Pakistan opens Karachi port, allows Indian export to Afghanistan

ejazr

Ambassador
First time, Pakistan opens Karachi port to let India - Indian Express

In a quiet, yet significant, exception to its transit policy for Indian goods, Pakistan has let Indian wheat pass through its territory to Afghanistan.

Source said about 100,000 tonnes of wheat have, for the first time, moved over the past few months from Kandla to Karachi and from there by rail and road to Torkham, the transit point on the Pakistan-Afghanistan border. This is part of the 250,000 tonnes of wheat India has pledged as assistance to Afghanistan.

Officially, South Block officials explained that this cannot be considered as a change in Pakistan's stand as the arrangement has been tied up in a manner to show that Afghanistan is picking up its consignment of wheat from Kandla. Technically, Afghanistan is using Pakistan for transit, not India and that is how a major obstacle was circumvented.

But on the ground, sources said, the trading activity is being carried out by Indian shipping agents who deliver the goods at Karachi, from where Pakistani transport agencies take over and deliver it at Torkham. "We have just told the Afghans to make arrangements from Torkham. Let's not forget Karachi is a busy commercial trading port and all this moves very smoothly as regular commerce, unless there is political interference," explained an insider privy to the details.

Afghanistan and Pakistan have entered into a trade and transit agreement, which was not extended to India due to Islamabad's concerns. However, it does allow Afghanistan duty-free access on a list of goods across Torkham and Chaman transit points.

Pakistan, it may be noted, has repeatedly refused transit of Indian goods through its territory even though they qualified under humanitarian assistance to Afghanistan. The problem was so acute at the start, right after the fall of the Taliban, that wheat consignments would even rot by the time they reached Afghanistan through a circuitous route via Iran.

To avoid this, India entered into an understanding with Afghanistan under which the wheat would be used to make fortified biscuits and then transported to Kabul. These biscuits were then distributed in schools in attractive packets bearing the India label. While this worked to quite an extent, larger problems occurred with transporting goods and material for infrastructure projects.

For instance, the project to lay transmission lines for bringing electricity to Kabul from the Uzbekistan border overshot its deadline by a few years because of the delay in transporting transformers and transmission poles. In fact, India had to carry out one of its largest airlift operations to move five mega transformers from Delhi to Kabul. India has tried to work out an alternate route through Iran, but the project at Chabahar has been moving slowly due to various other political reasons.

Despite these practical difficulties which adversely affected Afghanistan too, Pakistan never showed any flexibility. It continued to rely on the old logic that easier access for Indian goods was incongruent with Pakistan's own national security interests. While Islamabad has far from overcome that mindset, sources said, these were initial signs of fresh thinking in Pakistan despite its unpredictable domestic political scenario.

New Delhi, in fact, has been quite surprised by the response from the Zardari-Gilani government. In the past year, the two sides have made remarkable progress on the trade front with Islamabad taking an important step to move from a positive to a negative list of items, moving forward on the most favoured nation issue and also exchanging high-level visit to resolve contentious issues. At Pakistan's request, India too has made a cautious start at resuming back-channel talks.

Galaxy

Country flag
Don't read too much in diplomacy. It's high time that India breaks all relation with Pakistan. Any relation with Terrorist Islamic republic of Pakistan is "Gaspillage de temps" and Any person who supports "Aman ki Asha" should be deported to Pakistan via Samjhota Express-II.

mayfair

Great...Pakhanis must be rubbing their hands in glee in anticipation of more maal-e-ghanimat

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Don't read too much in diplomacy. It's high time that India breaks all relation with Pakistan. Any relation with Terrorist Islamic republic of Pakistan is "Gaspillage de temps" and Any person who supports "Aman ki Asha" should be deported to Pakistan via Samjhota Express-II.
With an explosive package? :rofl: :rofl:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
I welcome this step, trade is the best way to normalize relationships.

Galaxy

Country flag
I welcome this step, trade is the best way to normalize relationships.
Normalize relation with terrorist country ? On one side, Normalize and on other side, They send Jihadi terrorist to do Bomb Blast regular interval. Thousands of people died and improve relation ? Sorry, You can do that but don't count every Indian in that list. By any chance, Are you part of "Aman ki Asha" group?

Last edited:

Tronic

We had just sent a shipment of 100,000 tonnes of wheat through the Iranian port of Chah Bahar, month or two ago; so why now Karachi?

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Once in a while mercy to Afghans for obvious reasons. I couldn't conclude anything different. So much has happened in the past 65 years that now even if a Pakistani Government (civil/military) wants to show a hand of friendship to India - it can't.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Normalize relation with terrorist country ? On one side, Normalize and on other side, They send Jihadi terrorist to do Bomb Blast regular interval. Thousands of people died and improve relation ? Sorry, You can do that but don't count every Indian in that list.
Chinese are arming rebel groups, gave Pakistan nuclear weapons, and have occupied vast swathes of India, yet we have normalized relations with them.

Anyways,

Do you think by completely severing relationship with Pakistan, can we end terrorism ?

What we are trying to do is to get leverage ; if Pakistanis realize trading with India will fuel their economy that will automatically deter terrorism.

Trade is a win win for both.

By any chance, Are you part of "Aman ki Asha" group?
I am part of Crazy for Bipasha. :p

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Chinese are arming rebel groups, gave Pakistan nuclear weapons, and have occupied vast swathes of India, yet we have normalized relations with them.

Anyways,

Do you think by completely severing relationship with Pakistan, can we end terrorism ?

What we are trying to do is to get leverage ; if Pakistanis realize trading with India will fuel their economy that will automatically deter terrorism.

Saar, when it comes to India, they come out with ghairat and all kinds of things. Pakis cannot be tackled with traditional rationale. We should know that after so many years.

Galaxy

Country flag

Anyways,

I do understand political compulsion/Diplomacy. To be very frank, If Government(any) trying to normalize relation with Pak. It's mere Diplomacy and i do understand the reason.

Terrorism will only end if we become aggressive on International stage and take care of Internal security. By Not raising POK issue and being soft on demanding of Top 20 terrorist, We are not doing any good. Pakistan will never stop supporting "Terrorism". If they are not doing it's because they are facing huge problem on west side and also Insurgency in Baluchistan and even Sindhe. But They always divert the country by going against India.

Most of the Anti-Indian Islamist living in Punjab freely and giving statement regularly. Why they are trying to have their some influence in Maldive and Bangladesh on the name of Islam? There was article that they are helping BNP+Jamaati to form government in 2013. Recent coup is also example. They didn't left their Anti-India Jihad, It's just they are doing slowly and secretly to hit back in future. We need to prepare for that. India and China can still become friend but It's impossible between Indo-Pak. Hatred is not because of issues but it's ideological. They will never leave Kashmir issue nor we can compromise. Tomorrow, Insurgency will rise in Sindh, Baluchistan. Do you think, They will not blame India? They will.

Like Amar Singh ? :rofl:

Last edited:

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
We had just sent a shipment of 100,000 tonnes of wheat through the Iranian port of Chah Bahar, month or two ago; so why now Karachi?
I think America is working behind it and they want India to be less cosy with Iranians.

As long as Afghanistan gets our wheat all routes are welcomed.India might have told the Americans the same.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
I don't understand this 'Aman Ki Asha' attitude that I keep seeing in many Indians. There is a saying: "fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!".

Shame on the Aman ki Asha types.

Have we not heard enough about "trade is the way forward". "Normalize relations for the stability of South Asia". "Don't kill the fledgling democracy movement in Pakhanastan". "Trade is the best way to end terrorism" :rage:

Have we not heard enough of these cliches? Are we not tired of them? We still continue with the same stupid hopes.

Carry on, build a dependence on the pakhanas by using them for transit, as opposed to Chahbar. Then, run around like headless chickens when the pakhanas block transit after the next terrorist attack.

Country flag
I don't understand this 'Aman Ki Asha' attitude that I keep seeing in many Indians. There is a saying: "fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!".

Shame on the Aman ki Asha types.

Have we not heard enough about "trade is the way forward". "Normalize relations for the stability of South Asia". "Don't kill the fledgling democracy movement in Pakhanastan". "Trade is the best way to end terrorism" :rage:

Have we not heard enough of these cliches? Are we not tired of them? We still continue with the same stupid hopes.

Carry on, build a dependence on the pakhanas by using them for transit, as opposed to Chahbar. Then, run around like headless chickens when the pakhanas block transit after the next terrorist attack.
No need to take these things too seriously it is just a way to buy time.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
You can still bomb the hell out of them, trade is like a switch; on or off is in your hand.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles