Sri Lankan navy threatens, attacks TN fishermen

kseeker

Retired
RAMESWARAM (Tamil Nadu): Sri Lankan naval personnel on Saturday allegedly threatened and attacked local fishermen fishing near Katchatheevu, a senior functionary of a fishermen association said.

About 100 boats went for fishing this morning but Lankan Naval personnel allegedly started attacking the fishermen by throwing stones and warned them against fishing in Lankan waters, T Sesuraja, Rameswaram fishermen association president, said.

As a result they returned without fishing, he said.

On Friday, seven fishermen from a coastal village in Nagapattinam district were arrested by Lankan navy while fishing near Kodiyakari.

The series of arrests of fishermen had led chief minister Jayalalithaa to write to Prime Minister Narendra Modi, seeking immediate release of the fishermen.

Jayalalithaa had renewed her plea for nullifying the "unconstitutional" India-Sri Lankan agreements of 1974 and 1976 and demanded that steps be taken to restore the traditional rights of Indian fishermen.

Sri Lankan navy threatens, attacks TN fishermen - The Times of India

~~~~~~

What the eff is going on?

This is a high time that, we tell Lankans to behave like a good neighbour and be in their limits.

In this context, I agree with Jayalalitha, Modi govt should support her. India should take back Katchatheevu which is our land and take military action against Lankan Navy.

kseeker

Retired
BTW, Where are our coast guards? Where is Indian Navy? Aren't they supposed to watch and protect our marine territory?

HeinzGud

Country flag
This is a high time that, we tell Lankans to behave like a good neighbour and be in their limits.
So who is staying with in their limits? SLN or Indian fishermen? First of all teach your fishermen to respect IMBL.

HeinzGud

Country flag
BTW, Where are our coast guards? Where is Indian Navy? Aren't they supposed to watch and protect our marine territory?
http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/foreign-relations/50184-indian-fishermen-do-cross-into-sri-lanka-indian-coast-guard.html

Describing it as a long pending problem, he said the fishermen not only cross the IMBL, while setting out for fishing, but reach very close to the Lankan coast.

"We will not keep quiet if Lankan fishermen or fishermen from Pakistan crossed the line and fish near our coast," he said.

The fishermen, who were equipped with GPS, know fully well their location of fishing, but they were wilfully crossing the border, taking a risk. When the Coast guard vessel, stop them at the IMBL, they take a deviation to get into the Lankan waters.

"After crossing the IMBL, they even used to wave at us as we cannot chase at them across the IMBL," the Commanding Officer said.

On charges levelled by the fishermen that the Indian Navy and Coast Guard do not come to their rescue when they were attacked by the Sri Lankan Navy, he said "I can't help when they are in other's territory. I can protect them only if they are in my territory," he said.

ITBP

I think Palk Stait should be opened to both Indian and SL fisherman completely. It should be a free zone. Only it can solve the dispute.

HeinzGud

Country flag
I think Palk Stait should be opened to both Indian and SL fisherman completely. It should be a free zone. Only it can solve the dispute.
Better SL should give the entire Palk strait to India to fish.

Banda

I think good neighbours do NOT steal what belong to others!

Banda

if you have limited resources, limit your fishermen!

amoy

SL shall grant more fishing quotas to 3rd-country trawlers, be it Japanese, Chinese or Norwegian, for more revenue as well as curbing illegal poaching.

Franchised fishermen would hate those unsolicited fishing activities across the IMBL as unfair competition .

ladder

Country flag
SL shall grant more fishing quotas to 3rd-country trawlers, be it Japanese, Chinese or Norwegian, for more revenue as well as curbing illegal poaching.

Franchised fishermen would hate those unsolicited fishing activities across the IMBL as unfair competition .

Isn't that is what is absent in SCS?

But how is it possible to put fences in SCS? Doesn't it sound useless to put a fence and where to place it when China is claiming whole plot of the neighbor. Isn't it?

amoy

Isn't that is what is absent in SCS?

But how is it possible to put fences in SCS? Doesn't it sound useless to put a fence and where to place it when China is claiming whole plot of the neighbor. Isn't it?
too bad u digress from the subject in hand i.e. Indian fishermen crossing the IMBL recognized by both countries. SCS arguments can't help your case!

Sent from my 5910 using Tapatalk 2

ladder

Country flag
too bad u digress from the subject in hand i.e. Indian fishermen crossing the IMBL recognized by both countries. SCS arguments can't help your case!

Too bad, you didn't get the gist of this thread and my reply.

Not unexpected, or is it?

Sri Lankan naval personnel on Saturday allegedly threatened and attacked ] local fishermen fishing near Katchatheevu, a senior functionary of a fishermen association said.
About 100 boats went for fishing this morning but Lankan Naval personnel allegedly started attacking the fishermen by throwing stones and warned them against fishing in Lankan waters, T Sesuraja, Rameswaram fishermen association president, said.

The contentious portions are highlighted for pea brained poster.

IMBL is properly demarcated and the Coast Guard has issued a statements, which is posted here by Heinz Gud.

But, the proverb you quoted is universal as is the right of govt. to give 3rd party licenses for fishing in it's water. If it is good for SL so is Vietnam.

But, what is territorial waters or EEZ of Vietnam? aren't that being claimed by China as with other countries in SCS?

Isn't the proverb ' what is good for the goose is good for gander' or may be better.

For a person using a proverb, would know that it applies to them also.

ladder

Country flag

Too bad, you didn't get the gist of this thread and my reply.

Not unexpected, or is it?

Sri Lankan naval personnel on Saturday allegedly threatened and attacked ] local fishermen fishing near Katchatheevu, a senior functionary of a fishermen association said.
The contentious portions are highlighted for pea brained poster.

IMBL is properly demarcated and the Coast Guard has issued a statements, which is posted here by Heinz Gud.

But, the proverb you quoted is universal as is the right of govt. to give 3rd party licenses for fishing in it's water. If it is good for SL so is Vietnam.

But, what is territorial waters or EEZ of Vietnam? aren't that being claimed by China as with other countries in SCS?

Isn't the proverb ' what is good for the goose is good for gander' or may be better.

For a person using a proverb, would know that it applies to them also.

Last edited:

amoy

@ladder as reported Indians were "very close to Lankan coast". what do u expect SLCG or SLN to respond to such intrusions? invite them aboard to have a cup of tea or just shoot? throwing stones was quite a refrained warning IMO.

VN can certainly issue fishing licences so long as they're able to enforce.

as for proverbs goose or gander, u r free to apply them but do lambast in relevant threads. there're already countless SCS posts only a few clicks away from pea brains.

Last edited by a moderator:

ladder

Country flag
@ladder as reported Indians were "very close to Lankan coast". what do u expect SLCG or SLN to respond to such intrusions? invite them aboard to have a cup of tea or just shoot? throwing stones was quite a refrained warning IMO.

VN can certainly issue fishing licences so long as they're able to enforce.

as for proverbs goose or gander, u r free to apply them but do lambast in relevant threads. there're already countless SCS posts only a few clicks away from pea brains.

Oh I see, when some one comes near to china's shores, your Navy/CG pelt stones at them? do they beat them with leather belts? or arrest them?

WoW,
throwing stones was quite a refrained warning IMO.
very good tactics, I hope they didn't learn from joint trainings from Chinese Navy.

But, I suggest you to write, new maritime law book for world navies.

And what do you suggest
just shoot
at unarmed? WoW! also write a book on ROE at sea.

and intrusion? Do please define what is maritime intrusion?

Unlike Chinese fisherman, Indian fisherman don't carry arms in boat.

But, then again which fisherman harass other CGs, Chinese? you get 100 points for right answer.

But, then again we can enforce, fishing licensees in SL territorial water, if we turn blind to international convention like China has. Might may be right for China but not for us.

So, pea brained only advise others without looking at oneself. Look at your self. But don't be afraid of your naked self.

Last edited by a moderator:

Banda

Oh I see, when some one comes near to china's shores, your Navy/CG pelt stones at them? do they beat them with leather belts? or arrest them?

WoW,

very good tactics, I hope they didn't learn from joint trainings from Chinese Navy.

But, I suggest you to write, new maritime law book for world navies.

And what do you suggest at unarmed? WoW! also write a book on ROE at sea.

and intrusion? Do please define what is maritime intrusion?

Unlike Chinese fisherman, Indian fisherman don't carry arms in boat.

But, then again which fisherman harass other CGs, Chinese? you get 100 points for right answer.

But, then again we can enforce, fishing licensees in SL territorial water, if we turn blind to international convention like China has. Might may be right for China but not for us. So, pea brained only advise others without looking at oneself. Look at your self. But don't be afraid of your naked self.
India still steal SL's resource even without a license

amoy

With the whole world eyeing IOR SL will be better equipped to defend her maritime interests!

Sri Lanka : Japan considers providing patrol ships to Sri Lanka

Aug 24, Colombo: The Japanese government is considering providing patrol ships to Sri Lanka to help strengthen its maritime surveillance capabilities, Kyodo News Service citing a Japanese government source said Sunday.

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe is expected to convey the plan to Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa when he visits the country in early September, the source said.

Tokyo expects the move to help improve sea lane security in the Indian Ocean where tankers transporting oil from the Middle East to Japan travel, according to the source.

It also comes at a time when China is giving support to Sri Lanka and other countries in South Asia in an apparent bid to expand its reach into the Indian Ocean.

Australia recently gifted two Bay Class patrol boats to help Sri Lanka combat human smuggling.

Tokyo will decide how many ships to provide after Abe's visit, the source said. Officials from the two countries will hold talks to decide whether Japan will build new ships for Sri Lanka or provide Japan Coast Guard patrol vessels already in use.

The Japanese government is considering giving loans to Sri Lanka for the ship purchase, the source said.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles