Street Vendor’s Execution Stokes Anger in China

Discussion in 'China' started by t_co, Sep 26, 2013.

1. t_co

t_co Senior Member Senior Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/26/world/asia/street-vendors-execution-stirs-anger-in-china.html?_r=0

China does have a conscience.

3. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

The common Chinese is getting fed up with the inequality in the dispensing justice.

I read that they are furious that Bo did not get death even after killing a foreigner, but this poor man got death and executed!

4. t_co

1) They are furious that Gu did not get death for premeditated murder of a human being. Poisoning implies premeditation, and premeditation is what Chinese law states should get someone the death penalty.

2) Bo was innocent of the murder; he was not innocent of the cover up. I know this because I know their son.

5. Ray

You are right.

I wanted to write Bo's wife, but since I am on the move, I missed out the critical part.

6. W.G.Ewald

W.G.Ewald Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2 Defence Professionals

I had shish kebab like that once.

7. t_co

But it tastes so good going in...

8. Ray

Going in?

Where?

Share your experience when it went where you felt it was greatI

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  9. t_co

Ate a bunch of kebabs off a Beijing food stall about 12 years ago. Came down with severe diarrhea and stomach cramping.

10. Ray

Must have been a Uighur Muslim who was cooking. :)

Muslims are the ones who in China can make Islamic food.

11. t_co

12 years ago, maybe. Over the past decade, Muslim recipes have gone mass-market in China. Contemporary Chinese cuisine has incorporated Uighur, Korean, Japanese, Vietnamese, Thai, and Mongolian food trends over the past 10 years, as outbound tourism increases. It's very noticeable if you look at a Chinese cookbook from 1999 versus a Chinese cookbook from 2013.

Basically, Uighur, Korean, etc. restaurants in China are a lot like Mexican or Italian places in the US - quasi-ethnic restaurants mostly patronized by other ethnicities.

Oh, and in addition to ethnic food, there's KFC, which is so ubiquitous in China I'm not sure it even qualifies as "American" anymore.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  12. Ray

Maybe, but one cook the original from cookbooks.

One has to have it from cooks who are handed the recipes from father to son.

KFC is a mass produced food, it cannot be compared with the subtle spices and fragrance of the Muslim cooking!

I can cook fine biriyani, but the Muslim cooks, who maybe total illiterates, of the alleys of Lucknow cook it better.

This modern trend of having international cooking available everywhere is wonderful. However, I still feel that if you want Greek food, there is nothing better than having it in Greece in a roadside restaurant than the 5 star affairs.

The Calcutta kati roll of Nizam (we cal it Nai- zam) cannot be replicated not even by the current Nizam since it has changed proprietorship and no longer having a Muslim as the owner!

13. Tshering22

Tshering22 Sikkimese Saber Senior Member

The irony, Ray sir, is that while they are expressing it in serious ways, we aren't.

Chinese people, even in a politically stifled nation like theirs, know how to get their rights while comparatively we Indians fail to get justice despite having the world's most accountable system of governance.

14. Ray

Could it be that they care for their Nation and have a greater ardour for their nationalism?

And are we gullible to believe in pseudo high morality of the style of Gandhi and big talk of these lesser leaders?

though to be fair, whenever (and it is rare) our worth PM speaks, I cannot understand a word since it sounds an incoherent mumble, but I will confess that soft unchanging in tone and pitch drone does make up for my lack of sleep! It is very addictive to slumber!

Tshering22 likes this.