Russia, America and the New Cold War

Discussion in 'Defence & Strategic Issues' started by Ray, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

A walk down of history indicating US ascendancy as a world power and the American psyche that prompted it to do so.

The same psyche has continued and that is why it explains many imperfectness that plague the world of today.

While there is merits in what the author states and it appears alarming, yet it is one sided.

A similar exercise of the Russian psyche as to how it also wishes to contest, even though now a reduced power, would have made the article more balanced and better for understanding of the reader and permitted the reader to draw his own conclusion.

It is true that Russia is not a 'dying bear', but one struggling to get on its feet after having been shot, so to say.

3. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

4. LETHALFORCE

LETHALFORCE Moderator Moderator

This confrontatitional approach by Putin May fail miserably. USA has just signed a trade deal with
    China so their major ally may even let the russians down?

5. asianobserve

asianobserve Elite Member Elite Member

[​IMG]

The Russian empire (or whatever's left of it) is gasping for last breath... It's imperial domain is being sucked up by the West and China (well Russia's fed up neighbors are itching to jump to the West while in Central Asia they are increasingly seeing China as a better partner)...

LETHALFORCE likes this.
  6. pmaitra

Source: G20 leaders to meet in Australia under pressure to prove group’s relevance | World news | The Guardian

The writing is on the wall. The US can longer export its inflation to the rest of the world, as more countries begin to walk away from the Dollar.

7. asianobserve

Except to Russia...?

It seems that Russians can't get enough of "American inflation" since they are hording US Dollar (and ditching the Ruble)...

I must say it's a chilly alternate universe that Russophiles are living in..

8. pmaitra

Where do you get your information from?

It is the speculators who are doing this, not "the Russians."

They knew it long time back. Here is a year old report:
    Read more: Russian lawmaker wants to outlaw U.S. dollar, calls it a Ponzi scheme - Washington Times

I think Russia needs to do what India does:

Source: Business Portal of India : Doing Business Abroad : Legal Aspects : Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA)

This is what insulated India from global financial crises. A crisis in the US economy should not put Indians into misery. Russia can learn a lot from India.

9. asianobserve

The Russians are the speculators...

The state of the Russian Economy (welfare of the people) is the last on Putin's mind. He has set his eyes on greatness (more of great plunge) and the Russians must share their bit for that to happen so that they can erect statues of Putin all over Russia and its poor (and getting poorer) imperial dominions 10 years from now...

10. pmaitra

I disagree with both of your claims.

With the constant provocation from the west since 1991, Russia was bound to snap at one point. The west's interference in Ukraine signifies desperation on part of the US, because it knows it is losing grip of the world, with the rising east. Putin won't let the western plutocrats get a free for all grab at Russia's resources. Whatever happened during Yeltsin years, is history. The west is going through a process of gradual decline, PRC will emerge as a superpower, and Russia, India, Brazil will play second fiddle to PRC.

Prometheus likes this.
  11. sgarg

sgarg Senior Member Senior Member

@asianobserve, your hate for Russia clouds your judgement.

Russia has to take many actions as it has to firewall its economy from the West. Some of it requires strong action.

Russia is in a transition phase as it did not have the time for building strong institutions. Russia was in turmoil for a decade in 90s, and it is only 14-15 years since a semblance of a State has been created.

The critical point here is that Putin is able to provide security that is needed for creation of institutions.

The West is trying hard to sabotage Russia which Russia is resisting.

Talking about "Russian Empire" is silly and premature.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  12. pmaitra

The US supports the fascist Baltic regimes. The US propped up that dictator Saakashvili in Georgia. The US has been covertly grooming Nazis in Ukraine since the 90s. The UK gave shelter to Boris Berezovsky, a Russian criminal and fugitive, who also financed the Chechen terrorists. Had Russia not taken over Crimea, and helped the Ukrainians who don't want to be with NATO, the next step would have been to cut off Russia from the Black Sea, and hold its naval routes at siege.

How countries has the US directly attacked since 1991? Iraq, ex-Yugoslavia, Iraq again, Afghanistan, Libya.
    How many countries has Russia attacked since 1991? 0

This video explains everything.

Prometheus likes this.
  13. asianobserve

If Putin is really worth the adulation a lot of poor Russians and Russophiles are showering him then he should have planned for the firewalling of the Russian economy before he started shaking up the postwar foundations of Europe. But all indications points to Putin not doing his assignment. What is happening in Ukraine is the megalomania of Putin much like the megalomania of Hitler that propelled him to early military successes in Europe. Even without the safeguards to the Russian economy Putin has ploughed ahead into a sure conflict with the West. So what you're seeing now in the Russian economy is the result of the toxic mix of Putin's megalomania and incompetence and it is only bound to exacerbate.

I mean what was he thinking? He thought that the West will just sit down as he steamroll Ukraine? Between the West and Russia, there's no contest. The former is a juggernaut and the latter is just another wannabe.

Putin has been in power in Russia for so long (Medvedev was merely Putin's mascara) and all he has to show for it is skyrocketing inflation and collapsing Ruble? He is an incompetent and a dangerous megalomaniac.

Russia was enjoying a very good economy and trade relations with Europeans (who buys Russian oil and gas at much higher prices than Chinese) before Putin started to grab Crimea and rock Eastern Ukraine for his ego trip. The West then was in mood to confront Russia even if Putin was spitting them in the face.

Really? Then whose judgment is clouded?

Dark Sorrow likes this.
  14. pmaitra

@asianobserve, this is not an echo chamber. Your objective might be to create a situation the Americans find themselves in - all news channels say the same things, and they say it again and again. We don't need that here. You might have a lot of time at hand, but not everyone else does.

Putin did not grab Crimea. Crimea voted in a referendum, in front of the world's press, and joined the Russian Federation. Stop repeating fairy tales again and again.

If you don't know what a referendum means, you shouldn't be debating in English language.

15. JBH22

JBH22 Senior Member Senior Member

Such people are in favour of creating chaos and interfering into other countries matters in the name of spreading democracy using B-52 see Iraq, A-stan and Ukraine. Wherever Uncle Sam and its cronies put their hands it degenerates into a blood bath.

As regards to referendum these very people would support Kosovo referendum while denying Crimean one.

16. asianobserve

@pmaitra

If you noticed I have been very careful in crafting my post so as not to appear to be being personal (the very personal atmosphere before was simply toxic and poisons the academic atmosphere of the site). I think we should keep the discussion confined to the subject and avoid falling into the temptation of attacking the poster.

You know it was a sham affair orchestrated by Russia. Russian troops (with insignias removed) occupied Crimea and Russian agents directed and coordinated the publicity referendum.

Dark Sorrow likes this.
  17. pmaitra

For some people, bombing and slaughtering people, mainly civilians, is "spreading democracy." I wonder whether they feel the same about the al-Qaida.

18. pmaitra

I think you should avoid creating an echo chamber here. You should notice that I have carefully crafted my comment where I asked you not to create an echo chamber here. I think we should keep the discussion limited to what happened (Crimean referendum), and not what did not happen (Putin grabbed Crimea). This is not an opinion. This is a fact. Even British Brainwashing Corporation agrees to the overwhelming support for Russia amongst Crimeans. You have no case. Proof already provided, plenty. Don't ask where (I suspect, you will, so I said.).

19. asianobserve

Seven Ways a New Cold War with Russia Will Be Different | The National Interest

I do not necessarily agree that there is a cold war between the US and Russia because of factor #1 above. But the article does present some interesting insight into the current state of affairs between the US and Russia (which is to me synonymous with "Putin").

20. sgarg

@asianobserve, the people who are watching Russia and Ukraine since early nineties very much expected the kind of conflict that is occurring today.

Nothing happened suddenly.

I have said this before and I say it again the Ukrainian events have caught Russians by surprise. These events were expected but the timing was unexpected.

Yes I agree that Russian side was unprepared.

This is the story of conflicts. Normally one side is prepared and springs a surprise on the other.

I agree that Russia has taken a huge loss due to its lack of preparation.

We shall see how the conflict progresses. My view is that the West has started to lose despite its initial spectacular success. The reason is West is relying more on hyperbole rather that action on the ground.

21. sgarg

The asymmetry between Russia and West will count for little if Western strategic objectives fail in Ukraine.
    The chances of a Western failure are very high in Ukraine due to sharp division in Ukrainian society. This makes imposition of the will of a particular party very difficult.