Red Tails (2012 - LucasArts) movie on Tuskegee Airmen

Discussion in 'Military Multimedia' started by sanjay, Jul 30, 2011.

1. sanjay

sanjay Regular Member

Lots of hagiography and dramatic license, like in Richard Attenborough's Gandhi, but should still be entertaining:

The Tuskegee airmen were of course USAF's African-American air squadron during WW2.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
    BangersAndMash likes this.
  3. Koovie

Koovie Regular Member

WoW! these were the best air combat scenes I have ever scene!!! this lucas guy knows how to make awesome and realistic scenes!!!

PS: Imagine Bollywood makes such scenes on the IAF.......

4. sanjay

sanjay Regular Member

Yes, George Lucas famously brought WW2-style combat scenes to sci-fi thru the Star Wars movies.

Now he wants to bring this similar high-flying action from Star Wars back to WW2 using hi-tech special fx for spectacular visuals.

Best IAF combat movie was Vijeta - perhaps it would be nice if Bollywood were to re-make that with cool action scenes, but they'd obviously have to contract out the special fx, because they can't do anything so fancy themselves.

5. sanjay

sanjay Regular Member

In the trailer above, if you look at the scene @ 2:03, you can see one of the Red Tails chasing a very fast-moving German fighter. This was one of the Luftwaffe's infamous Me-262 jet fighters, the only jet fighters to be used in WW2, and which could easily outperform conventional propeller-driven aircraft. The Americans shot down 5 of these fighters in total during aerial combat, and of these 3 were shot down by the Tuskegee Airmen.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  6. sanjay

sanjay Regular Member

The History Channel

7. sanjay

sanjay Regular Member

A modest made-for-TV drama was previously produced by HBO in 1995:

8. Koovie

Koovie Regular Member

lets wait for Mausam, hope to see some combat scenes in there.

By the way, look at 2:14 at the trailer, best kill ever!

9. sanjay

sanjay Regular Member

Yeah, that's supposed to be Roscoe Brown's truncated Split-S maneuver, where he pitches up his Mustang aircraft to near-stall, and then flips it into the dive to attack the enemy fighter, which was the twin-jet-propelled Me-262, Germany's next-generation air superiority fighter. You can see the battle described in the last of the 4 videos I posted from The History Channel.

I'd also recommend watching the HBO movie, part 1 of which I posted above. The rest of the 11 parts of the movie are there on Youtube, if you click on the video to go there. It was low-budget, using old WW2 stock footage, but still a very charming and endearing story. It has actors Lawrence Fishburne and Cuba Gooding Jr.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011