President of Mauritius cries on return to bihar

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
President of Mauritius sheds a happy tear as he returns to his family's Bihar village

Overcome with emotion, Mauritius President Rajkeswur Purryag broke down after arriving in the "land of his forefathers" - a nondescript village of Bihar - on Sunday.

"I salute this land from where my ancestors had migrated to Mauritius about 150 years ago," a tearful Purryag said at a civic reception organised in his honour.

He told the gathering, at Wajitpur village in the Masaurhi sub-division of Patna district, "I am very happy to be here but I have turned emotional too."

Purryag, who was accompanied by his wife Anitah Purryag, shed tears over the sentimental reunion while addressing the villagers, who turned up in large numbers to see the man who rose from an extremely poor family to become the President of a country.

The President said: "On this occasion, all my pores remembers my great grandfather who had left this village behind and gone to Mauritius."

Recounting the ordeal of his forefathers, the visiting President said his grandfather and many others from the state were lured by the British to Mauritius in the name of better future.

"They were told that they would find gold beneath the rocks there," he said.

Purryag added: "Our forefathers did not get any gold but they worked hard enough to turn Mauritius into an independent nation. They faced abject poverty and even had to sleep on empty stomachs on many occasions."

With moist eyes, Purryag said when his forefathers left for Mauritius, they took Bihar and India with them in their hearts.

"This is why India and Mauritius are not bound merely by their bilateral ties; they have the relationship of two brothers," he said.

Calling upon the people of Bihar to shun casteism and forge ahead on the road to development by focusing on education, he said Mauritius had remained poor until 40 to 50 years ago. However, it attained progress through unity of its people and education.

Speaking in Hindi, Purryag said Bihar's development under chief minister Nitish Kumar was being talked about everywhere these days.

Purryag said that he had come to Bihar 25 years ago in search of his village but could not find it.

"It is because of the efforts of Nitish and his government that I have reached here."

Nitish, who was present on the occasion, said his government has decided to name an upcoming high school as well as a pond in the village after the visiting dignitary.

He said it was a matter of great pride that people from Bihar had risen to the post of President in a foreign country by dint of their hard work and talent.

The village was in festive mood throughout the day.

President of Mauritius sheds a happy tear as he returns to his family's Bihar village | Mail Online

ganesh177

Country flag
Didnt knew prez of mauritius was indian.
Can the indian govt use this leverage to take the relations between 2 nations to another level, and established the permanant footheld in mauritius.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Can the indian govt use this leverage to take the relations between 2 nations to another level, and established the permanant footheld in mauritius.
It's already at that level.

BTW Mauritius is one of the biggest foreign investors in India :D

Amount of money invested from there = amount of black money made by Indians stashed abroad coming back to India :D

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I hope the president told the gathering that his country people pay for bus tickets and follow laws, rules and regulations.

JBH22

Majority of mauritians are from Indian origin around 48% are Hindus.

Note that the PM is Navinchandra Ramgoolam Indian origin as most of his cabinet.

The people from Indian origin there worked hard from scratch to leave its footprint in all aspects of Mauritian life don't limit your views to BOllywood stills :p

JBH22

I hope the president told the gathering that his country people pay for bus tickets and follow laws, rules and regulations.
This subsidy for bus ticket applies for old people and students :)

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
This subsidy for bus ticket applies for old people and students :)
Well Laloo use to say trains are public property don't pay the fares. I am not talking about subsidies. Well train fares are subsidized anyway and still they don't pay.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Janani Janmabhoomischa Swargadapi Gariyashi.....

Mother and motherland are like heavan .....

JBH22

Well Laloo use to say trains are public property don't pay the fares. I am not talking about subsidies. Well train fares are subsidized anyway and still they don't pay.
Yes its fully paid by govt for old persons and students last reported amount for that was Mur 800 Mio.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Was fortunate enough to be part of the engineering team looking after Mr Purryag during his Delhi visit, a very simple man indeed!

On a side note not only Mauritius but Indian Laborers and farmers were taken in droves to many countries under the rule of the British empire after the British parliament outlawed slavery to work as very low paid labor, as we worked for pittances and were perceived to be much less unruly than Africans.Later on many Indians were also asked to immigrate to work with the British Civil service in South East Asia!

Very politically powerful Indian Communities can be found in much of the West Indies, in fact Guyana has bhojpuri as a parliamentary language, also Fiji and Madagascar and much of Africa and South East Asia!

Country flag
There are many people all over the globe from Fiji,Guyana,Trinidad,Surinam,many African countries
many have retained their cultural identity and expressed a desire to keep a connection with their
Indian roots I am sure the Government can do a lot more to attract the 40 million + Indian diaspora.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles