Sikh man wins turban case against France in UN

ejazr

Ambassador
http://www.firstpost.com/fwire/sikh-man-wins-turban-case-against-france-in-un-181083.html

The UN's rights body has concluded that France violated the religious freedom of a 76-year-old Sikh man when he was asked to remove his turban for his ID photograph, a US-based Sikh group has said. United Sikh, a Sikh rights body, had filed a communication on behalf of Ranjit Singh to the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) in December 2008. Singh, despite his ill-health, has had no access to the public health-care system or to social benefits since 2005 because his residence card was refused due to his refusal to remove his turban.

In a statement, United Sikh said that the UNHRC observed that "even if the obligation to remove the turban for the identity photograph might be described as a one-time requirement, it would potentially interfere with the author's (Ranjit Singh's) freedom of religion on a continuing basis because he would always appear without his religious head covering in the identity photograph and could therefore be compelled to remove his turban during identity checks."

According to United Sikhs, the UN rights body said that France had failed to explain how the Sikh turban hindered identification since the wearer's face would be visible and he would be wearing the turban at all times, therefore, the regulation constituted a violation of article 18 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR), which was entered into force for France on 4 February 1981. "I had faith that truth and justice would prevail and I patiently waited for this day. I pray that France will now fulfill its obligation and grant me a residence card bearing my photo without baring my head," said Singh.

Mejindarpal Kaur, United Sikhs legal director, said they were heartened by the UNHRC's observations that France is under an obligation to provide Ranjit Singh with an effective remedy, including a reconsideration of his application for a renewal of his residence permit and a review of the relevant legislative framework and its application in practice. "France, the Committee noted, is also under an obligation to take steps to prevent similar violations in the future," she said. "We now look to France to fulfil its treaty obligations under International law and its moral duty to ensure that the freedom of religion and belief is upheld for everyone who lives within its territory," she added.

Nagraj

How exactly do you fight a case in UN???:shocked:
does UN has authority over nations??????

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Nothing found for Fwire Sikh-man-wins-turban-case-against-france-in-un-181083

The UN's rights body has concluded that France violated the religious freedom of a 76-year-old Sikh man when he was asked to remove his turban for his ID photograph, a US-based Sikh group has said. United Sikh, a Sikh rights body, had filed a communication on behalf of Ranjit Singh to the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) in December 2008. Singh, despite his ill-health, has had no access to the public health-care system or to social benefits since 2005 because his residence card was refused due to his refusal to remove his turban.

In a statement, United Sikh said that the UNHRC observed that "even if the obligation to remove the turban for the identity photograph might be described as a one-time requirement, it would potentially interfere with the author's (Ranjit Singh's) freedom of religion on a continuing basis because he would always appear without his religious head covering in the identity photograph and could therefore be compelled to remove his turban during identity checks."

According to United Sikhs, the UN rights body said that France had failed to explain how the Sikh turban hindered identification since the wearer's face would be visible and he would be wearing the turban at all times, therefore, the regulation constituted a violation of article 18 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR), which was entered into force for France on 4 February 1981. "I had faith that truth and justice would prevail and I patiently waited for this day. I pray that France will now fulfill its obligation and grant me a residence card bearing my photo without baring my head," said Singh.

Mejindarpal Kaur, United Sikhs legal director, said they were heartened by the UNHRC's observations that France is under an obligation to provide Ranjit Singh with an effective remedy, including a reconsideration of his application for a renewal of his residence permit and a review of the relevant legislative framework and its application in practice. "France, the Committee noted, is also under an obligation to take steps to prevent similar violations in the future," she said. "We now look to France to fulfil its treaty obligations under International law and its moral duty to ensure that the freedom of religion and belief is upheld for everyone who lives within its territory," she added.
A win for the Sikh community who are often discriminated and wrongly taken as some Arab in foreign countries.

Blackwater

Well all i can say. Follow the law where u live or go back to India. simple:cool2::cool2:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
A Sikh is called a Sikh and mostly a Sikh gentleman.

It is the first time I heard Sik man.

Though I wonder why they call a Sikh as a 'Sikh Gentleman'.

As if they are all boisterous and rowdy! :rofl:

tiranga

Tihar Jail
Banned
Its such a height of idiocity, didnt these french idiots know that some people wear turban for religious reasons?? I mean, common, there are thousands of sikhs in britan who also wear turban, there are many more in other parts of europe, even we Indians know what italians and french usually, how the heck they didnt know that??

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
How exactly do you fight a case in UN???:shocked:
does UN has authority over nations??????
You fight it in the ICJ which is the UN's high court. This went to the human rights council which has no enforcement powers. It is a joke when many of its members are the worst human rights abusers.

amitkriit

Its such a height of idiocity, didnt these french idiots know that some people wear turban for religious reasons?? I mean, common, there are thousands of sikhs in britan who also wear turban, there are many more in other parts of europe, even we Indians know what italians and french usually, how the heck they didnt know that??
France has banned the display of religious symbols in public and it effects all religious groups, they aren't idiots just because they hurt ego or religious sentiments of some people. France is their country and they have the right to impose their way of life.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
You fight it in the ICJ which is the UN's high court. This went to the human rights council which has no enforcement powers. It is a joke when many of its members are the worst human rights abusers.

Human rights is now bought over by oil money. Ignore those lunatics. It is your country and you have the right to impose your laws.

ganesh177

Country flag
All these fights for turbans or whatever does not really present a matured image for indians abroad. It hurts the image for others as well. Learn to respect the rules of other nations and there sentiments when you are there, or just leave.

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
Well all i can say. Follow the law where u live or go back to India. simple:cool2::cool2:
It seems France is the exclusive country where they have issues with dress codes of different ethnic minorities in their country. She is always at forefront to implement new dress codes on citizens who were allowed to settle or given immigration knowing well about their dress codes.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles