Rafael in $1b Indian anti-tank missile deal

Anshu Attri

Country flag
Rafael in $1b Indian anti-tank missile deal

"Defense News": Rafael will sell the Indian Army 321 Spike launchers, 8,356 missiles, and 15 training simulators, and peripheral equipment.

http://www.globes.co.il/serveen/globes/docview.asp?did=1000633160&fid=1725

"Defense News" reports that the Indian Army is about to order thousands of Spike anti-tank missiles and peripheral equipoment from Rafael Advanced Defense Systems Ltd. in a $1 billion deal. Indian Ministry of Defence officials told the magazine that the order is for 321 launchers, 8,356 missiles, and 15 training simulators, and peripheral equipment.
Rafael was the only bidder in the tender, which was published in June 2010, and the Indian Army had to obtain a special permit to sign a deal on the basis of a tender with just one potential vendor. General Dynamics Corporation (NYSE: GD), Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN), Pan-European MBDA, and Russia's Rosoboronexport decided not to participate in the tender.
"Defense News" quotes sources as saying the technology transfer was the main obstacle. The magazine did not say whether the companies that stayed out of the tender refused to share their technology with India, nor is Rafael's position on the matter made clear.
"Defense News" says that the Indian Army will receive various configurations of the Spike, including ready-for-use missiles already assembled in Israel, partly assembled missiles whose final assembly will take place in India, and missiles that will be fully assembled by Bharat Dynamics Ltd., an Indian government-owned company.
The Indian Army plans to install the Spike missile systems on Russian built combat vehicles. Indian officials said that tests in battlefield conditions have been completed, and that the Spike missiles met all the specifications set by the Indian Army: a range of 2.5 kilometers in day and night conditions, and a 90% accuracy rate. The tender also stipulates that the missiles must have 3G active-passive fire-and-forget guidance systems.
On another matter, an Indian Army official said that the Arrow 2 anti-ballistic missile system, jointly built by Israel Aerospace Industries Ltd. (IAI) (TASE: ARSP.B1) and Boeing Co. (NYSE: BA), might become part of India's missile defense solution. India has been mentioned as a possible customer of the Arrow missile, but any deal would require US approval, as it shares in the financing, development, production, and assembly, of the Arrow.
India is one of the largest customers of Israel's defense industry. The Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) says that India's is the world's largest arms buyer, because of its tense relations with China and Pakistan.

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
What happened to javelin deal, for which Spike was rejected initially siting "failure in desert condition" as ridiculous excuse by IA?
I am sure they have got lods of kick-backs for useless javalin in first place...I remember that I raised this issue earlier also! I knew Spike was the best choice, still corrupt IA procurement team and babus went for inferior US made javelin....!

Last edited:

Anshu Attri

Country flag
What happened to javelin deal, for which Spike was rejected initially siting "failure in desert condition" as ridiculous a excuse by IA?
I am sure they have got lods of kick-backs for useless javalin in first place...I remember that I raised this issue earlier also! I knew Spike was the best choice, still corrupt IA procurement team and babus went for inferior US made javelin....!
yes i remember......but now they are going for spike....

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
So IA will HAVE Javelin, Spike, and DRDO`s Manporable ATGM system..

amitkriit

What will happen to the Nag in all these deals??
News suggest that Nag was to be inducted into the army's arsenal by 2011. Our armed forces feel some short of romantic attachment towards foreign systems I think. 1 Billion US dollars of Indian taxpayers' money goes to make Rafale richer.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
I didn't see nothing on Defense News about it.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
What will happen to the Nag in all these deals??
NAG is equivalent to Hellfire, Its not Man portable..

Spike can replace smaller Missiles like Older AT-2/3/4 and Milan 2 missiles from Indian army..

ejazr

Ambassador
Some people on another forum were saying its fake news, can someone give a link from other sources? $1Billion would have been big news.

Country flag
NAG is equivalent to Hellfire, Its not Man portable..

Spike can replace smaller Missiles like Older AT-2/3/4 and Milan 2 missiles from Indian army..
This will also impact the HELINA program if enough resources are not given to NAG program?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
This will also impact the HELINA program if enough resources are not given to NAG program?

I doubt coz HELINA is the closeset to Hellfire IAF & IA can get in mass, And for NAG in IA is NAMICA which will be a dedicated Anti-tank vehicle..

Spike cannot replace it as it is a simple replacement for AT-3/4, NAG is a heavy class..

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Spike cannot replace it as it is a simple replacement for AT-3/4, NAG is a heavy class..
There are many versions of Spike, it is not just man portable but vehicle and helicopter mounted. It could replace NAG. Putting Spike ER on armour would certainly lessen the logistics with NAG that requires its own launch and supply vehicles.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
There are many versions of Spike,

it is not just man portable but vehicle and helicopter mounted.

Putting Spike ER on armour would certainly lessen the logistics with NAG that requires its own launch and supply vehicles.

IA is purchasing man portable version of SPIKE and Vehicle mounted version for BMP-2s, It will Also use over Fast attack Vehicles ( Jeep Mounted )

Spike is not heavy duty ATGM like NAG, NAG is similar to Hellfire its a Heavy class as i mentioned Above..

NAMICA is Dedicated ATGM carriers Like..

1.Lockheed Martin's HELLFIRE II Land based System, 2.Striker based TOW2 system, 3. Indian Army AT-4/5 ATGM carrier

Indian Army have plenty of Obsolete ATGM carrier like AT-4/3/5 carrier on BRDM..
NAMICA is suppose to replace these Vehicles...

The reason NAG is liked by Army simple coz of its size, moderated range, Fire & forget - guidance in cheap and can be mass produce in country..

Deign changed..

Last edited:

sandeepdg

There are many versions of Spike, it is not just man portable but vehicle and helicopter mounted. It could replace NAG. Putting Spike ER on armour would certainly lessen the logistics with NAG that requires its own launch and supply vehicles.
Spike is not being bought to replace the Nag, its been bought to replace the man portable older Milan and other such ATGMs in use with the IA's infantry. Nag will used extensively in the form of NAMICA as well as HELINA. I wish DRDO had also developed a man portable version of the NAG, or a different man poratble missile altogether.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Man portable Nag(weight-14 Kilo Grams)will be developed soon.Also
I wish DRDO had also developed a man portable version of the NAG, or a different man poratble missile altogether.

DRDO is developing Such system call SAMHO, Its not NAG but a Man-portable Indian LAHAT with a HEAT tandam warhead, the diameter is 120mm, i assume its under test but far from induction therefore Spike is chosen..

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
i hope drdo comes up with long range and nlos version of the nag atgm (like the spike)if not a man-portable version.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
IA is purchasing man portable version of SPIKE and Vehicle mounted version for BMP-2s, It will Also use over Fast attack Vehicles ( Jeep Mounted )

Spike is not heavy duty ATGM like NAG, NAG is similar to Hellfire its a Heavy class as i mentioned Above..
When Spike is capable of destroying all modern armour, there is no difference in class.

NAMICA is Dedicated ATGM carriers Like..
Namica is a BMP-2 chassis with a deck mount that requires a reload vehicle because Nag is too heavy to upload by hand. A BMP-2 with Spike crew can carry more reloads and transfer them off any truck. That means more logistics for Namica. There is a reason the US hasn't replaced land TOW with Hellfire, it is too big.

Indian Army have plenty of Obsolete ATGM carrier like AT-4/3/5 carrier on BRDM..
NAMICA is suppose to replace these Vehicles...
That is really going to increase your logistics footprint.

The reason NAG is liked by Army simple coz of its size, moderated range, Fire & forget - guidance in cheap and can be mass produce in country..
All noble reasons, just watch out for the logistics. Between the logistics intensive HF radio network, Namica and Akash, it is going to be a pain. I would like to see IA buy something that actually decreases its footprint.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles