Sartaj Aziz spoke to India’s media, our ministers made no effort

Raja.pakistani

Tihar Jail
Banned
  • Karan Thapar
    |
  • Updated: Aug 30, 2015 01:39 IST

A file photo of Sartaj Aziz, the key adviser on foreign policy to Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif. (AFP Photo)
I’m going to do something that could take many of you by surprise but, possibly, offend some as well. It certainly goes against the grain of the present atmosphere in the country. It’s also not what you expect of an Indian journalist when he writes about a Pakistani politician. But that said and done I can’t resist what I’m about to do. So here goes.

I’m writing to praise Pakistan’s national security advisor, former finance and foreign minister, Sartaj Aziz. He has many sterling qualities which his opponents at home or his adversaries abroad would not deny: a quiet dignity, a pleasing manner, a quick intelligence and an appearance of honesty. However, the quality that took me by surprise and is the cause of my admiration is his astute handling of the press. Our politicians could learn a lot from him.

My story begins five days before the eventually aborted recent Indo-Pakistan talks. Although we had never met nor even spoken and I was, for all intents and purposes, a complete stranger, I rang to ask for an interview. Mr Aziz readily accepted. “We’ll do it after the talks are over and before I leave. The High Commission will give you the precise time.”

The High Commission, however, never called so on Saturday, the day before his scheduled arrival, I rang Mr Aziz again. This time he chortled, as if we were old friends. “Of course, I haven’t forgotten but am I coming to India?” Then, before I could reply, he added: “Don’t worry, if I do I’ll definitely give you an interview.” I believed him. A journalist knows when a politician isn’t fibbing!

However, in the end the talks got cancelled and Mr Aziz didn’t come. So on Sunday morning I rang to ask if he would do the interview by satellite. I thought he would jump at it but this time he didn’t immediately accept. I could tell he was considering whether this would be the right thing to do. The conversation lasted 10 minutes but when he asked “What time tomorrow?” I knew he had agreed.

Mr Aziz gave me 40 minutes. He sat down in front of the camera bang on time and answered whatever questions I put to him. The tension of the preceding days didn’t affect his manner or his tone even though it was clearly discernible from his answers.

The important point I want to make is that a top Pakistani politician was willing to give interviews to the Indian media, even after the climactic denouement 48 hours earlier when the talks collapsed amidst acrimony and bitterness. Would an Indian politician have agreed to speak to the Pakistani media in similar circumstances? As far as I know, that’s never happened.

Mr Aziz defended Pakistan’s position with cogent arguments, a mastery of detail and appeals to the practice of the past or the logic of the present situation. You might not have agreed with him — and I often didn’t — but what was undeniable and, consequently, impressive is he was willing to be questioned, answered unhesitatingly and, therefore, did what democrats should do: explain, persuade, and try to convince.

A week has passed but not a single member of Mr Modi’s government has spoken to us about the collapsed talks. Our ministers have felt no need to explain, leave aside justify — and forget all about the thought of answering critics. Yet a Pakistani minister did just this.

I believe that contrast speaks for itself.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/karan...inisters-made-no-effort/article1-1385589.aspx

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
  • Karan Thapar
    |

A file photo of Sartaj Aziz, the key adviser on foreign policy to Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif. (AFP Photo)
I’m going to do something that could take many of you by surprise but, possibly, offend some as well. It certainly goes against the grain of the present atmosphere in the country. It’s also not what you expect of an Indian journalist when he writes about a Pakistani politician. But that said and done I can’t resist what I’m about to do. So here goes.

I’m writing to praise Pakistan’s national security advisor, former finance and foreign minister, Sartaj Aziz. He has many sterling qualities which his opponents at home or his adversaries abroad would not deny: a quiet dignity, a pleasing manner, a quick intelligence and an appearance of honesty. However, the quality that took me by surprise and is the cause of my admiration is his astute handling of the press. Our politicians could learn a lot from him.

My story begins five days before the eventually aborted recent Indo-Pakistan talks. Although we had never met nor even spoken and I was, for all intents and purposes, a complete stranger, I rang to ask for an interview. Mr Aziz readily accepted. “We’ll do it after the talks are over and before I leave. The High Commission will give you the precise time.”

The High Commission, however, never called so on Saturday, the day before his scheduled arrival, I rang Mr Aziz again. This time he chortled, as if we were old friends. “Of course, I haven’t forgotten but am I coming to India?” Then, before I could reply, he added: “Don’t worry, if I do I’ll definitely give you an interview.” I believed him. A journalist knows when a politician isn’t fibbing!

However, in the end the talks got cancelled and Mr Aziz didn’t come. So on Sunday morning I rang to ask if he would do the interview by satellite. I thought he would jump at it but this time he didn’t immediately accept. I could tell he was considering whether this would be the right thing to do. The conversation lasted 10 minutes but when he asked “What time tomorrow?” I knew he had agreed.

Mr Aziz gave me 40 minutes. He sat down in front of the camera bang on time and answered whatever questions I put to him. The tension of the preceding days didn’t affect his manner or his tone even though it was clearly discernible from his answers.

The important point I want to make is that a top Pakistani politician was willing to give interviews to the Indian media, even after the climactic denouement 48 hours earlier when the talks collapsed amidst acrimony and bitterness. Would an Indian politician have agreed to speak to the Pakistani media in similar circumstances? As far as I know, that’s never happened.

Mr Aziz defended Pakistan’s position with cogent arguments, a mastery of detail and appeals to the practice of the past or the logic of the present situation. You might not have agreed with him — and I often didn’t — but what was undeniable and, consequently, impressive is he was willing to be questioned, answered unhesitatingly and, therefore, did what democrats should do: explain, persuade, and try to convince.

A week has passed but not a single member of Mr Modi’s government has spoken to us about the collapsed talks. Our ministers have felt no need to explain, leave aside justify — and forget all about the thought of answering critics. Yet a Pakistani minister did just this.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/karan...inisters-made-no-effort/article1-1385589.aspx
Hahahahahahhahahahahhahaha :lol:
That Mr. Thapar is your worth. You are worth only during election time when politicians need to be "out there". Apart from that, you are worth $hit. You ( and I mean the whole media-eco system) are liars, cheats, spin masters and Hindu-haters.
You deserve to be with Pakistanis and inside Pakistan. Here is your chaddhi being tightened :
Purani aadat hai tumhari and other presstitutes know that as well

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Pakis are not replying to the real threads where their chaddis are pulled down.They didnt reply on Veena Malik posts.

They are just doing their Paki version of 50-cent but getting their own chaddis pulled down like we did to Veena Malik the nice sexy Islamic Paki girl who got banged by even spot boys.

See here no reply so far --> Pak Media: All Pakistan's former friends are now enemies due to Indian political leadership

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
Pakis are not replying to the real threads where their chaddis are pulled down.They didnt reply on Veena Malik posts.

They are just doing their Paki version of 50-cent.

See here no reply so far --> Pak Media: All Pakistan's former friends are now enemies due to Indian political leadership
My reply as you see rock ji, is intended for any presstitute and aadarsh liberal that stumbles on this page.
Pakis are not on my bucket list.

Raja.pakistani

Tihar Jail
Banned
My reply as you see rock ji, is intended for any presstitute and aadarsh liberal that stumbles on this page.
Pakis are not on my bucket list.
Why you insulting him without refuting his points with counter arguments? and your rocky mate is fancy of veena that bring it in every topic ..come on tell us why you dont agree with his points?

Reactions: Neo

Blackwater

Pakistan has no foreign minister :biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
Why you insulting him without refuting his points with counter arguments? and your rocky mate is fancy of veena that bring it in every topic ..come on tell us why you dont agree with his points?
My Govt. communicates with me directly through twitter, facebook (all ministries and ministers) as well as through a forum. I can also use RTI to get any answer I want, in writing. So I don't want my govt. to waste time with morons whose only achievement is mental gymnastics in a so called "liberal arts" field.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
As I said before... don't start what you cant end.Pakis have this funny habit of running away or surrendering.

You started "chaddi" and I showed you Veena Malik the chaddi-bra-less Islamic Paki girl and you stopped replying and ran away.

btw do you accept Veena is a Paki girl or you want to disown like you do to Kasab/Naved et al? :lol:

The reason I am confronting you by Veena on all threads now.Pakis can't face the truth.

Raja.pakistani

Tihar Jail
Banned
You started "chaddi" and I showed you Veena Malik the chaddi-bra-less Islamic Paki girl and you stopped replying and ran away.

btw do you accept Veena is a Paki girl or you want to disown like you do to Kasab/Naved et al? :lol:

The reason I am confronting you by Veena on all threads now.Pakis can't face the truth.
Oh man you are really desperate for veena malik lol look at the topic and tell me how it relate to veena malik..what you want to know about veena malik? Do rakhi swant and sunny Leone represent all Indian girls?

You are behaving like 10 year old who just recently got hormone changes.. There are many prostitutes in Pakistan so what if one of them went in India for money?

Reactions: Neo

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Oh man you are really desperate for veena malik lol look at the topic and tell me how it relate to veena malik..what you want to know about veena malik? Do rakhi swant and sunny Leone represent all Indian girls?

You are behaving like 10 year old who just recently got hormone changes.. There are many prostitutes in Pakistan so what if one of them went in India for money?
Now I made you comment on Veena Malik at last.For us Veena Malik plays significant role since Paki women are really oppressed and Veena would liberate them.Those thousands of Karachi Mujra girls are no less.next time when you talk about chaddi baniyan tell Veena Malik and Mujra girls to keep their cloths on since they are watched here a lot since we like Islamic Paki Girls dancing nude. :lol:

You are behaving like a 50-cent who is on a spree of pulling up some article which is critical of India just to earn daily living.Better take few lakhs from ISI and blow yourself up or end up rotting in Indian jail to be hanged.

Now don't cry like 1 year old toddler when shown the mirror.

I_PLAY_BAD

Isn't Pakistan the purest Islamic country with no crimes, rapes and prostitutes ? Oh man it is shocking to hear it from you.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
Karan Thapar........nuff said.

bose

Country flag
@Raja.pakistani Karan Thapar, Burkha Dutt etc etc, these presstitutes are still BUTT HURT after defeat of the seculiars and corrupt congress thugs... The current government have also tightened the screws on these presstitutes and they are unable to get their so called leaks out from their sources in the government ...

One such pestitude of Tehelka is behind bar and another M***** F***** Teesta is running scared and will be behind bar very soon...

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
  • Karan Thapar
    |

What is your take on this article ?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles