Russia to build submarine-detecting satellite

Discussion in 'Europe and Russia' started by nandu, Apr 15, 2010.

1. nandu

nandu Senior Member Senior Member

Russia to build submarine-detecting satellite

Russia could build a satellite for the detection and tracking of submarines from space, a defense industry spokesman said on Thursday.

Vladimir Boldyrev, of the Kosmonit science and technology center, said the group had developed a space satellite module that could carry out remote sensing of the sea and "detect submerged submarines."

"Hopefully, it will be tested in space as early as 2011," he said, adding that work on the module started over a decade ago.

He offered no indication as to when the new satellite would enter service with the Russian Armed Forces.

Boldyrev added that the dual-use module would be used for both defense and civilian purposes, in particular, providing meteorological data.

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20100415/158597419.html

Sridhar likes this.
  3. bhramos

bhramos Elite Member Elite Member

Great news, may be India should lease or buy these Satellites from Russia.

4. pyromaniac

pyromaniac Founding Member

I wonder how this would work..its possible to detect radioactive particles that nuclear powered submarines emit by the way of scanning for gamma ray particles but I wonder how conventional subs would be detected. As far as I know, there are no detectable particles that diesel-electric powered subs emit.
    Maybe they built a satellite that could detect the air bubbles that the propellers create? It would have to be ultra sensitive to be able to pick up anything from under 500meters of water...

Anyone have any idea as to how this would work?

5. bhramos

bhramos Elite Member Elite Member

when Satelites can find minerals under the ground, may be it possible to find subs under water.
    this type of technology leads to so many scientific researches on un explored under water ocean deepths sea beds.

6. A.V.

A.V. New Member

the soviet union already had this technology earlier and even used it to counter NATO so nothing new but big development to see how it shapes up now the accuracy and the effectiveness this might also lead to china developing one i the fiture and so on ... this will lead to a race similar to the cold war