Omar Abdullah Thread: Who cares who Omar's sleeping with!

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Poor Omar Abdullah. Talk about his various predicaments dominated an otherwise dry news week in Delhi. A political friend asked me whether or not the Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister would survive (though I humbly admit that Omar's fate is hardly in my hands). Another asked me whether or not Omar had had an affair with a TV news anchor. For God's sake, I would hardly know. And I also heard talk that his father, Dr Farooq Abdullah, would replace him as CM. It is bizarre stuff.

It's unlikely that anyone in the Government of India, particularly the Intelligence Bureau (IB) which has run Kashmir policy since BN Mullick's time, would topple Omar. A disruption in Kashmir is too risky. Remember the Amarnath Shrine Board land controversy in 2008? Anything can trigger street protests in Kashmir, and it's a headache an already beleaguered government in Delhi can do without. A friend in Srinagar says there were no stone-pelting protests this summer not because the sentiment had fizzled out, but because after three summers of protests, Kashmiris wanted to spend 2011 making some money. Also, Omar's government had made key pre-emptive arrests. But this did not mean that protests could ever be ruled out, even if winter was around the corner: recall the agitation during the winter of 1989-90.

A central government which needs all its attention to tackle price rise, corruption, Anna Hazare, internal Cabinet skirmishes, and a rapidly approaching UP assembly poll, cannot afford to nudge Kashmir into an internal security nightmare.

Article continues below the advertisement...

Also, it's unlikely that Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi will let Omar fail. One reason is what I have said in earlier columns: that Omar's reign is a preview of how Rahul will rule, when his time comes. They're almost the same age; both come from political dynasties that have had close links; both are English-medium; both have similar extra-curricular interests (like drag-racing); and both share the middle-class view of politics, that good governance is above all else (as opposed to crony capitalism or social responsibility of the State).

And while the Opposition will always be hard on Rahul, it can never be as venal as the PDP in Kashmir. Omar has a tough time that is made more difficult by his coalition partner, the Congress party, whose leader Ghulam Nabi Azad was a disastrous Chief Minister but is now keen to rehabilitate himself in the eyes of his party chief. You may argue that the Congress also has a tough time with its coalition allies, as with the Left Front during UPA-1 and as with various regional parties during UPA-2. Omar, however, has yet another shoe in his pebble: the elders in his party. These are the old National Conference bosses who know the political ropes as stalwarts generally do, but who are associated in public perception with inefficient administration and low-level corruption (and even the infamous poll-rigging of 1987).

Omar obviously felt that he should start his innings with a clean slate. This has hurt a lot of vested interests in Kashmir. And since the beginning of Omar's tenure in 2009 there have been murmurs of discontent from the NC's old guard, to the extent that they have long been pining for Dr Farooq as Chief Minister. It would be no surprise if Omar's current troubles were engineered by the old guard.

This repeated whisper-campaign to return Dr Farooq to helm J&K is baffling. Some keep referring to an imaginary father-son chasm; but even if Omar in his early days had harped more about emulating his grandfather Sheikh Abdullah, the fact of the matter is that he is Dr Farooq's son. End of story. Dr Farooq would want Omar to stick with it till the end, and find his own way in the process. Furthermore, Dr Farooq's ambitions are a bit different: for long he has wanted to go to Rashtrapati Bhawan. He should: during the darkest years in Kashmir, if there is one person who has steadily and openly flown India's flag in the Valley, it is Dr Farooq. The separatist Hurriyat fellows tell the IB one thing in private, but in public they're too afraid of the ISI's bullets to repeat what they have said. Dr Farooq deserves to be President of India, and I do believe a vacancy is coming up next year.

As for Omar, there is talk that the current controversy of the dead NC worker may be used by the Congress to force a rotational CM post, similar to the arrangement it had with the PDP. This would be a blunder, make no mistake. True, Omar has made some errors of judgment, like the handling of the Shopian rape case, and he does not help his own cause by being on twitter; there are better forms of transparency. It also doesn't help that the army, paramilitary forces and intelligence agencies do not cede power to him.

Omar is on a learning curve and is sure to play an important role in Kashmir in the years to come. If the government of India is interested in investing in Kashmir, it will let Omar find his way; it will let the democratic process take its own course.

Aditya Sinha: Who cares who Omar’s sleeping with! - Analysis - DNA

Cliff@sea

C'est la vie
Country flag
:troll:

Omar Abdullah's Kashmir Ki Kali

So the cupid has struck once again. People are used to the film stars calling off their marriages to be with their soul-mates. When such a news story breaks out, nobody gives a rat's ass dismissing it as some gimmick to remain in the news. For the film stars any publicity is good publicity. This is another thing that people have learnt to see through their impulsive tantrums.

But when the news of a young high-profile politician involved in a romantic dalliance breaks out, the people's curiosity knows no bounds. Media too plays to the gallery and the alleged lady love gets hounded out within no time with all sorts of theories floating around right from the couple having tied a secret knot to who's who of India's elite attended their wedding reception to who blessed the couple. Adding to the gist of rumour mills are those anonymous sources supposedly close to the couple ready to give sound bytes on the conditions of anonymity. Welcome to the vibrant media of our country.

The recent examples are Chaand-Fiza and Shashi Tharoor-Sunanda Pushkar. While the latter couple is happily married and now away from the media glare, the former has been going through a rough patch with many flip-flops and bucketful of tears. Public interest in both the above-mentioned stories have waned. The latest romantic scandal doing the round involves a very dapper Jammu & Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah and drop-dead gorgeous NDTV news anchor Nidhi Razdan. Their alleged romantic affair has put the cyberspace on fire and people don't seem to have had enough of the juicy tit-bits of both these high profile individuals' private lives.

Is it fair or unfair to indulge in the gossiping of the private lives of the high and mighty? There cannot be smoke without fire. Who leaked the stories of this juicy affair to the media? The question assumes more importance for the simple reason that one of them is a high-profile anchor belonging to a powerful and well-connected media house. Who had the inside information? What is the motive behind leaking this story? Personal and professional rivalries always play a great role in such murky affairs. Detractors are always lurking in shadows to strike behind the back when the proper opportunity presents itself. The whole saga smacks of some rival trying to settle the scores or get even.

Omar Abdullah has been denying these rumours of his involvement with the news anchor. However, in a statement released to the media he has admitted that his marriage with his wife of 17 years has been on the rocks fuelling the speculation that the rumours doing the round might be true. Omar Abdullah is going through a delicate phase in his private life. He has a right to privacy. He has been urging media to respect his privacy and leave him and his family alone until he successfully sorts out the differences and puts his house back in order.

How naïve he is in assuming that his privacy has any chances of getting the respect he has been demanding so vehemently. His friends have come to his rescue by asking the Chief Minister to show restraint by ignoring the rumours. Nidhi Razdan's colleagues too have taken umbrage at the foul language being used about her in the cyberspace. Will this help in stopping the menace that is galloping at a threatening space? This affair is bound to raise many passions. Love is blind. It knows no religion, caste, creed and boundary. Unfortunately, this holds true for those in love as their love has transcended the above mentioned obstacles and has brought them together. But people opposed to them are bound to play up the divisive issues to create hurdles in the paths of the lovers.

Here are a few words of caution (however unsolicited). When the passions are running as high as this, it's better to lie low for a while and ignore them. Paying attention to them will only add fuel to the fire. Denying the rumours (if they are true) will not help nor rumours will die down. Instead flashing the wedding invitation with the wedding date embossed in gold letters will set those looking to inflict the maximum damage on back foot. If the enemy is cleverer, the only way to beat him is to keep him guessing by staying one step ahead.

Make love and not war. Keep the flame of love burning and let it rise so high and spread so wide that the entire nation should start falling in love. When everybody in this country is in love, nobody will have time to let off the gossip that will leave our high profile politicians and anchors embarrassed. No denial will be required because the love will be in the air and it will be reigning supreme. So come fall in love. Please don't oppose those who are in love. They are blessed. We need more people in love than people out of love.

Omar Abdullah's Kashmir Ki Kali « Dream

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Nidhi Razdan is NOT drop dead gorgeous. Plijjj!! :facepalm:

Cliff@sea

C'est la vie
Country flag
Nidhi Razdan is NOT drop dead gorgeous. Plijjj!! :facepalm:
Its ok . . . Omar Abdullah too isn't "sweep you off your feet" handsome either . . .

Everyone likes a change of flavour once in while . . :D

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Nidhi Rajdhan is one of the most pleasant and non combative anchor.

And she is demur and good looking.

Shaili Chopra would be drop dead?

I also like that cute round looking girl in Property on NDTV profit even though I have no interest in Property, I do watch it sometime to see this bubbly girl!

I find that woman from NDTV called Natasha Bhog amusing with her dropping her voice in a whisper at the end of some sentences thinking she is very chic and her lips twisting grotesquely when she pronounces some words.

Of course, Bakra Dutt is getting fat by the day!

Last edited:

VIP

Ultra Nationalist
Country flag
Nidhi Rajdhan is one of the most pleasant and non combative anchor.

And she is demur and good looking.

Shaili Chopra would be drop dead?

I also like that cute round looking girl in Property on NDTV profit even though I have no interest in Property, I do watch it sometime to see this bubbly girl!

I find that woman from NDTV called Natasha Bhog amusing with her dropping her voice in a whisper at the end of some sentences thinking she is very chic and her lips twisting grotesquely when she pronounces some words.

Of course, Bakra Dutt is getting fat by the day!
You should watch CNBC TV18. Mitali Mukharjee, Shirin Bhan, etc...:drool:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles