply and Demand

The supply and demand factor is pivotal in determining the price of gold.

5. Price Manipulation

Price manipulation is the most controversial theory that has circulated among gold bugs for 20 years. Some argue that gold prices have been illegally suppressed over the last two decades by central banks and governments. The Gold Anti-Trust Action Committee, or GATA, is the biggest complainant.

5 Main Factors That Cause Gold's Value To Fluctuate

SPIEZ

Country flag
A very good time for investors to enter commodities trading.

SPIEZ

Country flag
Tremendous loss for me with my meager possession. I just bought my wife something after 8 years of marriage 10 days back.
Prices of gold and rare metals will always raise and fall. You would have only managed to save a wee bit by buying something for your wife.
What you bought for your wife would remain with her for at least 30 years, you can guess what the value of gold will be than.

Alsso, the price of gold was nearly 3100 per gram in 2012, when compared to that I dont believe you would have lost much money.

SPIEZ

Country flag
@Yusuf you should probably read about cost averaging.

Last edited by a moderator:

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
folks - it all depends on the time frame in which you entered the investment - take it from a person who has been studying the commodity markets since 1983 with actual investing experience since 1987 .....if you had bought gold even as recently as 2009 you would have bought an ounce at 900 usd - even with this recent downturn , you would still be sitting on a very lovely floating profit ( as i believe the price at this moment is around 1374 approx ) and would have had ample time to exit laughing all the way to the bank ! ....there is heavy support at 1,100 usd but of course before that there is weak support at 1200 usd ....for the next couple of years it is not gonna go below 900 usd on a weekly candlestick chart i.e wont stay there for more than a week ....and at that level 900 - 1000 i believe it will consolidate for a few years . (disclaimer :- all this is just a study and not trading advice )

as for cost-averaging - be ready to hold onto your seats and please never over-stretch your financial budget ....it can prove fatal

set aside a certain amount for trading ....... money that if lost, wont change your life-style in a major way and if you lose it , be humble enough to admit it and quit - this applies especially if trading on margin - gearing factors apply so very much more caution is necessary

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
@Yusuf you should probably read about cost averaging.
I know mate hat in the long run it will average out unless off course gold goes back to the 10,000 level!!

I am just thinking of the present. If I knew good would fall like this, I would have saved a few thousand rupees.

Last edited by a moderator:

pmaitra

I know mate hat in the long run it will average out unless off course gold goes back to the 10,000 level!!

I am just thinking of the present. If I knew good would fall like this, I would have saved a few thousand rupees.
It's all emotional. You are giving more importance to pieces of paper that are, in most part, backed by nothing, than gold? Look at it this way, the money you spent to buy that gold was valueless anyway. It is all debt, only fractionally backed (fractional reserve banking). You have invested in gold, you have done a good job. Do it again. It will be handy when hard times befall.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
It's all emotional. You are giving more importance to pieces of paper that are, in most part, backed by nothing, than gold? Look at it this way, the money you spent to buy that gold was valueless anyway. It is all debt, only fractionally backed (fractional reserve banking). You have invested in gold, you have done a good job. Do it again. It will be handy when hard times befall.
Yes mate all understood. But my investment cost would have been a little lesser. 20k ka difference in a matter if a week is pinching. On the other hand it it had shot up, I would have been laughing. I know its part of the game but as human beings, when we see loss, we crib :D

tramp

Yes it is human to crib when one is hit by a perceived loss. But its only perceived loss so long as you do not liquidate your asset or feel you may have to do that in near future without sufficient time for market to rebound.

But one good thing that one learns in market (which can be applied to the life too) is to never worry when there is a slump because tomorrow is always a different day. So cheer up!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles