Tenders for six conventional submarines soon!!

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...onal-submarines-soon/articleshow/48039492.cms

NEW DELHI: The Indian Navy will soon invite tenders for building six conventional submarines after a high-level committee of the defence ministry submitted its report identifying shipyards capable of executing the about Rs 60,000 crore project.

"The Committee has visited all the shipyards in the country and has submitted its report recently. It is under consideration of the Defence Ministry," defence sources said.

Though they remained tightlipped about the name of shipyards that have been shortlisted, the sources said a Request for Proposal (RFP) will be issued soon once the report has been studied in detail.

Besides the state-run shipyards, private players like Larsen & Toubro (L&T) and Pipavav Defence & Offshore Engineering Company, in which Anil Ambani-led ADAG has announced its decision to pick up a controlling stake, are eyeing the mega deal.

Defence sources had earlier said both L&T and Pipavav are strong contenders, besides the state-run Mazagon Dockyard Limited (MDL).

MDL is already making six Scorpene submarines. Asked if MDL would be the natural winner, sources said, the eco-system has to be developed and hinted that the order may go to a particular shipyard which could then outsource a part of the project to others.

India had in October decided to build six submarines at a cost of about Rs 60,000 crore under Project 75-India, rather than source it from outside.

The government has set up an eight-member committee to study both public and private shipyards.

The ministry will issue Request for Proposal (RFP) to specific ports that have been identified on the basis of the study which looked into whether they have the capacity and manpower to build the six submarines in the same port besides other parameters.

The submarines will be Air Independent Propulsion (AIP) capable that will enable them to stay under water longer than a conventional submarine, besides having enhanced stealth features.

The Navy currently has 13 operational submarines and the target set in 1999 was to have 24 by 2030. The previous UPA government had gone in for six Scorpene submarines and the first of the batch is likely to be delivered in September 2016.

avknight1408

Country flag

Shadow

Country flag
Why did they select MDL,its already loaded with orders.:doh:

Illusive

Country flag
Pipavav might win considering it has a tie up with MDL for construction of submarines. But L&T is a strong contender. Already they have offered to provide midget subs for Navy. MDL shouldn't get this, they will have orders for future Nuke subs.

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
Why did they select MDL,its already loaded with orders.:doh:
Submarine construction and Surface warship construction are separate departments in MDL. Once they start delivering Scorpene class submarines to the Indian Navy what will happen to those workers and engineers who have learnt a lot from DCNS engineers in submarine construction?

Pipavav might win considering it has a tie up with MDL for construction of submarines. But L&T is a strong contender. Already they have offered to provide midget subs for Navy. MDL shouldn't get this, they will have orders for future Nuke subs.
I thought those indigenous nuclear SSNs will be handed over to L&T and Vizag Ship Building Centre once they complete those indigenous SSBN project. :confused1:

Shadow

Country flag
Submarine construction and Surface warship construction are separate departments in MDL. Once they start delivering Scorpene class submarines to the Indian Navy what will happen to those workers and engineers who have learnt a lot from DCNS engineers in submarine construction?
But I think I read that there was a clause for follow on scorpene orders.If that happens,they will be busy with scorpene's for the coming 5-8 years.

Illusive

Country flag
I thought those indigenous nuclear SSNs will be handed over to L&T and Vizag Ship Building Centre once they complete those indigenous SSBN project. :confused1:
Don't know about L&T, but since the study is done by SBC at Vizag it'd make sense to build it in Vizag, but Navy plans to induct 2 more boomers of Arihant class making it 5 and then 5 more bigger next gen boomers.It'd make sense to build SSN's at MDL and let the private players have the smaller conventional subs. Its also depends on the timeline and maturity of these projects and also how things pan out with Russia with their offer to setup sub overhaul facility in India.

NLD

Don't know about L&T, but since the study is done by SBC at Vizag it'd make sense to build it in Vizag, but Navy plans to induct 2 more boomers of Arihant class making it 5 and then 5 more bigger next gen boomers.It'd make sense to build SSN's at MDL and let the private players have the smaller conventional subs. Its also depends on the timeline and maturity of these projects and also how things pan out with Russia with their offer to setup sub overhaul facility in India.
But sir i think it would be better if it goes to L&T and SBC because they have atleast seen what a nuclear submarine is but MDL hasnt and moreover they have already got experience in conventional submarine so it may be better if it is left with conventional and these two with nuclear.

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
Thats $10 billion. 6 subs for 10b is too steep.

Any news about our indigenous submarine design?
India is embarking on a project to produce indigenous class of nuclear attack boats (SSNs) under new submarine programme. The plan, to build at least six SSNs in India, was given financial sanction in February and designers are already at work on the project that could cost upwards of Rs 90,000 crore.

Read more at:
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...ofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst

avknight1408

Country flag
India is embarking on a project to produce indigenous class of nuclear attack boats (SSNs) under new submarine programme. The plan, to build at least six SSNs in India, was given financial sanction in February and designers are already at work on the project that could cost upwards of Rs 90,000 crore.

Read more at:
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...ofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst
No no not the nuclear subs. I was asking about the diesel electric ones. According to the 30 year submarine building plan there should have been a indigenous diesel sub. But no news on that.

NLD

No no not the nuclear subs. I was asking about the diesel electric ones. According to the 30 year submarine building plan there should have been a indigenous diesel sub. But no news on that.
Ha Ha Ha… u are talking about 30 year submarine plan?????
May be we can call this as the starting of it.
It is way behind the schedule..........
Plan was like this itself. We had to induct 12 subs before 2012 and another 12 within 2030.
From first 12 they would have gained experience and from which they would build the next.
So now the govt has changed it a little bit and nuclear attack submarines are replaced by some of conventional subs.
So may be we can call scorpene as the first step.... After gaining experience from that and even may be from next six conventional subs india will start building its own designed and in its own shipyard.

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
The thread I posted is for conventional submarine only. It could more be like a JV for 6 submarines that's why L&T, reliance , MDL, are on the list too. Under Project 75i. Which is follow up of Project 75

sob

Mod
Country flag
Any idea if the subs would be fitted with AIP.

NLD

Any idea if the subs would be fitted with AIP.
They will be fitted with AIP.
I think the last two scorpene subs will also be fitted with indegenious AIP.

Reactions: sob

sob

Mod
Country flag
They will be fitted with AIP.
I think the last two scorpene subs will also be fitted with indegenious AIP.
Any time line for these, if you have please share.
IIRC theRussians are also developing an AIP system.

NLD

Any time line for these, if you have please share.
IIRC theRussians are also developing an AIP system.
Sorry bro dont know anything about it……
May be senior members over here know……

Satybharat

Country flag
too expensive but we need more since China is acquiring Gawadar port

blueblood

It sucks balls that MOD is not ordering 2 more Scorpenes from France till this nonsense is sorted out.

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
Since DCNS are already giving India TOT and other support for building those Scorpenes then it is logical to give them Project 75I project also in partnership with an Indian shipyard. Russians can help us in building those six indigenous SSNs.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles