Open letter to a delhi boy

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Failed to detect the sarcasm..?Yes its not the national language.

You tried once in the 60s to force it down our throats and failed miserably. Get out of that sense of defeat asap.
Do you or dont you understand hindi ?

Tamils are Indians so there wishes were adhered to. Your talking of defeat as if it was some war...i suggest you point your imaginary guns further south to sri lanka rather than north India.

Abir

So you people are fighting as to who have a paler shade of brown, ain't that funny? I know a Sikh lady and a Tamil lady, both of them are excellent human beings in their very own ways.

KS

Bye bye DFI
Do you or dont you understand hindi ?
How is that relevant here ?

Tamils are Indians so there wishes were adhered to.
Adhered to ? LOL.. You were forced to accept it and even that adherence came after more than 40 of our young people sacrificed their life for the cause and New Delhi was faced with the open risk of secession.

Your talking of defeat as if it was some war...i suggest you point your imaginary guns further south to sri lanka rather than north India.
Its not us but rather many of the North Indians I have interacted with in person and over the net who consider that imposition an unfinished business and as if some great injustice was caused against their language and India by our assertion of our linguistic pride.

sandeepdg

This was a funny letter ! Enjoyed reading it, some points are true, i would say as quoted by the girl, but still its more of a rant over a trivial issue. We all face such regional issues whenever we go out of our own regions, and we all have have our grudges, but there's no need to start a civil war over it, since at the end of the day we all need one another to grow as a nation.

Iamanidiot

The potrayal is accurate ,precise.She banged the nail on its head and truth really hurts.This can be seen from the comments to the letter.The funniest thing a small dosage of reverse racism thourughly hurt them at it.I will give her my support .She is thouroughly politically incorrect and what she did is she stated the unstated about what many south-indians think about Delhi and Delhites in general.Some of the racism that north-east people face in Delhi is even more horrible in general

Oracle

The potrayal is accurate ,precise.She banged the nail on its head and truth really hurts.This can be seen from the comments to the letter.The funniest thing a small dosage of reverse racism thourughly hurt them at it.I will give her my support .She is thouroughly politically incorrect and what she did is she stated the unstated about what many south-indians think about Delhi and Delhites in general.Some of the racism that north-east people face in Delhi is even more horrible in general
Racism is a two way street. Happens in south too. And you are right about NE people being subjected to many a things in Delhi. The main issue apart from looks of people from the North-East is that they remain within groups of themselves and not try and mix up with the local crowd. I found NCR fantastic, and no, not because they speak Hindi, but because of the ease with which I was allowed to mix up and finally accepted.

However, I would not go that far as to condemn an entire city for actions of a few. There are far better people in Delhi/North, than some racists. And same is the case in South too.

Hell! Call me a Chinki, I do not mind because that might give me a chance to mix up.

Iamanidiot

Racism is a two way street. Happens in south too. And you are right about NE people being subjected to many a things in Delhi. The main issue apart from looks of people from the North-East is that they remain within groups of themselves and not try and mix up with the local crowd. I found NCR fantastic, and no, not because they speak Hindi, but because of the ease with which I was allowed to mix up and finally accepted.

However, I would not go that far as to condemn an entire city for actions of a few. There are far better people in Delhi/North, than some racists. And same is the case in South too.

Hell! Call me a Chinki, I do not mind because that might give me a chance to mix up.
I won't blame the NE girls some of the racism they face in Delhi is unspeakable.Is every NE girls a slut that stereotype is the rule not the exception in Delhi.A mizo friend of mine mind u now she is a promising bureacrat used to work in a Mocha cafe in Delhi part time(most of them want to be independent of their parents) and her experiences were trully horrifying.she later came to Hyd for the coaching and her verdict was the south was more civilized and more respectful towards women than north.She wasn't the only one who echoed that thought many others had the same

Oracle

I won't blame the NE girls some of the racism they face in Delhi is unspeakable.Is every NE girls a slut that stereotype is the rule not the exception in Delhi.A mizo friend of mine mind u now she is a promising bureacrat used to work in a Mocha cafe in Delhi part time(most of them want to be independent of their parents) and her experiences were trully horrifying.she later came to Hyd for the coaching and her verdict was the south was more civilized and more respectful towards women than north.She wasn't the only one who echoed that thought many others had the same
I did not say I disagreed. I know it. Part of the problem lies in some, not all. Lies everywhere though.

Iamanidiot

I did not say I disagreed. I know it. Part of the problem lies in some, not all. Lies everywhere though.
The Racism one faces in Delhi is at an unacceptable level.When the other party dishes the same they act as sore pussies which is the point.One has to take as much as one dishes it out

Oracle

The Racism one faces in Delhi is at an unacceptable level.When the other party dishes the same they act as sore pussies which is the point.One has to take as much as one dishes it out
I disagree. No one has to dish it, and no one has to take it. ASAT!

But, I also know we do not live in an ideal environment.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
^^ I agree - there are other ways to combat the problem instead of indulging in 'reverse racism' against Delhiwallahs. "Iamanidiot's" point is true though, that NorthEasterners face unbearable rasicm in Delhi. Even I have heard them saying that places like Mumbai, Bangalore, Chennai and Hyderabad are much more civilized towards them.

Iamanidiot

Delhites did not like a dose of delhiness against them from a South-Indian to put it simply she is absolutely right.

A.V.

As far as treatment of women and crimes against women go, you can blindly generalise with South India.

That has nothing to do with women (treatment of, crimes against), that's a different issue. Actually, that's a non-issue. The conflict between Karnataka and Tamil Nadu is non-ethinic, it's economic. There are Kaveri river-water sharing disputes, and that's largely alleviated (if not resolved). This simple river water dispute magically becomes something much bigger and strays into ethnic or linguistic chauvinism during state elections in either states, but even that doesn't amount to a "tussle", let alone a "conflict".

Again, there's no ethnic tussle between Tamils and Kannadigas. There is a ton of economic activity between the two states.

Many communities in the South are matriarchic instead of patriarchic. To that extant, and pertaining purely to the topic, "South India" isn't a misnomer.
First of all let me tell you guys why i said so .

I am a doctor and i met patients daily need to talk to them and question them , i have visited CMC vellore( tamil nadu0 during my training and now in BLR doing my work daily . On an avg i meet 500 common people in the hospitals reached form far flung ares of the state.

The issue between TN and karnataka apart form economic is the issue of cultural dominance, i am poor with the southern languages i know a few words to help me with my clinics , when i use TAMIL spoken words to Common people in Karnataka they take offence , they ask em to speak in HINDI or english but not tamil words please , this has happened to me atleast 100,s of times.

When i spoke abt this to my seniors they adviced me not to ask anything in tamil words to people of kannada origin , the patients often told me how they de-taste the cultural invasion form the eastern borders .

This hold true for each and every society in kannada , form the educated , elite to the common man .

I am not trying to be racist or anything but the truth that i found out from the common man just told you here.

A.V.

Boy o boy...that was a true "Texas chainsaw massacre" and I can already see some "saver pack" versions sprouting coir :pound:
Amazing choice of words.:p

@AV,

Nice try playing on the Kaveri water dispute. When she meant south Indians , she meant south Indians. Moreover go take a look at the comments and see how many maharastrians and bongs identifying with her.Heck there were many northies and Punjabis too who had to grudgingly agree with the content.
LOL kaveri water dispute is a political issue , i never comment on political issues . i commented on common man in karnataka and if any kannda person is there ont he forum they will understand what i mean .

I have spoken to many of the tamilian guys many of my teachers are fromt here they are a good lot of people i have nothing against them , nor on this thread i just said that the habit that people generalize SOUTH INDIA as mR XYZ and north INDIA as MR ABC is totally wrong.

every state has its identity and his own way .

A BENGALI/biharis :- who is he NORTH INDIAN and South INDIAN ? ask any tamil guy or ask yourself ,

ANSWER :- BENGALIS are north INDIANS what the heck , bengal has its own identity its not north , the issue i can speall here very nicely but might sound a bit racist but its not .

TAMILS in general have a misconception that they represent SOUTH INDIA and they have their say on all matters in SOUTH its not true , their main idea behind this is to expand their claim over the peninsula. My Family language is bengali , heck i have no reason to learn HINDI then why do i know it , because its the national language , i have no shame in accepting this , the tolerance level and acceptance is low in some areas in india which is reason to be sad and angry at the same time.

Would you please define the bold word NORTIES for me ?

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
A.V.'s point is that there are also issues among the "South Indian" states. He is right - there are issues among all four SI states. A.V. is also 100% correct in that the omnibus term "North Indian" is used by many in the South to refer to anyone from Himachal to Delhi to Maharashtra to West Bengal. That is also an inaccurate generalization on the part of "Southies", which "Northies" have the right to be offended with :D. However, Hindi being the "National language" is a misconception. It is always good to know Hindi, it can only help you, and will certainly not harm in any way. But saying it is the "national language" and is somehow binding on Indians to learn Hindi, is incorrect.

Last edited:

Adux

Country flag
How much I hate argumentative Indians.

A.V.

^^^ Adux without an argument there is no point of a thread isnt it .

@ bangalorean :- The use of HINDI as the national language is spelled by the constitution of INDIA , nowhere does the indian learn force you to learn HINDI
As an Indian respect for the nation and its constitution is a must , even though you might not agree to it , Hindi as a national language was chosen and its still there if any other day it changes and soem other language adopts that stage we should accept that as well .

All the languages are our own we must show respect to all of them its our very own no point saying this is better than that , thats totally incorrect.

I may not like MK GANDHI personally but that does not mean i show disrespect to the father of the nation.

Hindi being the "National language" is a misconception.
I beg to differ on this , the laws are on the paper and it must be shown , evidence is what matters

For the sake of verification see the language survey details of cencus 2011 most recent results , the language bengali is spread in more numbers than any othjer southern state language , does it change anything? it doent

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
AV, just a clarification on Hindi being national language.

Accroding to Indian constitution, Hindi is one of the official language of India much like English. Hindi is NOT the national language. Actually, there is no national language defined in the constitution, only official languages. Please feel free to correct me. :D

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
^^ Come on A.V., these are the very basics. Pretty surprised that I am still having to provide links for this!!! :confused:

Just Google it. The constitution does NOT refer to Hindi as the "national language". Even the Gujarat HC has said the same in its judgement.

Hindi AND English are the official languages of the central government, that's about it. India has 15 "national languages", including Hindi, English, Bengali, Kannada, etc. etc.

EDIT: To be more precise, the central government organizations such as DRDO, NHAI, etc. use Hindi and English in their dealings, whereas state government undertakings use the local language and English. English and Hindi are the official languages of the central government. Hindi is not the sole "national language". This is a huge misconception.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles