Terrorist attack on Pathankot Airbase

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Some points to be noted...

1) first attack outside of j&k is done by JeM not LeT.
2) from some months now, only pig hunting going on inside j&k. No attacks as such.
3) IAF personnel who was honey trapped by pak is being presented in court right now. Who knows how much the guy gave out.
4) forces were already alerted at Pathankot, operation seems to be going out on the periphery of the airbase.

And lastly it would be naive of us to assume that the road to peace would be anything but peaceful.

Navneet Kundu

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
I firmly believe that India will have to merge with Pakistan first and Bangladesh later in the next 30-40 years. It is important to create a political basis first.
Sometimes I seriously wonder why some people fail to pass on their genes. Natural selection does not favour closed eyes dreamers disconnected from reality.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
The bigger question is if they had specific input many hours before, there shouldn't have been any causalities.
exactly some people are sleeping on the job, other are enjoying Bangkok massage. Price paid by poor guards.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Question to be asked Wat the f.uck BSF is doing . The Punjab border is heavenly guard . Electrified , infrared camera and motion sensor . Fire some BSF officials
Just out of curiousity:

This pic shows that that there is a fence is the J&K area, but not elsewhere.

What is the actual situation of the fences? Anybody know?

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
Just out of curiousity:

I saw this picture from Nasa sometime ago.

Indo-Pak border is not only fenced but also lit up for the whole night. Also, Punjab has a lot of drugs being smuggled from Pak and they are being affected by strict fencing on Indian side. So I saw a program where smugglers try very smart ideas to pass the drugs to the other side (even use pigeons!!)

Navneet Kundu

I believe the best course of action is to squeeze concessions out of Nawaz Sharif before he gets assassinated by the ISI. The commitment at Ufa was nothing short of a diplomatic coup. It mentioned Indian concerns about Pakistani terrorism while refusing to acknowledge the Pakistani premise of any 'Indian hand' in Pakistan's domestic affairs. Once favorable formal commitments like these are made, it is in our interest to see them through. If BJP is pushing through with talks it is because they have secured a commitment of concessions that are favorable to India and not shooting in the dark by making peaceful gestures in the hope that Pakistan might respond favorably. This is definitely not the same as the UPA regime insisting that the talks must go on, no matter the price even when they hadn't secured any concession or a commitment to make a concession like the one made in Ufa.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
I saw this picture from Nasa sometime ago.

Indo-Pak border is not only fenced but also lit up for the whole night. Also, Punjab has a lot of drugs being smuggled from Pak and they are being affected by strict fencing on Indian side. So I saw a program where smugglers try very smart ideas to pass the drugs to the other side (even use pigeons!!)
Yeah I saw that pic too & that is what I believed too; that the Indo-Pak border is fully fenced and patrolled etc.
But the Economist is a decent source and this pic doesn't have a credible source, which is why I asked about the actual situation there in my previous post.
Maybe the Economist is wrong??

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
Yeah I saw that pic too & that is what I believed too; that the Indo-Pak border is fully fenced and patrolled etc.
But the Economist is a decent source and this pic doesn't have a credible source, which is why I asked about the actual situation there in my previous post.
I saw it on original NASA website. That should be credible.

Also, the programs about drug trafficking.

Navneet Kundu

Just out of curiousity:

That's not true. Check this Rajya Sabha TV Documentary which clearly shows that the western border is fenced and also has floodlights : (timeline 2:40 to 3:40)

Nicky G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I believe the best course of action is to squeeze concessions out of Nawaz Sharif before he gets assassinated by the ISI. The commitment at Ufa was nothing short of a diplomatic coup. It mentioned Indian concerns about Pakistani terrorism while refusing to acknowledge the Pakistani premise of any 'Indian hand' in Pakistan's domestic affairs. Once favorable formal commitments like these are made, it is in our interest to see them through. If BJP is pushing through with talks it is because they have secured a commitment of concessions that are favorable to India and not shooting in the dark by making peaceful gestures in the hope that Pakistan might respond favorably. This is definitely not the same as the UPA regime insisting that the talks must go on, no matter the price even when they hadn't secured any concession or a commitment to make a concession like the one made in Ufa.
Paki's commitments are useless. they'll simply not honor them, just as they refused to honor Ufa. Heck, these low lives don't even honor the Simla agreement.

The way to deal with these scum in like in '71, only more brutal. Let these fu*kers nuke their own lands with their so called tactical nukes if they are have the balls, which they don't.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
What concessions can Nawaz give? It is another lie being peddled by BJP lovers that Nawaz can do a lot. He is just a puppet in the hands of Pak Army and can definitely do nothing on terrorism front.

Navneet Kundu

What concessions can Nawaz give?
Let me clarify myself, I am certain that Nawaz can't deliver anything but formal commitments have certain value if you know how to use them to your advantage. Our approach has to be more nuanced. If you squeeze out any favorable official commitment, which later becomes official document, the least we can use it is to throw a tantrum when we want to call of talks. So if the Pakistan Army steps in to play spoil sport we have a valid LEGAL reason to call off talks. That's how we build pressure on Pakistan. Don't get me wrong, I don't expect anything anything good out of the commitments, I'm merely saying that we could use them as stalling tactics until we strengthen ourselves internally to take the final offensive to Pakistan.

Navneet Kundu

1)Paki's commitments are useless.
2)The way to deal with these scum in like in '71, only more brutal.
1)True. But the Army is onboard this time as is evident from the TAPI pipeline which was inaugurated by Hamid Ansari last week. There seems to be some game plan and it seems to be working, which is unlike the UPA's stance of 'talks must go on' with the hope of concessions. Here, it seems, we have secured the concession beforehand and THEN moved on to talk peace.

2)No doubt about that. Subhramanian Swamy has said that from the point that India decides to fracture Pakistan it will take 3 years for the military to acquire the equipment. So, as far as I am concerned let's stall them for three years with peace talks until we are strong enough to hit them with decisive outcome unlike Kargil. We can use the temporary peace to wind up the insurgencies in North East and tackle the Naxal menace so that there are no weaknesses that could be exploited once we go to war.

Last edited:

Nicky G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
1)True. But the Army is onboard this time as is evident from the TAPI pipeline which was inaugurated by Hamid Ansari last week. There seems to be some game plan and it seems to be working, which is unlike the UPA's stance of 'talks must go on' with the hope of concessions. Here, it seems, we have secured the concession beforehand and THEN moved on to talk peace.

2)No doubt about that. Subhramanian Swamy has said that from the point that India decides to fracture Pakistan it will take 3 years for the military to acquire the equipment. So, as far as I am concerned let's stall them for three years with peace talks until we are strong enough to hit them (and keep China and USA at bay) with decisive outcome unlike Kargil.
Paki army works to sponsor itself and it secures its own finances. A pipeline might be fine for them but that does not mean they'll cease sponsoring terrorists. Besides, I am not in favor of that pipeline, too risky for India.

I am not sure about Swamy's assessment, but even if we assume it were true, were we working towards that from day one of this government or did we suddenly wake up. If the latter, it will be close to elections by the time this supposed capability has been acquired and then there is no guarantee that this government will come back.

Even so, all this is wishful thinking of Modi fanboyz at this stage. We have no indications that he is strong enough to go through with this.

By the way, are you implying that while we wait to build up these arms, we don't retaliate to this humiliating incident.

Navneet Kundu

I am not sure about Swamy's assessment, but even if we assume it were true, were we working towards that from day one of this government or did we suddenly wake up. If the latter, it will be close to elections by the time this supposed capability has been acquired and then there is no guarantee that this government will come back.

Even so, all this is wishful thinking of Modi fanboyz at this stage. We have no indications that he is strong enough to go through with this.

By the way, are you implying that while we wait to build up these arms, we don't retaliate to this humiliating incident.
Lots of assumptions there. First one being that elected leaders can drastically change national security policy. These things are long term plans made by defense council and are decades long strategies, between which many governments come and go. For example the decision to cut Pakistan to size was made after the 1965 debacle during Shashtri's time, but was executed in 1971. Same way, the first nuclear tests were done in 1974 during Indira, but further comprehensive tests needed to be done to ascertain our capability which were done during Vajpayee regime. So let's not allow petty political considerations to affect our strategic vision. If a plan is made to fracture Pakistan, it will be executed regardless of who is in power.

There is more to it than just Pakistan and we (we meaning the nation, not BJP or Congress) have steadily pushed in that direction although many people don't seem to notice. There are many examples but just to give you one, Indonesia had offered help to Pakistan during 1965 and 1971, and even offered to capture Andaman island for Pakistan. Look how we have managed to turn them around, we have launched Indonesian satellites last month, we have joint exercises with them and we have plucked Indonesia from Pakistan's sphere of influence and brought them on our side. Iran had also offered help to Pakistan during previous wars, and see where they stand today. There are more nations that need to be systematically 'sorted out' before we make the final push, so they dare not intervene when a war breaks out with Pakistan.

As far as today's attack is concerned, we had a cook in our hostel mess, whenever we didn't have money to pay him, we'd say 'Khate me likh do, baadme pura hisab karenge' Read: put it on my tab. I'll pay you back later.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles