P Sundarajan is new Google CEO

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
India-born Sundar Pichai joins elite Indian-origin dozen heading 400 billion dollar business
New Delhi, Aug 11: As the new CEO of a re-organised Google, India-born Sundar Pichai has joined an elite league of over a dozen Indian origin persons holding top posts at global corporations with collective turnover of about USD 400 billion. In a significant restructuring at Google, Pichai has been named the new CEO of the technology giant after the company co-founder Larry Page announced the formation of a new umbrella firm Alphabet, of which Google will be a part. Page himself will be Alphabet CEO.

Pichai, 43, has joined the league of Indra Nooyi, Lakshmi Mittal, Ajay Banga, among many other Indian-origin persons at the helm at large conglomerates headquartered abroad. Meanwhile, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella, was the first to congratulate Pichai. Nadella tweeted on Pichai’s elevation at the company, writing in the micro-blogging site “Congrats @sundarpichai well deserved.” There are many other Indians heading the businesses at relatively smaller companies abroad, specially in IT sector, but at least 12 large companies have got India-born chief executives.

These include Microsoft (Satya Nadella), PepsiCo (Indra Nooyi), ArcelorMittal (Lakshmi Mittal), Diageo (Ivan Menezes), Reckitt Benckiser (Rakesh Kapoor), MasterCard (Ajay Banga), DBS Group Holdings (Piyush Gupta), SanDisk (Sanjay Mehrotra), Global Foundries (Sanjay Jha), Cognizant (Francisco Dsouza) and Adobe (Shantanu Narayen). International magazine Time once termed CEOs as India?s leading “export” and said that the subcontinent could be “the ideal training ground for global bosses”.

While Google reported a USD 66 billion revenue in 2014, Microsoft had recorded turnover of over USD 86 billion last year, PepsiCo’s annual revenue stood at nearly USD 67 billion in 2014, ArcelorMittal’s annual revenue stood at USD 79.26 billion, Diageo had USD 21 billion, Reckitt Benckiser USD 13.75 billion and SanDisk at USD 6.62 billion. In the past, giants like Citigroup, Vodafone, Motorola and Deutsche Bank have also had Indian-origin CEOs.

Moreover, former Google Executive Nikesh Arora, who is currently President of Japanese telecom major SoftBank, is likely to be its next CEO as SoftBank’s founder and chief executive Masayoshi Son has chosen Arora to be his successor. According to human resource experts, the significant rise of India-born executives at global companies can largely be attributed to the technical skills and the behavioural patterns which make them very much adaptable to any kind of situation they come across.

Experts believe that Indians' focus on good education and ability to work in difficult situations are aiding to this rising trend and more and more Indians could rise to top positions at global companies in near future.
http://www.india.com/news/world/ind...n-heading-400-billion-dollar-business-499659/

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Pichai was working out of Hyderabad google office as of last year, if I remember correctly he was working on Android one phones.

All the best for him!!!!

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
(1)
Congrats !!
But we need our own Google, Microsoft, Apple etc..etc...,
The wealth should be created here.
i liked your post ....allow me to re-phrase it slightly ? by replacing the but with and ....i.e. congrats AND we need our own ....firstly let's be appropriately grateful to usa for giving him opportunities that Indian co's didn't or rather couldn't do for him .... the usa posting gives him the media coverage he could never have gotten from an indian co ....secondly people like him need to re-link back with india and generate companies in india itself .

(2) im longing for the day when these quiet unassuming hard-working brothers ( and sisters) take over the political management of india from our wonderful sonias' and maya what's ( ?? ) !! and others who are building statues to themselves and stealthily exporting antiques out of the nation and they are in parliament ?

my justification for saying that includes the following :-
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-for-stalling-growth/articleshow/48433436.cms
quote; MUMBAI: India Inc has squarely blamed the opposition for stalling the passage of key legislation in Parliament ....end of quote
and
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...se-says-Arun-Jaitley/articleshow/48439821.cms
quote ...Rahul Gandhi was seen actively engaging with his MPs while Sonia Gandhi egged them on to ratchet up the protest. Rahul even went to several other parties such as NCP and TMC to drum up support and eventually garnered some. As MPs began tiring after hours of sloganeering, NCP's Supriya Sule was seen distributing throat soothing tablets while TMC, which had sat silently, stood up in solidarity with Congress. ...end of quote

hmmm .........compare that with the actual work being done by our hard-working indian people in tech companies !

ref @angeldude13 @anupamsurey @bose @brational @blueblood @Bangalorean @ersakthivel @Blackwater @bengalraider @cobra commando @DingDong @Hari Sud @Kunal Biswas @LETHALFORCE @mhk99 @Neil @OneGrimPilgrim @pmaitra @Rowdy @Sakal Gharelu Ustad @Srinivas_K @sorcerer @TejasMK3 @Yusuf @jackprince @Bangalorean @indiandefencefan @aliyah @hit&run @VIP @Razor @Blood+ @SANITY @Screambowl @Sylex21 @tsunami @Zebra

Srinivas_K

Country flag
I agree with you !

and also on the highlighted green part in your post.

(1)

i liked your post ....allow me to re-phrase it slightly ? by replacing the but with and ....i.e. congrats AND we need our own ....firstly let's be appropriately grateful to usa for giving him opportunities that Indian co's didn't or rather couldn't do for him .... the usa posting gives him the media coverage he could never have gotten from an indian co ....secondly people like him need to re-link back with india and generate companies in india itself .

(2) im longing for the day when these quiet unassuming hard-working brothers ( and sisters) take over the political management of india from our wonderful sonias' and maya what's ( ?? ) !! and others who are building statues to themselves and stealthily exporting antiques out of the nation and they are in parliament ?

my justification for saying that includes the following :-
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-for-stalling-growth/articleshow/48433436.cms
quote; MUMBAI: India Inc has squarely blamed the opposition for stalling the passage of key legislation in Parliament ....end of quote
and
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...se-says-Arun-Jaitley/articleshow/48439821.cms
quote ...Rahul Gandhi was seen actively engaging with his MPs while Sonia Gandhi egged them on to ratchet up the protest. Rahul even went to several other parties such as NCP and TMC to drum up support and eventually garnered some. As MPs began tiring after hours of sloganeering, NCP's Supriya Sule was seen distributing throat soothing tablets while TMC, which had sat silently, stood up in solidarity with Congress. ...end of quote

hmmm .........compare that with the actual work being done by our hard-working indian people in tech companies !

ref @angeldude13 @anupamsurey @bose @brational @blueblood @Bangalorean @ersakthivel @Blackwater @bengalraider @cobra commando @DingDong @Hari Sud @Kunal Biswas @LETHALFORCE @mhk99 @Neil @OneGrimPilgrim @pmaitra @Rowdy @Sakal Gharelu Ustad @Srinivas_K @sorcerer @TejasMK3 @Yusuf @jackprince @Bangalorean @indiandefencefan @aliyah @hit&run @VIP @Razor @Blood+ @SANITY @Screambowl @Sylex21 @tsunami @Zebra

brational

Country flag
@roma
Very good write-up. IMO we have the potential to create companies/products like Apple, MS, Google etc. in India but it is not practical to people like Satya Nadella, Sunder Pichai to come back to India start similar ventures.

We will get our Google and Microsoft once we start investing in R&D, Technology Adoption and Tech Ecosystem. Corruption in Grassroot level is the main reason that we have failed to create our own Technology solutions. Our young Engineers become corrupt till they reach the midlevel of their career. Moreover, we Indians are more inclined towards phorein maal than our desi solutions. Let Companies like Google and Microsoft hire Indians, create employment in India and let these Indians make their bosses richer.

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
I cannot express how proud I am feeling today. JAI HIND!!!!!!!!!

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
We will get our Google and Microsoft once we start investing in R&D, Technology Adoption and Tech Ecosystem.
Just curious, who is "We" in this sentence? i hope "We" does not mean "Indians", that is too generic a statement.

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
I don't how how influential will he be and how much people around him and shareholders will obey him. But its a good news.
If he does something good in regard with India then its fruitful.

one this must be done. Some pics from google regarding India must be removed. If you google a city's image, you will basically find the dirty streets , and slums on google. They intentionally show this. But google paris or amsterdam they will only show good. Of course I know many dirty streets and places worse than slums , stinking like anything.

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
I don't how how influential will he be and how much people around him and shareholders will obey him. But its a good news.

one this must be done. Some pics from google regarding India must be removed. If you google a city's image, you will basically find the dirty streets , and slums on google. They intentionally show this. But google paris or amsterdam they will only show good. Of course I know many dirty streets and places worse than slums , stinking like anything.
He does not own Google. He is just the CEO. The persons who really own the company are the major shareholders.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag

This is a misconception, These countries use professional companies to an extent to maintain their SEO webpage rankings. If Indian Govt don't do it, it's our fault. One of my friends used to work in a chennai company which used to get orders from american city local governments thru sub-contracting to enhance their web rankings, This is prior to 2008 meltdown.

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
This is a misconception, These countries use professional companies to an extent to maintain their SEO webpage rankings. If Indian Govt don't do it, it's our fault. One of my friends used to work in a chennai company which used to get orders from american city local governments thru sub-contracting to enhance their web rankings, This is prior to 2008 meltdown.
Well someone else also told me that it is government's job to do this. But you see, every time Google and some other websites land up showing a wrong map of India, even after GOI intervenes. This shows that google does not care. And why would they, they are doing only business. But since now the CEO is atleast Indian/Indian origin one can expect some favourable steps.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Well someone else also told me that it is government's job to do this. But you see, every time Google and some other websites land up showing a wrong map of India, even after GOI intervenes. This shows that google does not care. And why would they, they are doing only business. But since now the CEO is atleast Indian/Indian origin one can expect some favourable steps.
showing a wrong map is political issue, let's not mix this issue with technology.

SEO is a continuous process, There should be a dedicated team to regularly monitor this.i don't think stakes are so high for Indian Govt to invest in such kind of money for now. Once we cross 5 Trillion USD in GDP, necessity will automatically take care of this problem.

I don't expect many things from Pichai directly w.r.t India, he is a CEO. We have to stop assuming that just because he is indian, he would have indian people's interests at heart. we have to come out of this misconception.
we don't even know if he has the sufficient clout to influence the Google Board of directors.

We have to learn to limit our expectations from the guy, Let's not get overboard on this.....

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
showing a wrong map is political issue, let's not mix this issue with technology.

SEO is a continuous process, There should be a dedicated team to regularly monitor this.i don't think stakes are so high for Indian Govt to invest in such kind of money for now. Once we cross 5 Trillion USD in GDP, necessity will automatically take care of this problem.

I don't expect many things from Pichai directly w.r.t India, he is a CEO. We have to stop assuming that just because he is indian, he would have indian people's interests at heart. we have to come out of this misconception.
we don't even know if he has the sufficient clout to influence the Google Board of directors.

We have to learn to limit our expectations from the guy, Let's not get overboard on this.....
it is indeed political which is mixed with business. It harms the image of India and this is also not good for business.

Of course as seen completely technical , we have no big issues with them. Money can be spent on other priorities. But a short message must be given.

A CEO from France would never allow bad projection of his country. We can expect if not much but little from Indian atleast, eg: in case of recruitment, projects in India and more necessarily more R&D of google in India.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
It is the same "We" you mentioned in your posts..:india:
Fair enough....

i was trying to bring the distinction that It is not only the Govt's sole responsibility to create R&D infrastructure in india, Corporates will have to play their part. My experience is that most corporates in india, behave like family owned "lala" companies. Somehow and from some where they picked up this bad habit of running companies on a quarter to quarter basis without a over arching long term perspective plan. They just react to the changes and take advantage of market, but do not focus on any ground breaking innovative ideas. As long as corporates behave in a isolated fashion,we may not see any R&D infrastructure in india, they have to start getting aligned as verticals and invest in R&D as a group.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Congrats !!

But we need our own Google, Microsoft, Apple etc..etc...,

The wealth should be created here.
Sure we need but it's not gonna happen overnight.It's hardly a decade of internet that all this tech boom has started.

It's a big thing if an NRI type becomes CEO of biggies like MS/Google since it inspires a lot of people back home in India.We need to come out of the "serving" attitude and start innovation and investment.

There are lot of small startups coming up though not big but we would catch up slowly.This would also need a good backing by Govt which wants homegrown stuff.The current Govt has shown it's intrest toward this direction unlike previous one.

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
we have had housing.com and flipkart so there are some successes ...... hopefully more would follow.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles