Russian Victory Day Celebrations

jouni

I was taking part in Victory day celebrations in Russia with my friends. Mixed feelings: I liked how ordinary people took it as a memorial day for their lost loved ones. On march I participated were no military parade, mostly people remembering with pictures of their fallen relatives or other veterans.

Generally people did not even know that Finland was at war with Russia, people remember the Great Patriotic War as a war against nazism. Winter war is generally unknown among general public in Russia.

Bad things were that propaganda has really taken over in Russia, my view for them is really pessimistic. Towns in the arctic get poorer, they do not have money to maintain the infrastructure, not to mention to invest in new one. Still Russia spends over 35 per cent of federal budget to army and police ( In Finland under 7 per cent... ).

sgarg

@jouni, Russia has big enemies, so it has to spend more on defence.
The countries who take defence lightly end up singing to somebody else's tune. There is a price of liberty.

Your winter war is forgotten history. You cherish it as it is a big event for your country. However it is insignificant on a global scale.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
@jouni : Thread is about Russian Victory Day celebrations.
Post relevant photos, videos, info and/or history snippets, not your badly disguised attempts to derail; we have had enough of your derail attempts in several other threads.

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag

Some Awesome Photos from pre Celebration..!!!

The Modern T 14 Armanta,

and the Modern Kub ..!!

Don't ask me What happened..!!!

jouni

@jouni : Thread is about Russian Victory Day celebrations.
Post relevant photos, videos, info and/or history snippets, not your badly disguised attempts to derail; we have had enough of your derail attempts in several other threads.
What derail? I was taking part in VD parade, not in Moscow though.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Western leaders putting down an invitation to this parade come across as so petty. What's being celebrated here is a military victory in which those western countries were on the same side as the Soviets. This could have been a good opportunity to talk.

Those westerners calling this parade a flop and Putin somehow "isolated," are even bigger brainwashed morons. The presidents of both India and China attended this event, apart from 18 other leaders. A majority of the world's population was represented in the parade by their leaders' attendance.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

What derail? I was taking part in VD parade, not in Moscow though.

You went off the rails and spoke of other issues like why Russia wastes money on defence when Arctic shivers.

That is hardly a VE day issue, or is it?

Western leaders putting down an invitation to this parade come across as so petty. What's being celebrated here is a military victory in which those western countries were on the same side as the Soviets. This could have been a good opportunity to talk.

Those westerners calling this parade a flop and Putin somehow "isolated," are even bigger brainwashed morons. The presidents of both India and China attended this event, apart from 18 other leaders. A majority of the world's population was represented in the parade by their leaders' attendance.
It is but natural that western nations will whinge.

jouni

India IMHO stole the parade, your soldiers march does credit for your country. Also great uniforms. IMHO Russia was on the right league with guests: India, Eurasian countries and African countries. No need for developed countries to take part in this propaganda stunt. Merkel was handling it well by remembering the victims next day.

jouni

You went off the rails and spoke of other issues like why Russia wastes money on defence when Arctic shivers.

That is hardly a VE day issue, or is it?
Well, it was the impression I got WHEN I WAS THERE. Is it not relevant to give first hand impressions? If not, then sorry.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

India IMHO stole the parade, your soldiers march does credit for your country. Also great uniforms. IMHO Russia was on the right league with guests: India, Eurasian countries and African countries. No need for developed countries to take part in this propaganda stunt. Merkel was handling it well by remembering the victims next day.

VE day celebration is a propaganda stunt?

Since when?

According to Russian government figures USSR losses within postwar borders now stand at 26.6 million

Are you aware how many soldiers of the Commonwealth died during WWII?

In India the total death was 1,587,000 to 2,587,000.

87,000 were military deaths.

Should we not celebrate the Victory or is it an European only jamboree?

Merkel is a traitor for celebrating her country defeat that was most miserable for German pride.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
If you think you could have won WWII without Russian help, you're even more delusional than I thought.

jouni

What I mean is that Russia has turned a day that is supposed to remember the victims of war into an event to show its "power". It is right to boycot that.

jouni

If you think you could have won WWII without Russian help, you're even more delusional than I thought.
Actually my country was on the losing side ;). I give credit to Russia for defesting Nazi Germsny. The ptoblem is that Germany dealt with the past and is now one of the greatest countries. Russia has not dealt with past and is on a way to wrong direction.

pmaitra

Russia: Indian President Mukherjee congratulates Russia on V-Day anniversary

Indian military on WW2 military parade in Moscow, Russia 2015

Indian Army dazzles at Russia's Victory Day Parade

It is interesting to note that our President wore a flair of Saint George's Ribbon, the one that you can see in my avatar.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Actually my country was on the losing side ;). I give credit to Russia for defesting Nazi Germsny. The ptoblem is that Germany dealt with the past and is now one of the greatest countries. Russia has not dealt with past and is on a way to wrong direction.
The "right direction" would be submitting to the will of Washington, and exporting its resources, so the American life of excess could continue for another century? Nothxbai. The fact that Germany could do little in the wake of revelations of American spying on the Chancellor's office shows that Germany is Washington's bitch.

Are China and India (both represented by their presidents in the Moscow parade) also moving in the "wrong direction" with 8+ percent GDP growth? :p

pmaitra

Symbolic Relic?

While much attention has been showered on the T-14 Armata, it is important to note that the armour retinue was led by the venerable T-34. This is a symbolism of the might of Soviet engineering. Unlike the German PanzerKampfWagen IV, which was great on paper, but largely useless and sometimes a liability in the battlefield, the T-34 is the one that actually showed what military technology and the underlying philosophy should be like. In other words, at the time of war, ditch the BMW and go for the UAZ.

Here are some pictures of the T-34:

amoy

I might be in our mutual neighbour late June probably. Guess Finland can be seen across Lake Ladoga then. ;) Consumption in St.P could be as costly as Paris according to a local (years ago).

Such V-day celebrations, parades alike could also be a good promotion for foreign visitors, apart from memories of past ordeals and glories. Yes Germany meantime is great indeed in overcoming old woes - Auferstanden aus Ruinen.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles