Sri Lanka to claim Andamans' continental shelf

Discussion in 'Subcontinent & Central Asia' started by Pintu, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Pintu

Pintu New Member

This news is worrisome...

3. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

"He said that Sri Lanka’s submission is likely to be taken up for consideration by the Commission around 2025."

Nothing worrisome, each maritime nation is granted EEZ in the waters around its coast.

4. EnlightenedMonk

EnlightenedMonk Member of The Month JULY 2009 Senior Member

Hahahaha.... small country, huge sea area.... Wasn't Pakistan also given an extension of sea area a few months ago?

5. Pintu

Pintu New Member

Ok, but in my opinion the Huge area they are going to claim , this is worrisome to me , also they have decided to discuss with India before laying their claim to UN. Their claim on Andamans would be rejected by us out right, and what happen if they insist on its inclusion. I am inviting your views.

regards

6. EnlightenedMonk

I doubt whether they have any legal right to claim the Andaman and Nicobar islands. I have my doubts whether their claims for such a huge EEZ will also be entertained by the UN.

By 2025 India will be a major player in the world stage and Sri Lanka will surely think twice before pissing us off (even if China backs him tacitly).

7. EnlightenedMonk

And, I don't think it would be very difficult for us to demand an increase of our own EEZ to encapsulate Sri Lanka totally...

8. johnee

johnee Elite Member Elite Member

If Sri Lanka merges with Andaman, then Sri Lanka becomes a part of Indian Union. But will the Indian Union agree to such a merger?

ganesh177 likes this.
  9. Singh

Andamans will obv not come under Sri Lanka but Sri Lanka is hoping to get exclusive rights to the waters around Andaman and Nicobar Islands

10. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Lol!!! All these claims are really funny. Does SL expect India to hand over its Natural aircraft Carrier overlooking the Mallaccas?

11. Singh

^LOL. You will have to wait 16 years to say I told you so.

12. MMuthu

MMuthu Regular Member

Ok, We can give them Andaman, We can take over the whole Sri Lanka..... I hope LTTE had gave enough Blood smell to them....... I don't think they will become more serious on this... If they become they are digging their own grave.

13. sky

sky Regular Member

If they can claim andaman could india not claim sri lanka in the same way,by saying it's either close to india or it close to the andaman island's.Have they been speaking to china on how to piss india off,or may be pakistan?

14. Arjak

Arjak Respected Member

Its obvious that this bold step by SL is backed by a certain china.......this way India wud have land disputes with almost all of its neighbours thus unable to concentrate on any single issue properly with the dimension being diversified then.........this is really worrisome.

15. StealthSniper

StealthSniper Senior Member Senior Member

I think it was mentioned by a well known military analyst that the Chinese want India "occupied" in it's own backyard. What this means is that while India is dealing with Pakistan and other countries in it's surrounding areas, China will somewhat contain India while it can grow and gain influence in different areas. I don't know if China has gotten into Sri Lanka's head, but this seems like another Chinese strategy.

The Andaman and Nicobar Islands is now and in the future going to be more prominant and useful for India against China, and China knows this.

16. ZOOM

ZOOM Founding Member

Even if SL manage to achieve it's legtimate right about seabed area then how does it will going to ensure security of the same, because it's navy is nothing but a coast guard?

17. bengalraider

bengalraider DFI Technocrat Stars and Ambassadors

in a fast food joint next to the imperial shipyard
    Sri Lanka would not claim the islands themselves but only the waters that surround them?
    This logic makes no sense as the waters that surround the islands are also part and package of the territorial waters of the union of India i.e they are Indian waters!

18. thakur_ritesh

thakur_ritesh Administrator Administrator

well it’s a little difficult to ascertain the authenticity of this article, tried doing a google search and well the only news site carrying this piece of news is the one posted above, and if true it is hard to believe the above has not been picked up by our news portals especially times now, which would have never missed a chance on such kind of news.

that said, though the claims made seem to be absolute exaggeration, what the SL govt could be pointing out would be the increase in the EEZ which has nothing to do with territorial claims but with their influence in the waters surrounding their territory and here again if i am not mistaken there is an upper limit to what extent these waters can be claimed which requires a stamp of approval from the un, and even after these claims were to be approved, these waters would certainly not take them to anywhere near to andaman where india would have its own EEZ which if am not mistaken gets stretched to 250nm.

a similar move was initiated where in the pakistan was attempting to increase their EEZ from the present 250nm to 350nm (if i recall the figures correctly) and then it was being said the decision was to be expected with in a week’s time, but since nothing has appeared and it seems that very move got torpedoed covertly through back door channels, with india not uttering even a single word out in the open public domain.

for the moment i will leave the news as a mere speculation, even the exact words of the foreign minister have not been quoted.

19. Pintu

Pintu New Member

It seemed uncanny to me ritesh , avoidance of it publishing by our newspapers , though same appeared in the statesman on its edition of yesterday . I have searched for the web edition of the Statesman report but unsuccessfully , may be the site is down now , I think.

Here from Sunday Times in Lanka.

20. thakur_ritesh

thakur_ritesh Administrator Administrator

thanks for the pintu, was really informative. any news on what is the status of the claims made by the pakistanis, would be great if you could post an update on it.

21. tarunraju

tarunraju Moderator Moderator

And India's erosion continues. :swtf:

What does it take to have competent government that aggressively defends our strategic interests?

Let's hope SL doesn't use this as a bargaining chip for a Naval base.