Racist attacks on Indians in Australia!

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
विषादप्यमृतं ग्राह्यं अमेध्यादपि काञ्चनम्।

अमित्रादपि सद्वृत्तं स्त्रीरत्नं दुष्कुलादपि॥

English Translation of Sanskrit Quote:

Elixir of life is to be accepted even if comes from poison, a piece of gold is to be accepted even from impure. A good conduct is to be learnt even from an enemy and a good lady is to be accepted even from a bad community.

threadbrowser

Sorry to come in late but i too agree on the treatment of africans in India.
I had a friend from Zambia at work and he once narrated to me how when he was taking an evening stroll in a local park after work a mother pulled her child away saying "Kala cannibal log ke pas mat jaa".
He was facing a lot of harrasment in trying to get a flat to stay in, landlords would take one look at his face and then not respond to him.

Pintu

Indian students in Australia to hold rally on Sunday - Indians Abroad - World - The Times of India

Indian students in Australia to hold rally on Sunday

30 May 2009, 1221 hrs IST, IANS

MELBOURNE: Deeply concerned over the spate of attacks on its members, the Federation of Indian Students of Australia (FISA) has called for a peace rally on Sunday "in response to the growing anger in the community".

The spurt in crimes against Indian students in Sydney and Melbourne has left one battling for life while another is recuperating from a deep stab injury.

The call for the rally came on Saturday, a day after Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh spoke to his Australian counterpart Kevin Rudd and urged him to take all steps to ensure the security of Indians in Australia.

FISA, an organisation which "integrates, empowers and represents" Indian students in Australia, said the rally would begin on Sunday morning from Royal Melbourne Hospital, where one of the injured students is battling for life, and conclude at Victorian Parliament House.

The rally will end with a candle light vigil in support of the victims of the crimes.

"The purpose is to create an awareness about an increasing number of hate crimes within the state and to promote racial harmony and peace," FISA said in a statement.

It appealed to Australians to support people from different ethnic backgrounds. "We encourage all Victorians to show support for residents of all ethnic backgrounds," it said.

There are over 80,000 Indian students in Australia.

The friends and acquaintances of the 25-year-old Sravan Kumar Theerthala, who was attacked with a screwdriver over the weekend and is admitted to the Royal Melbourne Hospital, have expressed their concern over the attacks.

"We are not feeling safe basically in Australia, we are not feeling safe at all," one of them told the Herald Sun.

Another Indian said: "They told us that it is a multicultural country, you know, but after living here for three years, I will just say it is a multi-racism country you know."

Another Indian student Rajesh Kumar sustained burn injuries after a petrol bomb was thrown into his apartment in Sydney. This incident took the number of such assaults in Australia to four in the past three weeks.

Representatives of FISA and National Union of Students (NUS) had met the Indian High Commissioner Sujatha Singh two days ago to discuss the issue.

Pintu

Stay away from Australia: Race crime victim to Indian students

Stay away from Australia: Race crime victim to Indian students

Posted: Saturday , May 30, 2009 at 1519 hrs IST

Melbourne:

Fresh from surviving a murderous attack, a 25-year-old Indian student appealed to fellow countrymen aspiring to pursue education in Australia that they should not come to Australia.

"My advice to every Indian student now who wants to come to Australia is please don't come and there's no life here," said Baljinder Singh, who was attacked by two youths in Melbourne recently.

Singh also expressed concern over the condition of another Indian student Shravan Kumar, who was attacked by a screwdriver by a group of teens in a separate incident. Kumar remained "very, very serious," he said.

Kumar is in a state of coma in the intensive Care Unit of the Royal Melbourne Hospital, where he was visited by Indian High Commissioner Sujata Singh and Consul General in Melbourne Anita Nayar on Thursday.

Singh said one of his friends from Karnal has got a visa to Australia, but he is "very scared" to come here now in the wake of "racial" attacks on Indians.

Recalling the ordeal he faced, Singh said that he went to a train station on Monday night after finishing his work and two knife-wielding boys, aged around 20, approached him.

"I was very scared to see the knives. They asked me if I had any money? I told them to hang, on as I looked for my purse in my bag which was very messy... In first five seconds, one of the guys stabbed me in my stomach. I just fell down on the floor," he said.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
Another Indian said: "They told us that it is a multicultural country, you know, but after living here for three years, I will just say it is a multi-racism country you know."
From the horse's mouth? :australia:

NikSha

I had a friend from Zambia at work and he once narrated to me how when he was taking an evening stroll in a local park after work a mother pulled her child away saying "Kala cannibal log ke pas mat jaa".
He was facing a lot of harrasment in trying to get a flat to stay in, landlords would take one look at his face and then not respond to him.
What a load of crap. If he was discriminated by one mom then how the hell that makes it the same case for all Africans in India?

You DO know that most africans here are arrested for importing drugs in India from overseas, right? Probably the most arrested lot. They have themselves (those staying in India) acknowledged that major discrimination (like that landlord taking "one look") is because of the crimes their people commit here, not because of skin colour. How can you blame landlords from refusing them service when you know that once a person gets entangled in Indian legal system they are fucked for life even if they are innocent. Why would any sane Indian take that risk?

So please do gather some info on what/how people from other countries do and act like in your own country before believing everything they say as a fact.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
I agree. We must be fair....if we're condemning racism in Australia, we should also condemn it in India. And I have also observed this racism against black people in India many times. Many Indians consider them to be either very backward or drug dealers or both. A student from Nigeria once recounted how he was always harassed by the police and got no help from commoners while his white friend was treated like a guest of honour everywhere.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
that may be cause of ignorance of that women or illiteracy, here is autralia they pretend to be over educated and over civilized. and can you give me any example of any black student bashed in india. i was studing in chandigarh for 2 years. there are heaps of African students and they are coming here since last 25 years. they have no complaints what so ever & issues like this.
please don't co relate any indian issues in this thread. we have many problems cause we have just got independence recently from our white masters. to justify these attacks in so called develop lucky nation australia is totally unacceptable.
just go to you tube and find how australians are commenting for this issue. A poor student is struggling for life, one is severely burnt and one has 6 inch long sutured wound in his abdomen(thanks to curry bas hers and spineless indians those who are still quite or irrational)

johnee

Comparing India to Oz ?!? It is worse than comparing apples to oranges. 500 assaults in 6 months, 20 attacks in one month in one city Sydney and the police has so far not done anything substantial despite all the complaints. This has not started now, it has been going on for a few years now. This is not just some sneering/jeering but hardcore physical violence against Indian student community which is 'invited' and 'attracted' by large ads in prominent papers by the Oz. Their educations is multi-billion industry and Indians are the second largest foreigner group after Chinese. So, all the self-righteous Indians plz dont compare situation in India with that of Australia.
Anyway, this thread is about racism against Indians. If you want to have another thread discussing racism against Africans in India, start another thread, dont derail this one.

johnee

I am really saddened by what i hear. India is not like this. I saw the video of Sharma getting beaten up in the train.Even though the last guy looked like a 10 year old Samoan, he was already hit badly. Look at the kicks they landed from behind, forward every direction. This is really really sad. They were white predominently (note the white hood). . In India i have never been mugged, roobed, beaten. One single incident like this on anyone in India would be big BIG news, specially over the CCTV coverage revealed.

If Aussies say this is normal and everyone of all races get beaten up..then something is wrong with their country. Meanwhile friends in rough end neighbourhoods. My advise, if anyone behaves physically untowardly,don't hesitate in showing positively aggresive body language. This is really sad.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
I am really saddened by what i hear. India is not like this. I saw the video of Sharma getting beaten up in the train.Even though the last guy looked like a 10 year old Samoan, he was already hit badly. Look at the kicks they landed from behind, forward every direction. This is really really sad.
Samoans, Lebanese are notorious in Australia. One of my friends dad who is a cop in Australia and his partner, were attacked with knives by a group of samoan teens, and like in India the cops there usually don't carry guns, it was a miracle both of them escaped without injuries.

They were white predominently (note the white hood).
they were australian no doubt(could be greek,lebanese,italian,samoan,brits etc) but the point is are all australians like that ? and the answer is no.
Such thinking is pretty narrow-minded.

In India i have never been mugged, roobed, beaten. One single incident like this on anyone in India would be big BIG news, specially over the CCTV coverage revealed.
Have you seen news channels in India ? have you seen police brutality ?
And you are lucky that you never been mugged, robbed or beaten. The petrol pump outside 7 Race course road ie PM's residence has been robbed twice at gunpoint. And I wouldn't be surprised if per capita more murders,rapes, robberies happen in India as compared to Australia.

Some of my relatives in Australia have been living there for the past 3 decades and never have I heard of them complain about racism. 2 of my cousins went to study in Melbourne and one has settled there and another is planning to. From what I hear avoid certain areas and you are good to go, and I guess same advice is applicable in India.

If Aussies say this is normal and everyone of all races get beaten up..then something is wrong with their country.
By and large Australia is pretty safe but rednecks are there too. There are law enforcement and judicial system is pretty tough and those who commit crimes are caught more often than not.

Meanwhile friends in rough end neighbourhoods. My advise, if anyone behaves physically untowardly,don't hesitate in showing positively aggresive body language. This is really sad.
This is retarded advice. Goto the Student union and/or cops, if anything untoward happens. If you do as Johnee says don't be surprised if you are stabbed.

Su-47

A lot of this has to do with the perception that Indians don't fight back. they believ that they can beat the crap out of any Indian, and he won't retaliate.

It is the duty of the host nation to defend everyone living there, but each individual has the responsibility defend themselves as well. Now i know that a lot of the time the victims are taken by surprise or are outnumbered, but if these people learn to defend themselves, say, by learning martial arts, and by travelling in groups whenever possible, a lot of these attacks can be avoided or deterred.

These attacks are a reality, and can happen to anyone. If all Indians learn how to defend themselves, and fend for each other, these attacks will reduce, or be eliminated completely. think all Indians, or better still, all students who are against racism, should lobby uniformly to the police to take appropriate action. If that fails, form a reaction team. someone told a story of how Indians in USA formed a reaction team against racists to respond to these racist attacks. The next time, when a few would be attackers get beaten up, they will realise they can't target minorities anymore.

As for all the Australians who do not condone such actions, I urge them to speak up against such atrocities, and to take a more pro-active role in curbing racism, by teaching their children to be more tolerant of other races, and by isolating anyone who shows racial intolerance. Show the world you don't support these racists, and it will go a long way in improving the world perception of your nation and people.

p2prada

The probability of an Indian getting beaten up or mugged in India is more than the probability of an Indian getting mugged in Australia.

Attacks are attacks and they happen everywhere. Be it Indian or Australian or an Eskimo.

What was our media doing all this time? They woke up only after the 500th attack?

Media gets out of control every time and starts influencing negative public opinion over the wrong issues.

After US bashing for recession, it was 26/11. After that war clouds and then IPL. Now after news dried up, they are focusing on Racism. Tomorrow some Juhu murder, then some gang rape, then some Tibetan problem, then some more terrorism. The cycle goes on and on.

The media also apparently thinks Racism in Australia is more important than a 8 year old kid getting killed for a kite. Guess who the killers were, 14 year old kids. But, off course, Australia is more important, cause it brings more viewers, more money.

Right now, some 10 women will be raped and some 20 people killed every hour. But, no? Some drunk white punks beating up some brown guy is more important? Too many Hypocrites in India man.

Australians will employ more security. As recession goes, the situation will stabilize. But, what about here in India? Who will save the 10 women and the 20 other people. What about the dreams the parents had for that 8 year old kid??? In India nobody will have an answer to that. :((

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Indian students take out rally against attacks

Melbourne (PTI): Outraged over the spate of racial attacks in Australia, hundreds of Indian students on Sunday took out a massive rally here demanding justice for the victims of recent assaults, including 25-year-old Shravan Kumar who is battling for life in a local hospital.

The 'peace rally' organised by bodies like Federation of Indian Students in Australia (FISA) and National Union of Students kicked off from outside the Royal Melbourne Hospital, where Kumar is in a critical condition in the intensive care unit after being stabbed by a screwdriver by a group of teens on Sunday last.

From the hospital, the marchers proceeded to the Victorian Parliament in Spring Street, where they shouted slogans like 'Bharat Mata Ki Jai'.

"We want justice for the victims of racist violence," demanded the students, who also displayed placards carrying messages like 'Save our Students' and 'Stop Racist Violence'.

Police were present in strength to maintain law and order as the rally led to traffic diversion at the Spring Street, which was completely blocked by the demonstrators who hoped to meet the Victorian Parliamentarians to put forward their demands.

Reacting to the students' rally, Indian Consul General in Melbourne, Anita Nayar, described it as freedom of expression.

"Australia is a democratic country and it (this rally) is freedom of expression," she told PTI. However, she hoped that that event remained peaceful and did not turn ugly.

Television footage of Kumar fighting for life in the hospital sent shock waves among the 95,000-strong Indian student community in Australia, which is home to over 4 lakh international students.

FISA had said on Saturday that the rally was being organised in response to the growing anger in the Indian community against increasing hate crimes.

"The purpose is to create an awareness about an increasing number of hate crimes within the state (of Victoria) and to promote racial harmony and peace," FISA had said in a statement.

Another Indian student, Baljinder Singh, stabbed by two attackers recently, has been discharged from hospital while Rajesh Kumar, who suffered 30 per cent burns after a petrol bomb was hurled at him in his home, was being treated in a Sydney hospital.

Insisting that Australia is not a racist country, John McCarthy, its High Commissioner in New Delhi, said "we should cooperate to ensure that incidents of atrocities don't occur."

"We should ensure Indian students are well-informed about Australia which is generally a very safe country. We are proud of our record as a multi-cultural country," he told NDTV.

"We abhor racism and we are going to maintain a policy to make sure that Melbourne and other cities remain safe for all foreign students," McCarthy said, adding additional police had been deployed to protest the areas in question.

He said the Australian government was determined to ensure that such incidents did not take place again.

"Any country in the world has an amount of racism. We think, however, that our record is a good one. we have about 200 different nationalities in Australia. To be a tolerant country, to be able to handle different races, that's what we are about. But like anywhere in the world we have to manage racism - we have laws against it," McCarthy said.

The Hindu News Update Service

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Panicky students drop plans to study in Oz

MUMBAI: A week after a series of racial assaults and petrol bomb attacks on Indian students, more than a dozen students from Maharashtra have
cancelled their plans to fly to Australia for higher education. Furthermore, an estimated 1,500-odd students are reconsidering their decision to embark on an academic career in that country.

Overseas education consultants say that in view of the unabated attacks on Indian students in Australia, many students who were in the process of securing admissions there could change their plans.

“Since Indian students are being targeted, there will certainly be a drop in the numbers taking up higher education in Australia. We feel recent developments there will have an adverse impact,’’ Vinayak Kamat, overseas education consultant, told TOI.

Panicky students drop plans to study in Oz - Mumbai - Cities - The Times of India

yang

Honestly speaking, I already can treat such racist attack specially aiming at Chinese calmly. And it is very common for a Chinese to be fined unaccountably in Vietnam, Mongolia, South Africa…..However, these developing countries only tried to blackmail Chinese, apparently, maybe they can be solved by giving them some money, but it is not always so lucky ,many times even you were stolen in Mongolia, you can never go to the police station if you were a Chinese, or you would be beat into death. In Russia and England, it is a common occurrence for Chinese students to be stopped and warned or beat because of a Chinese accent. In developed countries, there exists an immense discrimination directing at Chinese people. And every year,I can read considerable articles that about overseas Chinese have been robbed or attacked by foreigners, and you may know that Chinese people are always the victims in the riots, in Tonga(all the local Chinese were robbed,and their house were burned by the crazy people), Zambia(9 Chinese workers were killed when thugs robbed the Chinese company )……what made me hate Indonesia is the anti-Chinese riots in 1998, it is a bloody debt, we won’t forget forever, and one of the fuses that cause the Vietnam war is the anti Chinese riot in Vietnam.
…………….countless

And why Chinese people are so helpless in the foreign world?
Compared with Chinese ,I think Indian are more lucky. Indian people in foreign world are more welcomed ,and they are treated more fairly.

Many people say the reason why wer are treated so badly because China is still a developing country, so the people there look down over us. No, I reject.
China is a developing country,but even the people come from poorer countries, they are more respected than Chinese. I think the troubles are the cultural difference. Our Chinese have our own cultural and we have our own rules ,but most of them are totally different from what the westerners hold. what's worse,now the westerners institute all the rules ,inevitably, our Chinese are just like the oil on the surface of the water. And we can also take our social system in to consideration,we are not democracy country.

And today, I can fully understand Mohan’s words, “ Chinese and Indians have more emotions than the westerners” .When an individual experienced a loss of identity, he may has a lot of mixed feelings, as the greatest poets are all solitary and disappointed.

NikSha

The probability of an Indian getting beaten up or mugged in India is more than the probability of an Indian getting mugged in Australia.

Attacks are attacks and they happen everywhere. Be it Indian or Australian or an Eskimo.

What was our media doing all this time? They woke up only after the 500th attack?

Media gets out of control every time and starts influencing negative public opinion over the wrong issues.

After US bashing for recession, it was 26/11. After that war clouds and then IPL. Now after news dried up, they are focusing on Racism. Tomorrow some Juhu murder, then some gang rape, then some Tibetan problem, then some more terrorism. The cycle goes on and on.

The media also apparently thinks Racism in Australia is more important than a 8 year old kid getting killed for a kite. Guess who the killers were, 14 year old kids. But, off course, Australia is more important, cause it brings more viewers, more money.

Right now, some 10 women will be raped and some 20 people killed every hour. But, no? Some drunk white punks beating up some brown guy is more important? Too many Hypocrites in India man.

Australians will employ more security. As recession goes, the situation will stabilize. But, what about here in India? Who will save the 10 women and the 20 other people. What about the dreams the parents had for that 8 year old kid??? In India nobody will have an answer to that. :((

Wow jeez, so much self hatred. Are you trying to "open our eyes" here? Or maybe you are bring the "truth" to the ignorant lot defending Indians being brutalized by racist pricks overseas?

In India nobody will have an "answer" to what? No offense but that's retarded, your post has nothing at all to do with Indians defending Indians against racist fucks in other countries. What next? You are going to guilt trip us into accepting our "place" in front of our superior white masters by telling how barbaric us Indians are?

Hey guys, India, the third world (still progressing) nation.. the biggest democracy with shitload of religions (and extremist crap that comes with them is) has crime. Now that you know we have crime let's spend time finding answers to retarded questions and forget defending other Indians being killed or beaten by the superior race abroad. [/sarc]

PS: What Indian media is doing is something worthwhile for a change, if you still don't get it. Ratings or no ratings at least it is better than self loathing citizens painting pathetic picture of their own motherland. Now THAT'S sad.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles