Reforming Security Council Should Be Top Priority

hello_10

Tihar Jail
Banned
India pushes for reform of 'stagnating' UN Security Council
Wed 17 Apr, 2013

United Nations, April 17 (IANS) India has made a strong case for reform of the UN Security Council, saying that while 80 more countries have joined the UN in the past 50 years the council has not undergone the slightest change, terming this an "unnatural situation of stagnation" in a dynamic international environment.

Asoke Kumar Mukerji, India's new Permanent Representative to the UN, in his maiden speech after presenting his credentials to UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon, said that despite nearly 80 percent of the Security Council's work being focused on Africa, the Council did not have even one permanent member from any of the 54 states of the continent. He termed this a "truly bizarre situation".

Mukerji said the argument for reforms "is more compelling than ever before".

"It appears to be just a matter of time when the body may either have to willingly embrace change or be made to accept change as a fait accompli," said Mukerji, who has taken over from Hardeep Singh Puri, who stepped down Feb 28.

Mukerji was addressing the ninth round of Intergovernmental Negotiations (IGN) on equitable representation on and increase in the membership of the Security Council and other matters related to the Council, said a statement Wednesday.

Mukerji said that eight rounds of negotiations have already taken place and proposed that it was time to move from words to action "from a mere repetition of old stated positions to achieving tangible progress". He also said "we must avoid falling into long periods of stasis and inertia".

He said the African group and the L69 Group - comprising countries from Latin America, the Caribbean, Asia and the Pacific - have converged. Countries of the Caribbean Community CARICOM - an organisation of 15 nations and dependencies - are also pushing for early reforms.

"We member states who are positively committed to seeking early reforms of the Security Council look to you as a repository of the collective investment of all our endeavours since we embarked upon this IGN roadmap in the 63rd UNGA in 2009", he said.

He said that reform of institutions of global governance, including the UN Security Council, "and ensuring that they reflect contemporary reality, has been a matter of foremost importance to my country".

The last expansion in the UN Security Council took place in 1963 - an increase of four in the non-permanent category from 11 to 15. "Since then, membership of the United Nations has increased from 113 to 193. Mr. Chairman, 80 more countries have joined the United Nations, but the composition of its premier body, mandated to maintain international peace and security, has not undergone even the slightest change."

"This is an unnatural situation of stagnation in a dynamic and rapidly changing international environment," said Mukerji.

India, along with Brazil, Germany and Japan - also called the G4 countries - has called for expanding the permanent membership of the Security Council.

India pushes for reform of 'stagnating' UN Security Council

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
When are the reforms going to happen ? :drunk:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
China supports reform of UN Security Council

BEIJING - Assistant Foreign Minister Wu Hailong on Friday called for greater representation of developing countries within the United Nations Security Council (UNSC), specifically African nations, as a goal of its reform. :china:

Wu made the remarks at the fourth Lanting Forum held by the Foreign Ministry, where he made a keynote address on the 40th anniversary of the restoration of the lawful seat of the People's Republic of China in the United Nations.

Wu said China supports the rational and necessary reform of the UNSC, in order to make it better reflect the current situation of international politics. :thumb:

He called on the UNSC to improve its authority and efficiency, so it can better cope with global threats and challenges and perform better in its duty endowed by the UN Charter.

China has actively participated in the discussions and intergovernmental negotiations relating to UNSC reform and maintains frequent communication with related countries, such as Japan, India, Brazil and German, on the issue, he said.

"We value the roles and influence of such countries that are major but currently not permanent members of the UNSC," he said, adding that China hopes these countries will play bigger roles in the UN.

He said the reform package of the UNSC should be comprehensive and take into account the interests of all parties.

He believes that through full negotiation a package that most countries could accept will be reached and eventually the reform of the UNSC will be achieved.

With regard to the UN's role in the future, he suggested it should continue efforts to push for peaceful solutions to hot issues, remain committed to international cooperation on development while promoting social development and the progress of human rights.

He hopes the UN will uphold the authority and efficacy of international regimes on arms control and disarmament and proliferation prevention, continue to uphold international judicial justice, and continue to advance reasonable and necessary reforms.

China supports reform of UN Security Council|Politics|chinadaily.com.cn
That is fine, China can give its seat to India. It never was a responsible or active player in security matters.

The Last Stand

Country flag
That is fine, China can give its seat to India. It never was a responsible or active player in security matters.
:lol:

That's cruel.

China would never want India to become a security council permanent member. And they definitely wouldn't give up their permanent powers.

A hypothetical situation - China invades India, UN decides to help India by sending UN PKF. China needs to veto that if they want to win.

Things like that. :rolleyes:

hello_10

Tihar Jail
Banned
UN isn't about any type of being responsible or irresponsible membership, its also a tool of US/West to continue interfering in other countries in a wrong way, maintain flow of money from the developing countries somehow/ control on them someway....... we just want it as we at least have a platform to sit and talk together :wave:

but until China is imposing a credible resistance to US/NATO, we welcome this 'power balance' in UN too. we always want China against US/West :thumb:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
UN isn't about any type of being responsible or irresponsible membership, its also a tool of US/West to continue interfering in other countries in a wrong way, maintain flow of money from the developing countries somehow/ control on them someway....... we just want it as we at least have a platform to sit and talk together :wave:

but until China is imposing a credible resistance to US/NATO, we welcome this 'power balance' in UN too. we always want China against US/West :thumb:
It is about responsibility, that is why it is there. UNSC responsibility is for the maintenance of international peace and security as stated in the charter. China violates that ethos every day by promoting instability in developing countries. It should be kicked from the council and put a more responsible partner in its place, a la India. If China and Russia want to challenge NATO, UNSC is not the place to do it but in the SCO.

hello_10

Tihar Jail
Banned
It's time for UN Security Council reform: Shashi Tharoor
Apr 17, 2013

WASHINGTON: Aspiring for a permanent seat at the powerful UN Security Council, India has renewed its call for reforming and expanding the 15-membered highest decision making body of the United Nations, to make it more reflective of the 21st century realities.

"Now that we have renovated the Chamber, it is time to renovate the institution," Union Minister for Human Resources Development Shashi Tharoor said yesterday during a ceremony to mark the inauguration of the renovated chamber of the Security Council at the UN headquarters in New York.

"India calls for reform because we believe in the UN... We believe it has done well enough to be worth reforming," Tharoor said, delivering a a strong message at the ceremony to celebrate the reopening of the UN Security Council chamber, which had undergone extensive renovations at the expense of Norway, the country which had originally gifted the room to the world body in April 1952.

"This event is a reminder that institutions and places that looked fresh and relevant in 1952 need extensive repair work to bring them up to date for 2013. What was true of the fixtures, wallpaper and electronics of the Security Council is also true of its composition and working methods," he said. :thumb:

"Just last week India lost 5 of its soldiers in South Sudan. The bodies of our brave peacekeepers have come home to much grief and mourning but not one voice has been raised in our political space to question why Indian lives are being lost to keep the peace in Africa. India remains staunchly committed to the ideals and goals of the world organisation. It is in this spirit of commitment that we seek change," Tharoor said.

"While congratulating Norway for its marvellous work in renovating 'the most important room in the world', I must tell my old friend Foreign Minister Eide that we will not wait 61 years for new seats to be added to the chamber," he said.

Tharoor asserted that if the Council is to remain the most important room, it will have to expand both in the permanent and non-permanent categories.

"This is fair warning that additional seats and additional table space will soon be needed. The horseshoe table's days are numbered. We will soon need a new, more democratic and representative Round Table," he said.

It's time for UN Security Council reform: Shashi Tharoor - Economic Times

no smoking

Country flag
:lol:

That's cruel.

China would never want India to become a security council permanent member. And they definitely wouldn't give up their permanent powers.

A hypothetical situation - China invades India, UN decides to help India by sending UN PKF. China needs to veto that if they want to win.

Things like that. :rolleyes:
No, my friend.
First, India don't need UN's help if there is such an invasion.
Second, UN won't be willing to help india at all. Any deploying of UN PKF would need the approval from each side of conflict.
Last, PLA won't win more for China than what veto power can offer.

amoy

I doubt if any Islamic goverment is going to get veto powers.
am I right India has the largest Muslim population in the world? I am wholeheartedly supporting to let France vacate its UNSC P seat and India takes it over, even with veto. Then still P5 in total to safeguard the peace while Muslims also get a fair representation exercised by India.

Sent from my 5910 using Tapatalk 2

Compersion

Country flag
am I right India has the largest Muslim population in the world? I am wholeheartedly supporting to let France vacate its UNSC P seat and India takes it over, even with veto. Then still P5 in total to safeguard the peace while Muslims also get a fair representation exercised by India.

What's wrong with the France. Also why it needs to be only p5.

amoy

What's wrong with the France. Also why it needs to be only p5.
dont get yr question. with more power comes more responsibility! dont u think India is more eligible than France in countless ways, just to name one - Muslim representation?

The Last Stand

Country flag
@amoy, I might have been using 20 year old census statistics to arrive at that one. Sorry. :facepalm:

Last edited by a moderator:

no smoking

Country flag
From both sides? I didn't know that. Do both sides need to agree?
Yes, if you want Peace keeping force from UN! They are coming to separate the two sides forces not to join the war.
But there is another kind of UN forces, like the one in Korea war: UN authorise some countries to use force to specific tasks.

hello_10

Tihar Jail
Banned

its also an option. with that, I would also favor Brazil to replace Britain too, to have a true representation of South America too this way :thumb:

and its all about seeking a balance in world, to have more representation of those parts of the world which have grown, have become influential. we can't have UN based on WW2 result anymore. but at least these 2 of the current P5s, the winners of WW2, are no more worth having Permanent Seat in UN :wave:

Global Defence

Articles