PLA 20 Years Behind U.S. Military

p2prada

If China is 20 years behind the US, then India is 30 years behind the US.

That effectively makes India 10 years behind China in military R&D. But we are catching up faster due to external help from JVs and exports as compared to China's relatively slower reverse engineering route.

10 years from now, we will see if this statistic is true or not.

aramsogo

High military spending made the Soviet citizens so poor because 25-30% of their national wealth was taken from their pockets. It is no different in DPRK when they take their wealth into the military except they are much poorer all around. The N. Korean won was redenominated two years ago by dropping two zeros to fight inflation. Of course Kim didn't let people turn in all there money which destroyed what little wealth they had. Inflation is what devalues a currency the most and DPRK has that in spades.
Like I said, the former Soviets are far wealthier today. We can talk about how Russian Jews took most of that new wealth, but that is another discussion.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Like I said, the former Soviets are far wealthier today. We can talk about how Russian Jews took most of that new wealth, but that is another discussion.
Like I said inflation is what devalues currency the most and USSR had historically low inflation. Soviet wealth was in the social benefits they received which were far higher than today. We can talk about economics all day but it is a losing prospect for you.

aramsogo

Like I said inflation is what devalues currency the most and USSR had historically low inflation. Soviet wealth was in the social benefits they received which were far higher than today. We can talk about economics all day but it is a losing prospect for you.
Lol, Keep telling yourself that. Soviets had historically low inflation??? Are you nuts?? The shelves were bare. People lined up to buy goods. Price controls does not equal low real inflation. You know next to zero. You must have gone to a 3rd tier French school.

Vladimir79

Professional
My dear misguided Chinese friend, please take a note from history and experience. The communist method of battling inflation was to set price controls and raise wages accordingly. The Kremlin often made fun of Western inflation levels while having virtually none on its books. This leads to high prices for shoddy goods and low overhead inflation which formed a black market for European goods sneaking across the border. As a former citizen of the CCCP, I can vouch for the buying power of my parents. The average family made $350 a month in the early seventies and $500 in the late eighties before Perestroika deregulated the market. There were no food shortages before Gorby. There was no unemployment, there was no unpaid labour, there was no cheap pension or tiered healthcare or overcharged university. You were socially taken care of, you just lived below a middle class life unless you made it into the party. Life for middle class Russians now is better than it ever was and that class is growing, but it is still a minority. For the masses, life was better monetarily for Soviet citizens, especially those living in the impoverished FSU states that are not Russia.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
If Russia is a victim of failed Soviet policies those impoverished FSU states are bigger losers. They were swallowed by the Soviet behemoth only to be spitted out later in tatters.

Thai

20 years?

i think 35 is more correct.

Exactly 30,40 years ! Is the gap between US and China military technology ! Up to now some high tech such as aeronautical engine, avionics, weapon guidance,laser ....China is still in first steps . We should assess in deep view not by outside shape.

Last edited:

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
This is not an sensible debate, India is ahead in some spheres like Naval Ship building where we already started building our own Carrier,While China has just refurbished an Russian ship, we are also ahead in certain Spheres like Digital Avionics, Composites, Cruise Missiles and few other things but China is over all ahead of India in a lot of other spheres but the Gap is not to far open, I would say it is about 6 to 7 years and India can catch up thanks to more open assess to technology and JVs.

nimo_cn

Country flag
This is not an sensible debate, India is ahead in some spheres like Naval Ship building where we already started building our own Carrier,While China has just refurbished an Russian ship, we are also ahead in certain Spheres like Digital Avionics, Composites, Cruise Missiles and few other things but China is over all ahead of India in a lot of other spheres but the Gap is not to far open, I would say it is about 6 to 7 years and India can catch up thanks to more open assess to technology and JVs.
I would rather say India is ahead of China in every sphere.

amoy

I think Vladimir was telling what some Chinese life was like in 1980s too which our parents lived through. Low inflation, low income and some were 'socially' taken care of.

tony4562

Tihar Jail
Banned
Comparing India's shipbuilding capability with China's is absurd. China builds like 30 million tons of ships a year (presently the largest ship-building nation), ranging from bulk-carriers, large oil tankers, large container ships to speciality ships like LNG carriers and drilling platforms, etc. Also in terms of military warships, not only China builds them fast, unlike indian counterparts they also feature a very high amount of indigenous systems (you can compare 052C with Dehli, or 054A with P17). On indian warships, besides the crew, I'm not sure what else is really indigenous to india.

But I do agree that PLA is a lot more than 20 years behind the US, but who is not? Even US's NATO buddies like Britain and France are so far-behind America, any comparison would be laughable. F-22 is a 3rd gen stealth fighter, Eurofighter and Rafale on the other hand, are not even gen 1. In Iraq and Afghanistan, british servicemen often feel ashamed when fighting along side Americans from the fact that the equipment they carry are completely outclassed by the Americans.

Country flag
India does not go for 100% indigenous systems for a few reasons:

The need is now and it would take too long to develop
Buying systems build ties with other nations that builds trade
Buying systems also standardizes systems with other nations and forges alliances

tony4562

Tihar Jail
Banned
India does not go for 100% indigenous systems for a few reasons:

The need is now and it would take too long to develop
Buying systems build ties with other nations that builds trade
Buying systems also standardizes systems with other nations and forges alliances
Of course India does not go for 100% indigenous systems, presently she does not even go for 30% indigenous systems.

Country flag
Of course India does not go for 100% indigenous systems, presently she does not even go for 30% indigenous systems.
Development is too time consuming, but India is getting involved in more Joint developments and partnerships.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
What is the need for this Sarcasm? You come here to tell that China is better than India and when Indian members get back at you, you become defensive. India is not more advanced than China and whatever advancements china has made we can catch up soon, that is also the truth.

Blackwater

Meri nimo rani. India is definitely ahead of china in English speaking. Rest in other fields, we are closing in. Our economy opened in 1992 as compare to yours in 60s or 70s. Give us little more time, ab bache ki jaan loge....

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Comparing India's shipbuilding capability with China's is absurd. China builds like 30 million tons of ships a year (presently the largest ship-building nation), ranging from bulk-carriers, large oil tankers, large container ships to speciality ships like LNG carriers and drilling platforms, etc. Also in terms of military warships, not only China builds them fast, unlike indian counterparts they also feature a very high amount of indigenous systems (you can compare 052C with Dehli, or 054A with P17). On indian warships, besides the crew, I'm not sure what else is really indigenous to india.

Your points are all absurd and Could you stick to the topic? We are discussing gap in defence

But I do agree that PLA is a lot more than 20 years behind the US, but who is not? Even US's NATO buddies like Britain and France are so far-behind America, any comparison would be laughable. F-22 is a 3rd gen stealth fighter, Eurofighter and Rafale on the other hand, are not even gen 1. In Iraq and Afghanistan, british servicemen often feel ashamed when fighting along side Americans from the fact that the equipment they carry are completely outclassed by the Americans.
Your points are all absurd and Could you stick to the topic? We are discussing gap in defense technology not commercial shipping. India is building its own Carrier and China is not, that is the discussion here and as for our Radars, we could put up an Indian radar but it wont be up to spec, since our Armed forces demand NATO type quality we go in for JVs and so our equipment like Ship Radars is qualitatively much more advanced than China's. Also our defence technology is not far behind China in any stretch of imagination.

Last edited:

tony4562

Tihar Jail
Banned
Your points are all absurd and Could you stick to the topic? We are discussing gap in defense technology not commercial shipping. India is building its own Carrier and China is not, that is the discussion here and as for our Radars, we could put up an Indian radar but it wont be up to spec, since our Armed forces demand NATO type quality we go in for JVs and so our equipment like Ship Radars is qualitatively much more advanced than China's. Also our defence technology is not far behind China in any stretch of imagination.
Your defence technology, particularly in the regard of producing it, lags far behind China, something many of you staunchly refuse to recognize. Indians's refusal to recognize the success of east asian nations in general (i've seen frequent derogatory comments by indians towards japanese, koreans as well as chinese of course) is a major reason why India is where India is today, and why east asian nations are where they are. Modesty goes a long way, it's a simple concept not yet understood by Indians. I hope it is a cultural trait, and not related to IQ.

tony4562

Tihar Jail
Banned
Meri nimo rani. India is definitely ahead of china in English speaking. Rest in other fields, we are closing in. Our economy opened in 1992 as compare to yours in 60s or 70s. Give us little more time, ab bache ki jaan loge....

If I remember correctly, China was undergoing a tumultuous period called cultural revolution in the 60's and 70's. China was more stalinist than N.Korea is today. I think many of you guys need a crash course in history.

Also it is completely errorneous to say that India only opened up in 1992. Before China embraced reforms, China was as I said, a stalinist state where every form of private enterprise was outlawed. May I ask you was India like that before 1992? In many ways India was more liberal 20, 30 years ago than China is today, your argument therefore amounts to nothing but an excuse for Inida's failure to develop.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles