Philippines : News and Discussion

Zebra

Country flag
Philippines proposes 29% defence budget increase

Jon Grevatt, Bangkok - IHS Jane's Defence Industry
31 July 2014

Philippine President Benigno Aquino has proposed a 2015 defence budget of PHP115.5 billion (USD2.6 billion), which according to official figures is a 29% increase over military spending in 2014.

A government statement said the proposed defence budget - announced on 30 July - amounts to 4.4% of total government spending for 2015 and 0.8% of GDP....

Philippines proposes 29% defence budget increase - IHS Jane's 360

Oblaks

First defense eco-zone in Southeast Asia to be established in Philippines
First defense economic zone in Southeast Asia will soon be established in Bataan, Philippines where Government Arsenal is located. Government Arsenal is providing government security forces from Armed Forces of the Philippines and Philippine National Police with basic weapons, ammunition and other munitions. As
“There are a lot of defense companies lining up to come in, according to [Government Arsenal] Director Jonathan Martir. We’re just waiting for the Presidential proclamation for the incentives,” Bataan Governor Albert Garcia said as quoted by Philistar.com
With 350 hectares of land, the arsenal was originally envisioned to be a center for defense industries to meet domestic requirements and supply the world market, but the impediments under existing laws prevented any real progress in this direction, the Government Arsenal said on its website.
There were rumors before that American defense companies liker raatheon and lockheed martin would begin manufacturing in the Philippines. I guess where there is smoke, there is fire.

http://www.angmalaya.net/nation/201...utheast-asia-to-be-established-in-philippines

Last edited:

Oblaks

Obama to give PH 2 warships
Donations focus US efforts to counter China

Read more: http://globalnation.inquirer.net/131496/obama-to-give-ph-2-warships#ixzz3roxN23q
The first of two Vessels pledged by Obama under the excess defense articles. The USS Melville is a research vessel which would eventually be used to explore Reed bank at the West Philippine Sea (SCS) and the Benham Rise in the Pacific

Philippine Navy’s first research vessel arrives to Manila

https://navaltoday.com/2016/06/10/philippine-navys-first-research-vessel-arrives-to-manila/

amoy

Philippines' President Elect: Public 'can kill' criminals

Earlier in the month, Duterte put bounty of up to 3 million Philippine pesos ($65,000) on drug lords -- which he upped to five million pesos ($108,000) in his most recent speech.

"I'm not saying that you kill them, but the order is 'dead or alive,'" he said.

With less than a month left before he assumes office, Duterte said he will take a tough stance on corrupt cops.

"[To] all police who have cases and are wanted now, if you are still involved in drugs, I will kill you," he said, according to a CNN Philippines translation. "Don't take this as a joke. I'm not making you laugh. Son of a bitch, I will kill you."

He also demanded the resignation of three police generals, but refused to state their names publicly.

"Do not wait for me to name you in public because I will only humiliate you," he said.

prohumanity

Country flag
Strangely, these boards are silent on tectonic shift happening in Phillipines. President Duerterte's China visit
and "separation" from US is a shocking revelation. (watch the video on youtube "Dueterte in China'")
This is a very big shift in foreign policy of Phillipines to align itself with China, Russia and Japan and distance itself from West. He has given an ultimatum that all western military forces will be out of Phillipines within next 2 years. A development worth watching as Phillipines is supposed to be the closest western ally in South China Sea area.

charlie

Country flag
Strangely, these boards are silent on tectonic shift happening in Phillipines. President Duerterte's China visit
and "separation" from US is a shocking revelation. (watch the video on youtube "Dueterte in China'")
This is a very big shift in foreign policy of Phillipines to align itself with China, Russia and Japan and distance itself from West. He has given an ultimatum that all western military forces will be out of Phillipines within next 2 years. A development worth watching as Phillipines is supposed to be the closest western ally in South China Sea area.
I was talking to a Filipino guy and he was saying that the almost every one back in their country are really happy with what their President did with criminals and he has public support like no other President every had in Phillipines.

prohumanity

Country flag
Yes. A woman from Phillipines said to me that her country needs someone like Duterte to wipe out corruption, greed and crime in her nation. People are fed up with internal problems and are angry so they elected Duterte.
He is seen as tough, honest and capable of taking strong action against criminals, drug dealers and corrupt govt officials. To me he seems impulsive and risky as he is trying to rebalance foreign policy too abruptly.

s002wjh

Country flag
Time will tell but one trip to China for him got ph fisher man back to area that was under China control and $24 billion investment. Something previous ph president couldn't do

prohumanity

Country flag
I watch Dueterte speeches on youtube....very interesting and informative....he seems determined and unwavering
seems he thinks he has nothing to lose...by saying whats on his mind. Keep watching..its amusing too.

Cutting Edge 2

Space Power
‘I’ve seen America, it’s lousy’: Duterte vows never to visit US

“There will never be a time that I will go to America during my term, or even thereafter,”

“I've seen America and it's lousy,”

“It would be good for the US Congress to start with their own investigation of their own violations of the so many civilians killed in the prosecution of the wars in the Middle East, Otherwise I will be forced to investigate you also. I will start with your past sins.”

https://www.rt.com/news/397116-duterte-lousy-america-sins/

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles