Republican congressman says 'legitimate rape' does not cause pregnancy

pmaitra

Republican congressman says 'legitimate rape' does not cause pregnancy

Republican congressman Todd Akin has sparked fury by claiming that victims of "legitimate rape" rarely get pregnant.

Representative Todd Akin, a Missouri congressman who is also his party's nominee for the US Senate, said that "from what I understand from doctors" women's bodies naturally reject pregnancies that result from rape.
[HR][/HR]
"First of all, from what I understand from doctors, [pregnancy from rape] is really rare," Mr Akin told a local television channel. "If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.

"But let's assume that maybe that didn't work or something. You know I think there should be some punishment, but the punishment ought to be on the rapist and not attacking the child."
Full article and video: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...legitimate-rape-does-not-cause-pregnancy.html

KS

Bye bye DFI
Legitimate rape...:bplease:

Jim Street

Country flag
What the heck is legitimate rape?. :confused:
If a husband forcefully do it to his wife....Its rape..but as marriage is also a legal contract.....may be that's why they called it legitimate.....:thumb:

These people are hilarious....Unki society unke rules.:cool2:

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
men are real specimen to be kept in zooo....

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
If a husband forcefully do it to his wife....Its rape..but as marriage is also a legal contract.....may be that's why they called it legitimate.....:thumb:

These people are hilarious....Unki society unke rules.:cool2:
These republicans go to great lengths to oppose abortion even if abortion is a result of a rape.

ani82v

Country flag
These Republicans are real specimens, its good that they have a Republican party in US where most of the buffoons flock together.

Jim Street

Country flag
These republicans go to great lengths to oppose abortion even if abortion is a result of a rape.
I think THEY think that they are ahead of the curve...........:pound:

How does an adjective to a physical act affect biological process......?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
"First of all, from what I understand from doctors, [pregnancy from rape] is really rare," Mr Akin told a local television channel. "If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.
I dont think such things exists..

Guy is not making facts on his own ?

KS

Bye bye DFI
I think THEY think that they are ahead of the curve...........:pound:

How does an adjective to a physical act affect biological process......?
Maybe the girl's brain sends some secret nerve signals to the reproductive system to shut down till the whole legitimate rape process is over and then automatically reboot the system ? :hmm:

Jim Street

Country flag
Maybe the girl's brain sends some secret nerve signals to the reproductive system to shut down till the whole legitimate rape process is over and then automatically reboot the system ? :hmm:
You are one hell of neurologist.....:rofl:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Guess what guys, "legitimate rape" has made its way into the Urban Dictionary. :rotflmao:

Definition: "Rape between one man and one woman who are not married or even acquainted; the only rape sanctioned by the Republican Party."
Example: "Was it legitimate rape, or was it just like, hilarious prison rape or acceptable acquaintance rape?"

Source: Urban Dictionary

Last edited:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
On a more serious note.

Congressman Todd Akin told to quit over rape gaffe

Leading condemnation of Representative Todd Akin, President Barack Obama said "rape is rape".

Fellow Republicans have called on Mr Akin to withdraw his candidacy for Missouri's Senate seat.

Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney swiftly distanced himself from Mr Akin's comments.

The Missouri congressman apologised on Monday, saying he had used the "wrong words the wrong way".
Republican rebukes

At the White House on Monday, Mr Obama said the comments underscored why politicians - most of whom are men - should not make health decisions on behalf of women.

"The views expressed were offensive," he told reporters.

"Rape is rape and the idea that we should be parsing and qualifying and slicing what types of rape we are talking about doesn't make sense to the American people and certainly doesn't make sense to me."

The campaign of Mr Romney, who will challenge President Obama for the White House in November, quickly rebuked Mr Akin.

A spokesman for Mr Romney said that both the candidate and his running mate, Paul Ryan, disagreed with the Missouri congressman.

He also stressed that "a Romney-Ryan administration would not oppose abortion in instances of rape".

Other Republicans turned on Mr Akin.

Massachusetts Senator Scott Brown and Wisconsin Senator Ron Johnson called on him to step down.

"I believe Rep Akin's statement was so far out of bounds that he should resign the nomination for US Senate in Missouri," said Mr Brown, who is facing a tight re-election campaign this year.
More @ Source: BBC

Looks like this guy knows jack sh1t about reproduction and the funny thing is this guy is a member of the "House Committee on Science". :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Social media users reacted with outrage to Mr Akin's remarks, expressing concern that he is a member of the House Committee on Science.

Last edited:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
These Republicans are real specimens, its good that they have a Republican party in US where most of the buffoons flock together.
Almost exactly the same thing was said here in North Carolina years ago. By a Republican. :)

Saunders: N.C. has experience with nonsense rape comments - Saunders - NewsObserver.com
While the rest of the country is heaping ridicule and opprobrium onto Missouri Republican congressman Todd Akin's combed-over head, we North Carolina residents should be thanking the heavens for such a gift as he.

Why? For nonsensically saying that women who are legitimately raped can't get pregnant?

No. We should be thankful because we had a state representative make a similarly ridiculous comment nearly two decades ago. Thanks to Akin, the rest of the world can now see that this isn't the only state that would elect someone who spouts such unscientific gobbledygook.

pmaitra

What are the doctors or biologists saying?

Is it true that a woman who has been coerced into having sex, will release hormones to destroy the incoming sperm? It is a fact that women's bodies do produce spermicidal hormones. After ejaculation, millions of sperm cells swim beyond the cervix, and the first one to reach the egg fertilizes it, but the egg immediately releases hormones that kill all the other subsequent sperms.

I am no biologist, but this angle needs to be explored.

We need comments from experts, not political claptrap!

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
What are the doctors or biologists saying?

Is it true that a woman who has been coerced into having sex, will release hormones to destroy the incoming sperm? It is a fact that women's bodies do produce spermicidal hormones. After ejaculation, millions of sperm cells swim beyond the cervix, and the first one to reach the egg fertilizes it, but the egg immediately releases hormones that kill all the other subsequent sperms.

I am no biologist, but this angle needs to be explored.

We need comments from experts, not political claptrap!
The medical claims go back to the 1970s, but the issue is too politically charged by the "woman's right to choose" slogan for any scientific conclusion to be reached. Remember, the Democrats claim that Republicans are engaging in a "war on women."

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles