Pizza is now a Vegetable : US Congress

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
Pizza Now Counts As A Vegetable, According To Congress : Gothamist

Great news for the youth of America: the government, which may very well be run by cheese-loving 12-year-olds, has decided that pizza totally counts as a vegetable.

A spending bill pushed through this week with a little help from frozen food manufacturers, the salt industry, potato growers and conservatives who don't think the government should be telling kids what to eat declares the following: two tablespoons of tomato paste shall count as a vegetable
:heh:

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
How Pizza Became A Vegetable Through The Magic Of Influence-Peddling

On Tuesday, Congress decided that pizza is a vegetable. I have to imagine that this news instilled confusion in many Americans, as many Americans are (a) familiar with pizza, (b) familiar with vegetables and (c) sane.

But, to provide specifics that will in no way dispel your lingering thoughts that we are governed by morons but at least allow you some anthropological insight into how a group of morons who have been given permission to sit in a fancy room in Washington, D.C., and grunt at each other actually think, here is their thinking: Pizza is a vegetable for the purposes of determining what goes into public school lunches by virtue of the fact that pizza traditionally includes a schmear of tomato paste. (Botanically speaking, tomatoes are actually fruit, but we're going to have to just let that slide.)

At any rate, you may still be wondering how it came to pass that Congress arrived at the conclusion that pizza could count as a serving of vegetables. Wonder no more! Congress was guided along this path by lobbyists. And lobbyists can do all sorts of things, by magic! (Except provide nutritious lunches for children.)

Nutritionists say the whole effort is reminiscent of the Reagan administration's much-ridiculed attempt 30 years ago to classify ketchup as a vegetable to cut costs. This time around, food companies that produce frozen pizzas for schools, the salt industry and potato growers requested the changes and lobbied Congress.

"School meals that are subsidized by the federal government must include a certain amount of vegetables," the AP reports, "and USDA's proposal could have pushed pizza-makers and potato growers out of the school lunch business." It would have pushed vegetable growers into the business, but their lobbyists aren't as powerful, it seems.

In addition to this, the move to classify pizza as a vegetable gained traction because of popular, reality-transforming political philosophies on the role of government.

Piling on to the companies' opposition, some conservatives argue that the federal government shouldn't tell children what to eat. In a summary of the bill, Republicans on the House Appropriations Committee said the changes would "prevent overly burdensome and costly regulations and ... provide greater flexibility for local school districts to improve the nutritional quality of meals."

This sort of makes it sound like local school districts would be serving heirloom tomatoes and quinoa if the federal government just got out of the way. At any rate, I'd recommend that you remember this the next time you hear someone say that the government should get out of the business of "picking winners and losers." (Winner: salt! Loser: fighting obesity!)

Here's a fun fact! If a child incorrectly identifies "pizza" as a "vegetable" on a standardized test, there's an entirely different group of lobbyists who will argue that public school teachers have failed America's children.

SPIEZ

Country flag
What about cheese, are they vegetables too ?

SPIEZ

Country flag
Actually I was searching for a good vegetarian food pyramid. :)

Eiffe

So, how will this bill affect the average american consumer? Will the pizzas become cheaper. :)

niharjhatn

Heh... the vegan police will not take my special powers from me if I eat pizza now :D

kayceeB

A well-balanced diet is the most important requirement for healthy living. Good nutrition helps reduce our risk of getting a large number of diseases, from diabetes to heart disease. Adjustments to school lunch plans might be obstructed. If Congressional votes take effect, these changes could be dead on arrival. School lunches are presently governed by the United States Department of Agriculture. However, rules allow for French fries and pizza to be counted as veggies. It was said that two tablespoons of tomato paste can count as a serving of vegetables. A slice of frozen pizza can include this amount of tomato sauce, which means that the school can count the cheese-and-sodium packed food as a vegetable.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
People who are pure vegetarians are also tend mental...atleast the majority of them

I have noticed this trend...they always tend to have absolute views on everything either on one extreme or the other.

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
People who are pure vegetarians are also tend mental...atleast the majority of them

I have noticed this trend...they always tend to have absolute views on everything either on one extreme or the other.
Are you a vegetarian, then? :troll:

(J.K)

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
That little boy in the second montage has got moves
Watch his vid on YT.
I know he moves nicely with the music, But what was not shown is how he breathing after outstanding preform acne..

Now days i see kids with potato chips and fired things and cold drink in their mouths, And Parents encourage it..

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles