Resolution on religious freedom in Gujarat introduced in US house

KS

Bye bye DFI
If the Indian Govt has one bit shame left in it, it should condemn this unwarranted interference in Indian internal affairs in the strongest possible terms. But will they ? 100 bucks they wont. Instead tomorrow Abhishek gnaja singhvi or Renuka will bray infront of media that US has did so and so and thus secularism is lost yada yada yada..

ps.: Indian -American Muslim council..? they better drop the 'Indian' prefix from their org's name. Taking up these things inside India is one thing, but outside India,,in a foreign country..? Will not reputation of India be affected...ch******s.

US House brings resolution on religious freedom in Gujarat - India News - IBNLive

Washington: A Congressional resolution urging Gujarat government to restore religious freedom in the state has been introduced in the US House of Representatives on the occasion of the 10th anniversary of communal riots. The non-binding resolution (H Res 569) "recognising the 10th anniversary of the tragic communal violence in Gujarat" was introduced in the House of Representatives by Congressman Keith Ellison, early this week.

Unlike most of such resolutions, it has no co-sponsors. The resolution has been sent to the House Foreign Affairs Committee for necessary action.Recognising the suffering of the people affected by the 2002 violence in Gujarat, including those who lost their lives in the Godhra train fire, the resolution shares the opinion of the US Department of State that the Gujarat government has not adequately pursued justice for the victims of the 2002 violence.

Expressing concern over reports from journalists and human rights groups about alleged complicity of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi in the 2002 violence; the resolution commends the US Government for denying a visa to Modi in 2005 on the grounds of a religious freedom violation under the International Religious Freedom Act of 1998.

The Indian American Muslim Council (IAMC), in a statement welcomed the introduction of the Congressional resolution. "Congressman Ellison's resolution is an important effort to memorialise all those who were killed in the horrific sectarian violence of Gujarat in 2002," said Shaheen Khateeb, IAMC president.

"It is an opportunity to renew our pledge to continue the struggle for justice and reparation for the victims and to combat the discrimination and the economic hardships that plague minorities in Gujarat," he added.

In a statement, IAMC urged Indian American community to call upon their local Congressional representatives and urge them to become a co-sponsor of the House Resolution.

KS

Bye bye DFI
And shame on media like IBNLive , Undie TV which give maximum coverage to such incidents even after 10 years but did not report the news where 42 children were rescued from a church-run orphanage which abused them sexually and physically...

Last edited:

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Who is US to interfere in our internal affairs ?? India must react strongly !! what if we do the same against US?

balai_c

Religious freedom,like human rights is a tool of political interference in foreign (especially 3rd world non-abrahamic) countries. A veritable cat's paw. Religious Freedom is pretty big these days in US. We should be pointing out lack of freedom in western countries, such as Italy, where Hinduism along with Buddhism is not even a recognized religion. Hindus are routinely harassed and denigrated as "monkey brain eaters", hate crimes against temples occur occationally in many western countries (particularly in Eastern Europe). But then again, whom am I talking to? Complaining would require self respect and firm faith in ones identity, some many Anglo-phone Indians lack.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Lets see what the secular(parden me but to my eyes many here are suckular and not secular) brigade here has to say to this....????

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
When they speak about these non senses it makes my blood boil.... No religious freedom in India... WTF... Hindus the supposed harassing majority is falling in the demography like flies.... Many supposed seculars of the Abrahamic faiths are involved in forced and underhanded converting of the Hindus into their faiths... And people voicing against them(RSS,VHP) are labelled communals by the so called INTELLECTUAL brigade....:mad::mad:...

These pigs wont stop until their actions bring about the rise of ultra-nationalism here(which is evidently on the rise) which starts to screw them for real... Karma is a such a bitch....

Oracle

US congressman's resolution on Gujarat riots hailed

Muslim and secular organisations in the United States have hailed a congressional resolution by Minnesota Congressman Keith Ellison (Democrat) 'recognising the tenth anniversary of the tragic communal violence in Gujarat'.

Rep Ellison is a convert to Islam from Catholicism. The nonbinding resolution, which has no co-sponsors, has been sent to the House Foreign Affairs Committee.

The resolution quoted the International Religious Freedom Report of 2003, which said that the United States Department of State found that 'in Gujarat, the worst religious violence directed against Muslims by Hindus took place in February and March 2002, leaving an estimated 2,000 dead and 100,000 displaced into refugee camps. It was alleged widely that the police and state government did little to stop the violence promptly, and at times even encouraged or assisted Hindus involved in the riots. Despite substantial evidentiary material, the judicial commission responsible for investigating the riots reported inconclusive findings. No Hindus have been charged for the violence.'

The resolution noted that minorities in Gujarat continue to experience religious and socio-economic discrimination.

The resolution sought to recognise the suffering of all those persons who were affected by the 2002 violence in Gujarat, including those who lost their lives in the Godhra train fire.

It shared the opinion of the United States Department of State that the Gujarat government has not adequately pursued justice for the victims of the 2002 violence.

It remains concerned by reports from journalists and human rights groups about the complicity of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi [ Images ] in the 2002 violence.

It also commended the United States government for denying a visa to Modi in 2005 on the grounds of a religious freedom violation under the International Religious Freedom Act of 1998.

While applauding the Department of State and the United States Commission on International Religious Freedom for their monitoring of religious freedom in India [ Images ] and throughout the world, it saluted the role of Indian police officers who, despite personal risk, provided honest testimony about the violence in Gujarat and also supported the role of independent media in India that continue to highlight the Gujarat issue.

The resolution also appreciated the role of the National Human Rights Commission and the Indian Supreme Court, which has led to some convictions in Gujarat riot cases, and also the arrest of a few high-level leaders in the Modi administration.

It called on the Gujarat government to heed the recommendations of the State Department to restore religious freedom for all citizens in Gujarat.

Rediff

Tolaha

Simply put... Its none of their business.

There are a huge list of items including the Gujarat riots that shouldn't have happened in independent India. But however bad our justice delivery system is, its something that we need to fix it ourselves.

US does keep doing things to countries around the world. Just to remind others who the boss is! It would be the equivalent of Indian Parliament passing resolutions against US in support of Red Indians, Mexico, British Indian Ocean territories, Africans before the 60s, Muslims after 9/11 etc. Silly IMO!

Thinking about it again... I would like to remove British Indian Ocean territories from the above list. Indian Parliament ought to pass a resolution on that expressing regret for the way indigenous folks have been treated. Its far more relevant to India than the rest!

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Ask them to F off...... We are not the Whoristan to pass resolutions on us...

Blackwater

These are private resolution they got no value. Tomorrow, any senator can introduce private resolution on,, why ammerican men wear pink chaaadis....

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Controversy is his second name.

Farrakhan and Nation of Islam ties

While a law student in 1989 and 1990, Ellison wrote several columns as Keith E. Hakim in the student newspaper, the Minnesota Daily. In the articles, he defended Louis Farrakhan against accusations of antisemitism, and suggested that affirmative action served as a "sneaky" way of paying reparations to African Americans for slavery.[68][69][70] In another article, he purportedly suggested the creation of a separate state for black residents.[71][72]

In 1997, when Joanne Jackson, executive director of the Minneapolis Initiative Against Racism (MIAR), allegedly said that, "Jews are among the most racist white people", Ellison, using his religious name Mohammed, read a statement supporting her on behalf of the The Minneapolis-St. Paul Study Group of the Nations of Islam.[69][73] Ellison later suggested that he used the controversy to "[speak] out in favor of increased dialogue between the Jewish and African-American communities." In 1998, during his Minnesota State Legislature House campaign, Ellison asserted that he "rejected anti-Jewish attitudes".[74]

Questions about Ellison's involvement with the Nation of Islam arose during his 2006 campaign. After winning the Democratic party nomination in May, he wrote a letter to the local Jewish Community Relations Council where he reportedly "asserted that his involvement with the Nation of Islam had been limited to an 18-month period around the time of the Million Man March in 1995, that he had been unfamiliar with the Nation of Islam's anti-Semitic views during his involvement with the group, and that he himself had never expressed such views."[69][75] He also stated that he was never a member of the Nation of Islam, but only worked with it to organize the Minnesota contingent to the Million Man March,[68][69] and has insisted he is a Sunni Muslim.[76][77]

In Ellison's letter, he denounced the Nation of Islam and Farrakhan, writing "I wrongly dismissed concerns that they [Farrakhan's remarks] were anti-Semitic. They were and are anti-Semitic and I should have come to that conclusion earlier than I did."[78] He explained his previous views, saying that he, "did not adequately scrutinize the positions and statements of the Nation of Islam, Louis Farrakhan, and Khalid Muhammed." He also stated that "any kind of discrimination and hate are wrong. This has always been my position".

CAIR campaign contributions

During the 2006 election Nihad Awad, executive director of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) and James Yee, the former Muslim chaplain at Guantanamo Bay, spoke at an August 25 fundraiser for Ellison.[68][79] According to the Minneapolis Star Tribune Ellison accepted thousands of dollars from Nihad Awad and another leader of CAIR; Ellison responded that he had fully disclosed all contributions and asserted that he had "nothing to hide".[80] Ellison stressed that he was supported by individuals, and that the organization CAIR itself did not endorse him.[81] His Republican opponent in the race, Alan Fine, criticized Ellison for accepting these contributions. Fine said that CAIR was "a group that Democrats say has deep ties to terrorism".[82] The Fine campaign quoted Sens. Charles Schumer (D-NY) and Dick Durbin (D-IL) alleging CAIR's "ties to terrorism" and "its association with groups that are suspect." Many conservatives and Jewish groups claim CAIR is rooted in the Hamas movement and that its leaders also secretly support Hezbollah in Lebanon. Fine went so far as to say "CAIR is to Muslims as the Ku Klux Klan is to Christians."[83] During the 2006 election Independence Party candidate Tammy Lee also accused CAIR of having secret ties to Hamas.[84] CAIR director Nihad Awad has known Ellison since they both attended the University of Minnesota.[6][83]

In response to Ellison's opponents, CAIR leaders Parvez Ahmed and Nihad Awad wrote "We are proud of our personal donations to Ellison's campaign" and derided any 'guilt by association' arguments.[85] During this time the "Not in the Name of Islam" paid advertisement began appearing on Minnesota television channels for the first time, with Communications Director of CAIR, Florida Ahmed Bedier, coordinating the ad campaign.

During October 2006, Ellison traveled to Florida on a fundraising tour that "included a party hosted by Altaf Ali, CAIR's state director there".[84][86] The party had a suggested donation of $100.[87] Since winning the 2006 election, Ellison and CAIR have continued their association.

Campaign finance violations

Campaign finance has also been an issue for Ellison. In early 2006, the Minnesota State Campaign Finance and Public Disclosure Board reprimanded Ellison for unreported contributions, discrepancies in cash balances, and misclassified disbursements. These transgressions occurred in the years 2002–2004. In 2005 when the board tried to get more information about the problems in Ellison's reports, they got no response from Ellison or his treasurer (his wife Kim). When the board heard nothing, they opened the investigation. Ellison was subpoenaed and fined.[88][89] The board has also fined Ellison numerous times for late filings[90] been sued twice by the attorney general, and has been warned many times for absent or incomplete disclosure.[68][75][91][92]

Nonpayment of fines and taxes

Ellison's license to drive an automobile has been suspended multiple times for failure to pay tickets and fines. When asked in 2006 how many times his license has been suspended, he said, "I don't know how many prior suspensions I've had; I don't keep count."[75]

Ellison also failed to pay all or part of his income taxes in five separate years between 1992 and 2000, forcing the state and Internal Revenue Service to put liens on his home. He later paid in excess of $18,000.[3][93]

CNN interview with Glenn Beck

On November 14, 2006, Glenn Beck of CNN Headline News[94] said to Ellison, "I have been nervous about this interview with you, because what I feel like saying is, 'Sir, prove to me that you are not working with our enemies.' And I know you're not. I'm not accusing you of being an enemy, but that's the way I feel, and I think a lot of Americans will feel that way." Ellison replied that his constituents, "know that I have a deep love and affection for my country. There's no one who's more patriotic than I am, and so you know, I don't need to — need to prove my patriotic stripes."

When asked by Beck about his opinion on "Muslim extremists" Ellison replied, "They're criminals. But I think that people who commit criminal acts should be treated like criminals, regardless of their faith."[94] Ellison has also said, "Osama bin Laden no more represents Islam than Timothy McVeigh represented Christianity."[95]

Asked about the incident later, Ellison dismissed it, "It's just shock TV. Some pundits think they have to ask the most outrageous questions."[96] On January 2, 2007, Beck said on his radio program that Ellison did not take offense at the comments and the two had a friendly chat off the air. On January 9, 2007, at the Television Critics Association's semiannual press tour, Beck said it was "Quite possibly the poorest-worded question of all time." He clarified by saying, "My point to Keith Ellison ... is the same point that I make to my own faith, and that is — you must stand up before things get out of control ... And it's important for people of all faiths, when someone is hijacking their religion, to stand and say, 'That is not what we do. That is not who we are."' [97]

Quran Oath Controversy of the 110th United States Congress

Main article: Qur'an oath controversy of the 110th United States Congress

Speaker Nancy Pelosi (left) and Ellison (right) at his swearing in ceremony with Thomas Jefferson's Quran
Because Ellison stated an intent to use the Quran instead of a Bible at his photo-op reenactment of the swearing in ceremony (the official ceremony is done en masse without any books), Conservative columnist Dennis Prager wrote a column criticizing him.[98] This drew responses from organizations such as the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), the American Family Association, and the Anti-Defamation League.

Fifth-term Rep. Virgil Goode (R-VA), responding to "scores and hundreds of emails"[99] from his constituents after the Prager articles, has also stated his view that Ellison's decision to use the Quran is a threat to "the values and beliefs traditional to the United States of America".[100] He also wrote, "...if American citizens don't wake up and adopt the Virgil Goode position on immigration there will likely be many more Muslims elected to office and demanding the use of the Quran."

CNN reported that on January 4, 2007 (the opening day of Congress), Ellison met Goode on the House floor to shake hands and Goode accepted an offer to talk over coffee.[101]

That same day during his oath reenactment, Ellison used a two volume Quran published in London in 1764 that was once owned by Thomas Jefferson[102] and loaned to Ellison by "the rare book and special collections division at the Library of Congress"; coincidentally, Jefferson's home at Monticello was actually located in Goode's district.[103] According to Ellison, "It demonstrates that from the very beginning of our country, we had people who were visionary, who were religiously tolerant, who believed that knowledge and wisdom could be gleaned from any number of sources, including the Quran."[104] Historian Kevin J. Hayes in his book How Thomas Jefferson Read the Qur'an explains that Jefferson purchased the book in 1765 while studying for the bar exam to become a lawyer (when he began questioning British Common Law after the Stamp Act Crisis).[105]

President Barack Obama in an address to nations with a majority Muslim population made in Cairo, Egypt on June 4, 2009 cited this event as an example of the continual positive impact Muslims have had on America, saying, "And when the first Muslim-American was recently elected to Congress, he took the oath to defend our Constitution using the same Holy Quran that one of our Founding Fathers—Thomas Jefferson—kept in his personal library."[106]

Rights of individuals

In an interview with the BBC's Program Outlook, on Nov. 12th 2010, Ellison was asked the sort of people he represents. He answered: "The district I represent is the kind of district where you can have a Member of Congress stand up for religious tolerance and against religious bigotry, against anyone, but also stand up for the rights of gays too." [107]

Comments: Reichstag fire and 9/11

On July 8, 2007, Ellison discussed the power of the executive branch in the US currently in a speech before the organization Atheists for Human Rights. He stated that Dick Cheney asserts it is "beneath his dignity in order for him to answer any questions from the citizens of the United States. That is the very definition of totalitarianism, authoritarianism and dictatorship."[108] He went on to say, "It's almost like the Reichstag fire, kind of reminds me of that. After the Reichstag was burned, they blamed the Communists for it and it put the leader of that country Hitler in a position where he could basically have authority to do whatever he wanted. The fact is that I'm not saying September 11 was a U.S. plan, or anything like that because, you know, that's how they put you in the nut-ball box — dismiss you."[108]

Fox News picked up the story[109] and their commentator John Gibson categorized Ellison's comments as accusing "Bush of planning and executing the 9/11 attacks".[110] In the Congress Reps. Eric Cantor (R-VA) and Zach Wamp (R-TN) wrote House Speaker Nancy Pelosi demanding she "swiftly and immediately" reprimand Ellison for his remarks.[111] The letter said "Even if Ellison asserts that he was not implying that 9/11 was orchestrated by the administration, the comparison he draws between Hitler and the president of United States is disgraceful. These comments inflame hatred and division at a time when we should be promoting our unity and reconciliation."[111][112] The Anti-Defamation League also stated "Whatever his views may be on the administration's response to 9/11 and the conduct of the war on terrorism, likening it to Hitler's rise to power and Nazism is odious and demeans the victims of 9/11 and the brave American men and women engaged in the war on terror. Furthermore, it demonstrates a profound lack of understanding about the horrors that Hitler and his Nazi regime perpetrated."[111]

When later questioned about his comments, Ellison told a reporter that Osama bin Laden, and not the Bush administration, was responsible for the attacks.[113] Ellison also said, "In the aftermath of a tragedy, space is opened up for governments to take action that they could not have achieved before that." He pointed to the Iraq War and provisions granting greater arrest and surveillance powers within the USA PATRIOT Act as examples.[114] Ellison also "In response to a question, I stated that the Bush Administration exploited post-9/11 fears to advance a policy agenda that has undermined our civil liberties. I stand by this statement. ...I want to be clear that the murderous Nazi regime is historically distinct and the horror of the Holocaust must be acknowledged as a unique event in human history. I did not intend any direct comparison between the totalitarian state of Nazi Germany and the current administration. I have taken consistent and strong stands against Holocaust denial throughout my life in public service."[111]

Sali remarks

Rep. Bill Sali (R-ID) drew criticism for his comments in an August 8, 2007 interview with the conservative Christian-based American Family News Network. Sali, an outspoken Evangelical Christian, denounced the Senate leadership for allowing a Hindu to lead the opening prayer. He held that invoking a non-Christian god in the Senate threatened to endanger America by removing "the protective hand of God."[115] He then went on to say "We have not only a Hindu prayer being offered in the Senate, we have a Muslim member of the House of Representatives now, Keith Ellison from Minnesota. Those are changes and they are not what was envisioned by the Founding Fathers. The principles that this country was built on, that have made it great over these centuries, were Christian principles derived from Scripture. You know the Lord can make the rain fall on the just and the unjust alike." Former Idaho Democratic congressman Richard Stallings, among others, demanded that Sali either apologize or resign. In response Sali sent Ellison an e-mail saying he "meant no offense."[116] At the time Ellison was in Iraq with a congressional delegation, his spokesperson said "The congressman just doesn't respond to comments like that."[117] Sali stressed to reporters that he was not calling for Ellison to be removed, "He got elected the same way I did. People certainly have the right to elect anyone they want."[117] Sali defended his claim about America's founding principles, saying, "The idea that somehow we can move to multiculturalism and still remain the same — I think that's a little dangerous, too. From my standpoint, I believe the Founding Fathers were overwhelmingly Christian and the God they were talking about is the God of the Bible."[117] When asked about his policy discussions with those of other faiths he stated, "I would say, 'These are principles that I think are important,' and if he agrees with those, great. At the end of the game, maybe it does get down to religious beliefs and how they impact how you make public policy."[117] It has been noted in a New York Sun editorial that claims dogging Ellison that the founders of the US did not anticipate Muslim legislators are incorrect.[118] The specific subject was brought up in many of the State conventions to ratify the Constitution, including remarks by William Lancaster in the North Carolina Ratifying Convention in 1788.[118][119]

Source wiki

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
The nonbinding resolution, which has no co-sponsors, has been sent to the House Foreign Affairs Committee.
It may stay there.

Oracle

Controversy is his second name.

Farrakhan and Nation of Islam ties

While a law student in 1989 and 1990, Ellison wrote several columns as Keith E. Hakim in the student newspaper, the Minnesota Daily. In the articles, he defended Louis Farrakhan against accusations of antisemitism, and suggested that affirmative action served as a "sneaky" way of paying reparations to African Americans for slavery.[68][69][70] In another article, he purportedly suggested the creation of a separate state for black residents.[71][72]

In 1997, when Joanne Jackson, executive director of the Minneapolis Initiative Against Racism (MIAR), allegedly said that, "Jews are among the most racist white people", Ellison, using his religious name Mohammed, read a statement supporting her on behalf of the The Minneapolis-St. Paul Study Group of the Nations of Islam.[69][73] Ellison later suggested that he used the controversy to "[speak] out in favor of increased dialogue between the Jewish and African-American communities." In 1998, during his Minnesota State Legislature House campaign, Ellison asserted that he "rejected anti-Jewish attitudes".[74]

Questions about Ellison's involvement with the Nation of Islam arose during his 2006 campaign. After winning the Democratic party nomination in May, he wrote a letter to the local Jewish Community Relations Council where he reportedly "asserted that his involvement with the Nation of Islam had been limited to an 18-month period around the time of the Million Man March in 1995, that he had been unfamiliar with the Nation of Islam's anti-Semitic views during his involvement with the group, and that he himself had never expressed such views."[69][75] He also stated that he was never a member of the Nation of Islam, but only worked with it to organize the Minnesota contingent to the Million Man March,[68][69] and has insisted he is a Sunni Muslim.[76][77]

In Ellison's letter, he denounced the Nation of Islam and Farrakhan, writing "I wrongly dismissed concerns that they [Farrakhan's remarks] were anti-Semitic. They were and are anti-Semitic and I should have come to that conclusion earlier than I did."[78] He explained his previous views, saying that he, "did not adequately scrutinize the positions and statements of the Nation of Islam, Louis Farrakhan, and Khalid Muhammed." He also stated that "any kind of discrimination and hate are wrong. This has always been my position".

CAIR campaign contributions

During the 2006 election Nihad Awad, executive director of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) and James Yee, the former Muslim chaplain at Guantanamo Bay, spoke at an August 25 fundraiser for Ellison.[68][79] According to the Minneapolis Star Tribune Ellison accepted thousands of dollars from Nihad Awad and another leader of CAIR; Ellison responded that he had fully disclosed all contributions and asserted that he had "nothing to hide".[80] Ellison stressed that he was supported by individuals, and that the organization CAIR itself did not endorse him.[81] His Republican opponent in the race, Alan Fine, criticized Ellison for accepting these contributions. Fine said that CAIR was "a group that Democrats say has deep ties to terrorism".[82] The Fine campaign quoted Sens. Charles Schumer (D-NY) and Dick Durbin (D-IL) alleging CAIR's "ties to terrorism" and "its association with groups that are suspect." Many conservatives and Jewish groups claim CAIR is rooted in the Hamas movement and that its leaders also secretly support Hezbollah in Lebanon. Fine went so far as to say "CAIR is to Muslims as the Ku Klux Klan is to Christians."[83] During the 2006 election Independence Party candidate Tammy Lee also accused CAIR of having secret ties to Hamas.[84] CAIR director Nihad Awad has known Ellison since they both attended the University of Minnesota.[6][83]

In response to Ellison's opponents, CAIR leaders Parvez Ahmed and Nihad Awad wrote "We are proud of our personal donations to Ellison's campaign" and derided any 'guilt by association' arguments.[85] During this time the "Not in the Name of Islam" paid advertisement began appearing on Minnesota television channels for the first time, with Communications Director of CAIR, Florida Ahmed Bedier, coordinating the ad campaign.

During October 2006, Ellison traveled to Florida on a fundraising tour that "included a party hosted by Altaf Ali, CAIR's state director there".[84][86] The party had a suggested donation of $100.[87] Since winning the 2006 election, Ellison and CAIR have continued their association.

Campaign finance violations

Campaign finance has also been an issue for Ellison. In early 2006, the Minnesota State Campaign Finance and Public Disclosure Board reprimanded Ellison for unreported contributions, discrepancies in cash balances, and misclassified disbursements. These transgressions occurred in the years 2002–2004. In 2005 when the board tried to get more information about the problems in Ellison's reports, they got no response from Ellison or his treasurer (his wife Kim). When the board heard nothing, they opened the investigation. Ellison was subpoenaed and fined.[88][89] The board has also fined Ellison numerous times for late filings[90] been sued twice by the attorney general, and has been warned many times for absent or incomplete disclosure.[68][75][91][92]

Nonpayment of fines and taxes

Ellison's license to drive an automobile has been suspended multiple times for failure to pay tickets and fines. When asked in 2006 how many times his license has been suspended, he said, "I don't know how many prior suspensions I've had; I don't keep count."[75]

Ellison also failed to pay all or part of his income taxes in five separate years between 1992 and 2000, forcing the state and Internal Revenue Service to put liens on his home. He later paid in excess of $18,000.[3][93]

CNN interview with Glenn Beck

On November 14, 2006, Glenn Beck of CNN Headline News[94] said to Ellison, "I have been nervous about this interview with you, because what I feel like saying is, 'Sir, prove to me that you are not working with our enemies.' And I know you're not. I'm not accusing you of being an enemy, but that's the way I feel, and I think a lot of Americans will feel that way." Ellison replied that his constituents, "know that I have a deep love and affection for my country. There's no one who's more patriotic than I am, and so you know, I don't need to — need to prove my patriotic stripes."

When asked by Beck about his opinion on "Muslim extremists" Ellison replied, "They're criminals. But I think that people who commit criminal acts should be treated like criminals, regardless of their faith."[94] Ellison has also said, "Osama bin Laden no more represents Islam than Timothy McVeigh represented Christianity."[95]

Asked about the incident later, Ellison dismissed it, "It's just shock TV. Some pundits think they have to ask the most outrageous questions."[96] On January 2, 2007, Beck said on his radio program that Ellison did not take offense at the comments and the two had a friendly chat off the air. On January 9, 2007, at the Television Critics Association's semiannual press tour, Beck said it was "Quite possibly the poorest-worded question of all time." He clarified by saying, "My point to Keith Ellison ... is the same point that I make to my own faith, and that is — you must stand up before things get out of control ... And it's important for people of all faiths, when someone is hijacking their religion, to stand and say, 'That is not what we do. That is not who we are."' [97]

Quran Oath Controversy of the 110th United States Congress

Main article: Qur'an oath controversy of the 110th United States Congress

Speaker Nancy Pelosi (left) and Ellison (right) at his swearing in ceremony with Thomas Jefferson's Quran
Because Ellison stated an intent to use the Quran instead of a Bible at his photo-op reenactment of the swearing in ceremony (the official ceremony is done en masse without any books), Conservative columnist Dennis Prager wrote a column criticizing him.[98] This drew responses from organizations such as the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), the American Family Association, and the Anti-Defamation League.

Fifth-term Rep. Virgil Goode (R-VA), responding to "scores and hundreds of emails"[99] from his constituents after the Prager articles, has also stated his view that Ellison's decision to use the Quran is a threat to "the values and beliefs traditional to the United States of America".[100] He also wrote, "...if American citizens don't wake up and adopt the Virgil Goode position on immigration there will likely be many more Muslims elected to office and demanding the use of the Quran."

CNN reported that on January 4, 2007 (the opening day of Congress), Ellison met Goode on the House floor to shake hands and Goode accepted an offer to talk over coffee.[101]

That same day during his oath reenactment, Ellison used a two volume Quran published in London in 1764 that was once owned by Thomas Jefferson[102] and loaned to Ellison by "the rare book and special collections division at the Library of Congress"; coincidentally, Jefferson's home at Monticello was actually located in Goode's district.[103] According to Ellison, "It demonstrates that from the very beginning of our country, we had people who were visionary, who were religiously tolerant, who believed that knowledge and wisdom could be gleaned from any number of sources, including the Quran."[104] Historian Kevin J. Hayes in his book How Thomas Jefferson Read the Qur'an explains that Jefferson purchased the book in 1765 while studying for the bar exam to become a lawyer (when he began questioning British Common Law after the Stamp Act Crisis).[105]

President Barack Obama in an address to nations with a majority Muslim population made in Cairo, Egypt on June 4, 2009 cited this event as an example of the continual positive impact Muslims have had on America, saying, "And when the first Muslim-American was recently elected to Congress, he took the oath to defend our Constitution using the same Holy Quran that one of our Founding Fathers—Thomas Jefferson—kept in his personal library."[106]

Rights of individuals

In an interview with the BBC's Program Outlook, on Nov. 12th 2010, Ellison was asked the sort of people he represents. He answered: "The district I represent is the kind of district where you can have a Member of Congress stand up for religious tolerance and against religious bigotry, against anyone, but also stand up for the rights of gays too." [107]

Comments: Reichstag fire and 9/11

On July 8, 2007, Ellison discussed the power of the executive branch in the US currently in a speech before the organization Atheists for Human Rights. He stated that Dick Cheney asserts it is "beneath his dignity in order for him to answer any questions from the citizens of the United States. That is the very definition of totalitarianism, authoritarianism and dictatorship."[108] He went on to say, "It's almost like the Reichstag fire, kind of reminds me of that. After the Reichstag was burned, they blamed the Communists for it and it put the leader of that country Hitler in a position where he could basically have authority to do whatever he wanted. The fact is that I'm not saying September 11 was a U.S. plan, or anything like that because, you know, that's how they put you in the nut-ball box — dismiss you."[108]

Fox News picked up the story[109] and their commentator John Gibson categorized Ellison's comments as accusing "Bush of planning and executing the 9/11 attacks".[110] In the Congress Reps. Eric Cantor (R-VA) and Zach Wamp (R-TN) wrote House Speaker Nancy Pelosi demanding she "swiftly and immediately" reprimand Ellison for his remarks.[111] The letter said "Even if Ellison asserts that he was not implying that 9/11 was orchestrated by the administration, the comparison he draws between Hitler and the president of United States is disgraceful. These comments inflame hatred and division at a time when we should be promoting our unity and reconciliation."[111][112] The Anti-Defamation League also stated "Whatever his views may be on the administration's response to 9/11 and the conduct of the war on terrorism, likening it to Hitler's rise to power and Nazism is odious and demeans the victims of 9/11 and the brave American men and women engaged in the war on terror. Furthermore, it demonstrates a profound lack of understanding about the horrors that Hitler and his Nazi regime perpetrated."[111]

When later questioned about his comments, Ellison told a reporter that Osama bin Laden, and not the Bush administration, was responsible for the attacks.[113] Ellison also said, "In the aftermath of a tragedy, space is opened up for governments to take action that they could not have achieved before that." He pointed to the Iraq War and provisions granting greater arrest and surveillance powers within the USA PATRIOT Act as examples.[114] Ellison also "In response to a question, I stated that the Bush Administration exploited post-9/11 fears to advance a policy agenda that has undermined our civil liberties. I stand by this statement. ...I want to be clear that the murderous Nazi regime is historically distinct and the horror of the Holocaust must be acknowledged as a unique event in human history. I did not intend any direct comparison between the totalitarian state of Nazi Germany and the current administration. I have taken consistent and strong stands against Holocaust denial throughout my life in public service."[111]

Sali remarks

Rep. Bill Sali (R-ID) drew criticism for his comments in an August 8, 2007 interview with the conservative Christian-based American Family News Network. Sali, an outspoken Evangelical Christian, denounced the Senate leadership for allowing a Hindu to lead the opening prayer. He held that invoking a non-Christian god in the Senate threatened to endanger America by removing "the protective hand of God."[115] He then went on to say "We have not only a Hindu prayer being offered in the Senate, we have a Muslim member of the House of Representatives now, Keith Ellison from Minnesota. Those are changes and they are not what was envisioned by the Founding Fathers. The principles that this country was built on, that have made it great over these centuries, were Christian principles derived from Scripture. You know the Lord can make the rain fall on the just and the unjust alike." Former Idaho Democratic congressman Richard Stallings, among others, demanded that Sali either apologize or resign. In response Sali sent Ellison an e-mail saying he "meant no offense."[116] At the time Ellison was in Iraq with a congressional delegation, his spokesperson said "The congressman just doesn't respond to comments like that."[117] Sali stressed to reporters that he was not calling for Ellison to be removed, "He got elected the same way I did. People certainly have the right to elect anyone they want."[117] Sali defended his claim about America's founding principles, saying, "The idea that somehow we can move to multiculturalism and still remain the same — I think that's a little dangerous, too. From my standpoint, I believe the Founding Fathers were overwhelmingly Christian and the God they were talking about is the God of the Bible."[117] When asked about his policy discussions with those of other faiths he stated, "I would say, 'These are principles that I think are important,' and if he agrees with those, great. At the end of the game, maybe it does get down to religious beliefs and how they impact how you make public policy."[117] It has been noted in a New York Sun editorial that claims dogging Ellison that the founders of the US did not anticipate Muslim legislators are incorrect.[118] The specific subject was brought up in many of the State conventions to ratify the Constitution, including remarks by William Lancaster in the North Carolina Ratifying Convention in 1788.[118][119]

Source wiki
Every saint has a past; every sinner has a future. Whatever Congressman Keith Ellison is doing is to be cheered.

Oracle

Why is it to be cheared?
Cheered in the sense that those are recommendations. Read the last para again.

We don't need any interference from foreign nations.
Agreed.

However, this kind of interference is welcome, when the State Government, or to a lesser extent the Central Government fail to do their job (mostly because of politics). Do we not cheer the whopping US gives to Pakistan about the tragic condition of minorities living there?

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
cf. United States resolution on Armenian genocide

United States resolution on Armenian genocide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is a non-binding resolution of the House alone, calling upon the U.S. President
" to ensure that the foreign policy of the United States reflects appropriate understanding and sensitivity concerning issues related to human rights, ethnic cleansing, and genocide documented in the United States record relating to the Armenian Genocide, and for other purposes.
Understanding and sensitivity. BFD.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I agree with Yusuf.

It is our problem.

We don't require endorsement from a foreign country.

We can also raise the issue of the Red Indians.

It was also a genocide and they are kept in reservations, as if they were some endangered wild animals!

SHURIDH

None of your buissness.
I agree gujrat riot left great scar in indian muslim mind.gurjat government,police attitude is questionable.
But still its our eternal matter.i want to belive the indian state and law is here for indian minority.the day indian minority will need any forgien help in their own indian soil for their security.it will be tragic and shameful act.
I have faith in indian law and justice.it will take some time but justice would be done.
But still i want to say relation betwen an indian hindu and an indian muslim is ten times better than relationship betwen a us chirstian and a us muslim.the anti muslim sentiment is increasing in usa.he should work to reduce it.
I don't want any interferance of usa in our internal matter.
I wish we will solve our problem interanly.country like usa will expoilt the differance betwen us to control india and will creat new problem.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles