Proverbs, Sayings etc. in any of the languages/cultures of India

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
This thread for proverbs etc etc in any of the languages of India.

India has a rich tradition in this dept.

Add a translation/explanation of your proverb in English, so everyone can understand.

Also if possible and if you know, an English equivalent.

Bharat Ek Khoj

Good thread, I wanted to start an entire website for this. I will collect from here, shared in diff. languages.
The simple one is jaise ko tesa = tit for tat.

Another one In Gujarati,
દૂધ નો દાજીયો છાસ પણ ફૂંકી ફૂંકી ને પીવે
But, I'm finding hard to translate, may be @VIP or @Johny_Baba can translate it.

(don't try google translate, it has the funniest translation )

By the way @Razor, you yourself didn't add any proverb.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Good thread, I wanted to start an entire website for this. I will collect from here, shared in diff. languages.
The simple one is jaise ko tesa = tit for tat.

Another one In Gujarati,
દૂધ નો દાજીયો છાસ પણ ફૂંકી ફૂંકી ને પીવે
But, I'm finding hard to translate, may be @VIP or @Johny_Baba can translate it.

(don't try google translate, it has the funniest translation )

By the way @Razor, you yourself didn't add any proverb.
:)

Tamizh
Errumpu oorak kallum theyum: (Literal)The work of ants can wear off stones.
==>Persistence pays.

Malayalam
Pen chollu kettavanu peruvazhil aadhaaram: (Literal) Listening to a woman puts you on the street.
==> People who are easily talked, with sweet words, into doing things will soon find themselves stripped off their belongings/wealth.

Tamizh:
Mayirai katti malaiye izhu; vanthal malaey ponal mayir: (Literal) Tie a hair and pull a mountain; you either gain a mountain or lose a hair.
==> No harm in trying if you have nothing/less to lose. Do not hesitate to attempt.

Malayalam:
Eliye pedichu illam chudaruthu: (Literal) Don't burn your house to smoke out a rat (in fear of the rat.)
==> Use solutions appropriate to the problem. Don't overdo.

Athikam aayal amrithamum visham: (Literal) Even Amritham(Elixir) is poison in excess amounts.
==> Everything in moderation.

Last edited:

Project Dharma

meh
Country flag
ਬੱਕਰੀ ਦੁੱਧ ਦਿੰਦੀ ਹੈ ਪਰ ਮੀਂਗਣਾਂ ਪਾ ਕੇ

Bakri duddh dendi hai par meengna paa ke

Literal: The goat produces milk but also shits in it

Used when somebody does what you are saying but after crying and bitching a lot

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Glad someone started the thread.

I have some in my mothertongue Gujarati.

(1.)Raandayaa Pacchinu Dahaapan
-Coming to senses when everything is lost.

(2.)Na MAMA kartaa Kano MAMO saro.
-"Nahi mama se achchha kaana mama".
-Better something than nothing.

(3.)Gaanda naa gaam na hoy.
-"Paagalo ke gaav denkhe?"
-Fool men are everywhere.

(4.)Jeno raaja Vepaari teni praja Bhikhaari.
-Fits exactly on communists.It translates as "When government does business people becomes poor"

(5.)Ramraajya tya Praja sukhi.
-do i need to translate this?

(6.)Bhens Aagal Bhaagvat karvi.
-Explaining something to a fool.

(7.)Mullah ni dod Masjid Sudhi.
-er..hard to translate.."Mullah would run long to masjid (only)." so used for someone who would toil only for his interested things.

(8.)Paarku Lakhaan,Paarki Shahi,Paarko Kaagal ne mattu maare Maavjibhai.
-funny to translate..means "Someone who becomes (or try to becomes) famous on others deeds".

(9.)Oont nu mau Maarwad taraf.
-"Camel glances toward Maarwad (or say,Arabia).
-used for someone who often looks for his interests in every thing.

(10.)Khaatar paadvu.
-stealing or cracking in someone's property.

(12.)Chhaana thaapva
-"throwing bullshit (on someone)
and
Maachhalaa dhova
-"Washing fish (on someone and hence making him stink)
--->Blame someone

(13.)Punjaab ma jai ne patri vechavi.
-(pardon me,but translation is offensive to punjabi brothers.)"Selling razors in Punjab".(I hope you can get me...:crazy:)
-->doing something 'Meaningless'.

i can fill up whole thread for Gujarati proverbs/Sayings etc. but here's a ebook you can refer if you'd like to get more.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/...raha_or_A_Collection_of_Gujarati_Proverbs.pdf

the wolf

Country flag
Some proverbs from telugu
చేతులు కాలినాక ఆకులు పట్టుకున్నట్లుLiteral: Chethulu kaalinaaka aakulu pattukunnatluTranslation: (no point in) holding medicinal leaves after burning one's handsMeaning: One should be careful and not touch fire in the first place. What is the point of holding (or rubbing) medicinal leaves after burning the hands?Moral: Prevention is better than cure

Mohamataniki poyi munda kadupu techukundanta

It is to criticise some one who is too shy & submissive. It literally translates to "being too submissive, a widow gets pregnant". It is to be understood that an Indian widow, in olden days was not supposed to get married again. This proverb is used when some one is too submissive & succumbs to others demands or orders against his own will.

Kukka katuki cheppu debba

kukka katuki cheppu debba - కుక్క కాటుకి చెప్పు దెబ్బThe meaning of this proverb is that one should respond with appropriate measure to any unethical or unreasonable action by your opponent instead of being submissive or cowered.

Literal translation: Kukka katu = a dogs bite, cheppu = footwear, debba = slap,hit.

An equivalent saying in english would be ' Tit for tat'.

Thinninti vaasaalu lekkapettu

Thinninti vaasaalu lekkapettu - తిన్నింటి వాసాలు లెక్కపెట్టుThis proverb is used when someone who is trusted and helped by a person , cheats his/her benefactor.

The origin of the proverb is rooted in the telugu folklore. The background of the proverb comes from the relationship of a host and a guest. If a stranger is given hospitality by a kind person, s/he starts counting the vasaalu( bamboo bars) used in the construction of a house/thatched hut. It means that after having his/her meals the person is eyeing for something more.

Thinniti=Host's housevaasaalu=Bamboo barslekkapettu=counting

Sent from my MotoG3-TE using Tapatalk

Krusty

Country flag
@Razor briliant thread. Do you think Thirukkural would find a place here? :) I know it's a bit Long, but still.. or is it like word of mouth sayings only ?

Last edited:

F-14B

#iamPUROHIT
Country flag
Chottilya sheelam chodala vara
Translation: habits of the cradle shall last till the grave
Jathyia gunam thuta marilya
The habits of your caste shall not go away from you even if you wipe them away

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Glad someone started the thread.

I have some in my mothertongue Gujarati.

(1.)Raandayaa Pacchinu Dahaapan
-Coming to senses when everything is lost.

(2.)Na MAMA kartaa Kano MAMO saro.
-"Nahi mama se achchha kaana mama".
-Better something than nothing.

(3.)Gaanda naa gaam na hoy.
-"Paagalo ke gaav denkhe?"
-Fool men are everywhere.

(4.)Jeno raaja Vepaari teni praja Bhikhaari.
-Fits exactly on communists.It translates as "When government does business people becomes poor"

(5.)Ramraajya tya Praja sukhi.
-do i need to translate this?

(6.)Bhens Aagal Bhaagvat karvi.
-Explaining something to a fool.

(7.)Mullah ni dod Masjid Sudhi.
-er..hard to translate.."Mullah would run long to masjid (only)." so used for someone who would toil only for his interested things.
I like this one esp. :pft:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
@Razor briliant thread. Do you think Thirukkural would find a place here? :) I know it's a bit Long, but still.. or is it like word of mouth sayings only ?
Please go ahead. The Thirukural is an excellent, beautiful source. I'll have to dig it up too.

After all Thirukural means Divine Voice/Sayings.

Krusty

Country flag
Please go ahead. The Thirukural is an excellent, beautiful source. I'll have to dig it up too.

After all Thirukural means Divine Voice/Sayings.
I'll post word of mouth proverbs.

It's only after I try to find it, I realise finding good English translation of thirukkural is very hard o_O

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
I'll post word of mouth proverbs.

It's only after I try to find it, I realise finding good English translation of thirukkural is very hard o_O
I was hoping you would do it, so I can concentrate on the easier ones we might use in day2day hehe :D

I guess I'll take up a copy of the TK and give it a try, when I have some free time.

Krusty

Country flag
I was hoping you would do it, so I can concentrate on the easier ones we might use in day2day hehe :D

I guess I'll take up a copy of the TK and give it a try, when I have some free time.
Ok I should have been more clear. My bad. I'll post word of mouth sayings for now. While I try to find a good site for thirukkural. I'll post it as and when I come across good translations :biggrin2: .

Please don't stick to just one. try both.

I'll start with something most DFI'ians will relate to :bplease:

Tamil: ஆடுர மாட்ட ஆடி கரக்கனும். பாடுர மாட்ட பாடி கரக்கனும். அடிச்சி கரக்குர மாட்ட, அடிச்சி தான் கரக்கனும்.

Lit: you have to sing to milk some cows, dance to milk some. But for some, you have to beat to milk them.

Meaning: for some situations/people/group, force is the only option. Nothing else will work.

Last edited:

Krusty

Country flag
Tamil :வல்லவனுக்கு புல்லும் ஆயுதம்

Lit: for the skilled/capable even a blade of grass is a weapon

Meaning: If you have the ability and talent, you can achieve success with whatever (minimal) resources available at your disposal.

Ok ill update this thread from home. It's kinda hard doing this over the phone :laugh:

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
I have heard this with little difference.
Instaed of kano, some say kahaano (means kehvaato mamo)
Yes.
The pronunciation (hence sometimes meaning) of some words changes in different dialects of same language.
Here i put the saying in my dialect which is Kaathiyawaadi.There are many dialects in Gujarati like Ahmedavadi,Surati,Kachchhi (Kachchhi is also a seperate language which is similar to Sindhi),Mahesani,Uttar Gujarati,Dakshin Gujarati,Kaathiyawaadi etc.

F-14B

#iamPUROHIT
Country flag
Kazhi vetta ayudham va vitta vazhka rundum tirichu edukan patilla

A wepon thrown from your hand and a word spoken in haste cannot be taken back

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Tamil :வல்லவனுக்கு புல்லும் ஆயுதம்

Lit: for the skilled/capable even a blade of grass is a weapon

Meaning: If you have the ability and talent, you can achieve success with whatever (minimal) resources available at your disposal.

Ok ill update this thread from home. It's kinda hard doing this over the phone :laugh:
Damnit How did I miss this one in my first post.
One of favs....

The Last Stand

Country flag
Some words of wisdom about education from the two Avvaiyars. (both were female poets).

கற்றது கை மண்ணளவு , கல்லாதது உலகளவு (only first line)
"Katrathu kai mannalavu, kallathathu ulagalavu."

Translation: What is learned is merely a handful of sand, and what's left is the rest of the world.

Actually from one of Avvaiyar's (sangam age) poems. I remembered it was in one of my old Tamil Books, and Voila, STD VII.
http://www.textbooksonline.tn.nic.in/Books/Std07/Std07-I-TamEng.pdf Pg50 with Tamil meaning

மன்னனும் மாசறக் கற்றோனும் சீர்தூக்கின்
மன்னனில் கற்றோன் சிறப்புடையன் – மன்னர்க்குத்
தன்தேசம் அல்லால் சிறப்பில்லை கற்றோற்குச்
சென்றஇடம் எல்லாம் சிறப்பு. (too good to not quote completely)
Mannanum masarak katronum seerthookin, mannanil katron sirappudaiyan. Mannarku thanthesamallal sirappillai, katrorku sendra idam ellam sirappu.

These days, only "Katrorku sellum idam ellam sirappu"

Translation: If we compare the King with a well-educated man (mentioned as a man of flawless education in the poem), the man is superior. The King is not special anywhere outside his kingdom, but the educated man is held in high esteem wherever he is.
http://www.edubilla.com/tamil/moothurai/ song 26 (Chola Age Avvaiyar)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tamil has no lack of beautiful poems. Sorry for a long post.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles