Poverty in Finland on rise

Voldemort

Country flag
A new study says that one in ten Finns are poor and that the gap between the very rich and those living in poverty is on the increase. A social policy professor at the University of Turku, Veli-Matti Ritakallio says that those especially hard hit by poverty are families with children, single parents and people who live on their own.

"Money running out a few days before the next payout day is typical for a poor family," Riitakallio says. "Bills remain unpaid and the personal economic situation becomes more difficult to handle."

Also young adults are hit particularly hard, he says.

"In the past young adulthood was seen as an opportunity to get a job, start a family and buy an apartment," he says. "The future seemed appealing. Now, young adulthood is seen as a societal risk."

One reason behind the increase in poverty, Riitakallio says, is the cost of housing.

"In the greater Helsinki area, more than half or a third of poor people’s income goes towards rent," he says.

The University of Turku has examined poverty levels in Finland every five years since 1995.

http://yle.fi/uutiset/poverty_in_finland_on_rise/8340717

Voldemort

Country flag
Young adults among groups facing greatest risk of poverty

The national data cruncher Statistics Finland has estimated that in 2013 nearly 700,000 people in Finland could be classified as very low income earners. Young adults made up one-fifth of persons considered to most at risk of poverty.
Next to unemployed persons who represented 23 percent of people at the greatest risk of descending into poverty, young people aged 18 to 24 were most in danger of facing poverty, according to the latest data released by Statistics Finland. Altogether individuals aged 18 to 34 accounted for 45 percent of those most at risk of poverty.

The latest poverty data presented by Statistics Finland are from 2013, when the risk-of-poverty income threshold for households was 1,190 euros per month (14,260 euros per year). Income refers to cash after taxes and includes earned income, property income and transfers.

Statistics Finland defined "most-at-risk-of-poverty" groups as persons whose income was below 40 percent of the median income - or below 990 euros per month. This group included students aged 18 – 24 and persons unemployed for six months or more.

Groups deemed to be close to the risk of poverty had a disposable monthly income of between 990 and 1,190 euros per month. However individuals considered to be most at risk of poverty had monthly disposable incomes of less than 792 euros per month - the category into which many young and unemployed persons fell.

http://yle.fi/uutiset/young_adults_among_groups_facing_greatest_risk_of_poverty/7882863

jouni

I am not going to take part in this thread. I can manage being blinded, but I do not wish it to you.

Sylex21

I guess Finland will just have to live with having one of the highest quality of life ratings in the world, instead of simply being the very best. (sarcasm intended)

punjab47

महाबलामहावीर्यामहासत्यपराक्रमासर्वाग्रेक्षत्रियाजट
Banned
I always laughed reading the 'high livability ranking' of Canadian & Nordic cities. Only one who hasn't seen the -40 for months on end would call it 'livable'

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
I always laughed reading the 'high livability ranking' of Canadian & Nordic cities. Only one who hasn't seen the -40 for months on end would call it 'livable'
Cannot agree more.

The nordic place is not liveable. The habitat is not for Humans. But so called modernisation has made us blind that we run after it. Without any artificial support life becomes hell there.

In India there is no such problem. Multiple climates and nature provides everything that we need not to run after artificial things.

Sylex21

Haha I laughed and thought about my childhood in Canada and the 8 months of winter, and then I saw you were from Canada and it made me laugh even harder. I do miss tobogganing though.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles